“Budget hotel but with great staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caswell Hotel

Ranked #829 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Budget hotel but with great staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked the hotel through the late rooms which portrayed black bedspreads and pictures on the wall.
When I arrived there the room was of box size and extremely small. I didn't particularly like the decor and felt a little bit more effort could have been made with minimal cost. The pictures on late rooms are very deceiving! My coffee cup was chipped and my newspaper I left in the room the first night was taken which I had brought to take back to my father.
Although it us what it is, the area is great and it is close to everywhere!
The only reason I would stay there again would be because of the staff! On arrival the Spanish receptionist was do friendly and helpful! The breakfast staff were lovely especially the girl with the straight blonde hair! In general wonderful staff!
Only thing that let's the hotel down is the decor!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear StaffsCountryFella
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.
I have noted your comment about the pictures on late rooms.com These have been updated. These images are general overview of the hotel. I also would like to apologies for taking the newspaper. We have reiterated the lost property procedures to all of our cleaning staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

email: nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I want to be short: this 'hotel' is okay for one-night-staying (if you don't get the rooms downstairs next to the toilet and the breakfast room). Everything is old and hackneyed, the beds also.
So, if you want to stay for a few days in London, I would choose something else..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

3 Thank Ginger B
Dear GingerB

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your I value all the feedback that we receive as I allows us to improve the experience for other guests.

I am sorry to learn we were unable to meet your expectations on this visit. We also have some en suite rooms which may have been more suitable for you. Our decor is old but clean.

email:nimesh@hotellondon.co.uk

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Encinitas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

If you're traveling to London on a budget then I definitely recommend the Caswell. The rooms are small and without many amenities, but you're visiting London, you shouldn't be spending a whole lot of time in the room. The staff is the highlight of the experience at the hotel, so friendly and helpful. A.B. was especially helpful and pleasant. The neighborhood on Gloucester is very quiet and mostly apartments. Close to some great restaurants, near Victoria station and Westminster abbey. If you're not looking for frills and looking to save some cash in an expensive city then the Caswell is for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank MorganSurf
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Morgansurf

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a great stay.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am grateful for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have never complained about a hotel in over 20 years of travel but this was the limit. When we opened the door to the family room we'd booked, my heart just sank. The room was stinking, the carpets were disgustingly old and dirty, and the furniture was truly ancient and battered. The two thin curtains differed in length by a good two inches.We could barely move in the tiny room and kept falling over our cases which couldn't be placed anywhere but in the middle of the room. I spent each day dreading returning to that room. Everyone else looked miserable in the dining room in the morning. Whilst the area is great and is very central, it's definitely worth staying further out of the centre of the city for a better room. Whatever you do, don't book into this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank L D
Dear LD

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I appreciate your feedback and also the fact that we are not are not to everyone’s tastes. We aim to provide great value budget accommodation in the heart of London. Our decor is very dated but we ensure that we keep it clean so that we can keep the price low for our guests. We are in the process of having the carpets cleaned throughout the hotel.

I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this visit.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I prepaid a non refundable price, so now im stuck here for 4 days. it is dirty! everything is dirty! I asked to get out and was told no. I have seen cleaner fraternity houses. Stay away listen to the people that call it a toilet

3 Thank Dominic G
Dear Dominic G

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience on tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am sorry to learn that you are not happy with your stay. I would like to know more about where did you feel dirty in the hotel so we can make changes on that points. Once again I am sorry that we did not meet you expectations on this visit.

Esperance, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Caswell is a basic hotel with quite dated decor but the service is amazing: the staff were friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. It's a rare thing for a budget traveller to be made to feel like a valued guest! The rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank susicubed
ManagerCaswell, Manager at Caswell Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Susicubed

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very important to me as it highlights where we need to make changes to give everyone a comfortable stay.

I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us also would like to thank you for your comment on service and location. I am look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are in London.

email : Nimesh@hotelLondon.co.uk