“An oasis of calm”

$38.83*
Royal Observatory and Thames River Cruise in London
Ranked #133 of 1,679 things to do in London
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have just discovered the churchyard of Southwark Cathedral whilst searching for somewhere to have my lunch. Usually I sit on the south bank near The Anchor, but I wanted to avoid the crowds.

Tucked away, there are a number of benches outside and lots of space to sit and enjoy the fabulous architecture and stain glass windows of the cathedral. Perhaps if i have more time, I will pop inside and take a peek too.

I am sure this place will not stay a secret for long. So Shhh! No telling ;)

1  Thank ClareMcK
There are newer reviews for Southwark Cathedral

Reviewed June 3, 2014

After a day of exploring London we arrived in time for afternoon tea before Evensong. The service was marvellous (girls and men on May 22). the choir was superb, and the girls have a wonderful sound. We only wish that we'd had more time to look around the cathedral. It is tucked away lower than street level, but still has an amazing tranquility about it. Another time.

3  Thank MEBJHB
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Squeezed into this busy corner of the city with Borough Market and the River Thames as neighbours, this ancient and historical site is a delightful oasis of calm. I happened to be there for 4pm evensong after a long day touring the local sites on foot. Angelic music and singing with the welcome relief of a seat was a perfect antidote to the bustling city outside the door.

1  Thank EleyC
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I will say straight up that I really liked Southwark Cathedral - it's bright and airy, without losing any of its historical character, and there are some interesting tombs and monuments to look at, too. However, unlike many churches, there are no free information leaflets or signs: if you want any kind of information about the Cathedral, you have to pay £4 for a guidebook, which annoyed me somewhat as I had already gladly paid the recommended voluntary £4 admission charge, clearing me out of change. The member of staff I spoke to was clearly only interested in persuading me to pay for a guidebook, and lost interest when I made clear I had no money to do so. I eventually got some information about the Cathedral when I got home, by looking on the internet.

I really don't object to supporting churches and cathedrals - in fact I go out of my way to do so - but I do wish they would make the charges clear up-front. As it was, the situation left a rather bad taste in the mouth, and spoiled what would otherwise have been a pleasant visit.

4  Thank Cat P
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Beautiful architecture, friendy people who will guide you through the transepts and aisles. Divine music will accpmpany you (if you're lucky as I was). A choir rehersal was on-going :-) About 10 key things you should see there:

1. Shakespear Memorial
7. John Gower's tomb
8. Prayer Map of Zimbabwe
9. Marchioness Memorial
10. Archeological Chamber

If you want to take pictures, a nice man will approach you and ask to donate 2,5 GBP. I did it gladly and willingly.