“Touring the Sambourne House is Visiting a Dear Friend from the Past”

18 Stafford Terrace - The Sambourne Family Home
Ranked #381 of 1,728 things to do in London
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I love this museum so much that I went twice during 2012. My daughter was studying for the semester in London and discovered the Sambourne House. It is a unique experience—part theatre, part history lesson, part architecture/design. Linley Sambourne was chief cartoonist for Punch in the Victorian era. The Sambournes traveled in the artistic and business circles of the time. The tour is conducted by Mrs. Sambourne herself (I absolutely believe it was Mrs. Sambourne!) and she has an exhaustive knowledge of the house and the family. Her interaction with the “guests” on the tour is priceless and makes each tour unique. Educational and entertaining! I recommend this amazing tour to anyone visiting London!

2  Thank RecentTravel

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Take the steps to the basement entrance of 18 Stafford Terrace where you are received. You then get to see a short video about the house and its inhabitants before moving upstairs to be met by the lady of the house. The actress who plays Marion Linley was dressed in period outfit and with her quaint 19th century way we were given a guided tour through the house to be told about each room and life in the days of former Punch cartoonist Edward Linley Sambourne. The tours are by appointment only so ring ahead first to book.

1  Thank Swedishtomcat
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Loved my visit to 18 Stafford Terrace! first a short film about the house then you are taken to the front of the house to knock at the door, Mrs Sanbourne answers completely in character and then shows you around her home, she talks about her family and daily life and encourages you to ask any questions which she will happily answer. The pictures all over the house that were drawn by Mr Sanbourne (the punch cartoonist) were amazing! Mrs Sanbourne was really funny and kept us all interested for about an hour.
I think my only critisicm is that there were a bit too many booked on the tour which made getting in the rooms a bit of a crush!
There is a little bookshop, I bought Mrs Sanbournes Diaries and Im really enjoying reading it.
A lovely visit that brought history to life, loved it!

2  Thank Helen503775
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I found out about 18 Stafford Terrace from a visit to the beautiful Leighton house. I initially tried to book in the summer but it was closed for restoration. I then booked for last Saturday (20 Oct), what a special hour, you first enter the basement, browse the little shop, visit the pantry (WC), then you watch a short film, emersing you in the life of the house and its residents. You emerge from the basement and the true time travel starts. Mrs Sambourne was a delight, coping with a large group of guests and conjuring up the late 1800s. I cant recommend highly enough the house is truely loved and i thank the Sambournes son and following generations for such a timeless gift giving insight into our distant past.

2  Thank trutips
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Having an interest in the Victorian Era the Sambourne house was a must-see on my most recent trip to London - and am I ever glad I visited. This middle-class Victorian town house has been featured in two (that I know of) BBC series on the period - "The Victorians" and the currently running "Servants" and is well known as an outstandingly preserved Victorian home. As an American I was not too familiar with the work of Mr. Sambourne, but after doing some research was fascinated by this interesting individual. I booked the Sunday afternoon costume tour and would recommend this tour for future visitors. As other reviewers noted, you start out in the "downstairs" area for a brief introductory video, then you are escorted outside to the visitors entrance to the house where we were met at the door by "Mrs. Sambourne" who conducted the tour. A fascinating house, wonderfully decorated, and a terrific guide who stayed in her role the entire time. One note: many steep stairs, so this is not recommended for those who may be "mobility challenged". If you have a little more time to spare I'd suggest coupling a visit to the Sambourne's with the nearby Frederick Leighton house and museum, about a ten minute walk away. On my next trip to London I plan on visiting once more, this time to take the "conventional tour" just to get a little more detail on the house architecture and the many artifacts contained inside it.

2  Thank horseandporsche