“RHS Chelsea flower show”

Royal Hospital Chelsea
Ranked #236 of 1,736 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: The Royal Hospital Chelsea was founded in 1682 by King Charles II as the home of the Chelsea Pensioners. As well as being a wonderful home for retired service personnel, it is also one of London's best kept secrets! For the best overview of the history of the Hospital, plus fascinating insights into life as a Chelsea Pensioner today, why not book one of the daily walking tours? These last around ninety minutes and are always led by one of the Chelsea Pensioners, who will take great pride in showing you around their fascinating home. Tours include the Royal Hospital's Great Hall, Wren Chapel, Figure Court, Ranelagh Gardens (subject to the time of year) museum and gift shop. Tours begin at 10:00am and 1.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays). Please note that this tour covers internal and external spaces, and will include stairs.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

First ever visit, we joined RHS so we could go on member only day, still crowded - can,t imagine what public days are like,and £55 a bit steep, but a truly memorable day. Great Pavillion is breathtaking and show gardens are great but you need to have sharp elbows to see them. Food expensive and seating at a premium. We stayed at London Ealing hotel 20 mins away on district line, and filled up on lovely breakfast before going- I would recommend doing something similar rather than travel there and back in a day which would be very tiring (if live outside London)
A once in a lifetime experience for better and worse- I e I wouldn't,t need to go back anytime soon.

1  Thank mikefre3

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Have never been to the Chelsea flower show before, and would recommend it to everyone. We had tickets for the evening session (5.30 - 8pm) and this was plenty of time to look at everything. The flower displays in the marquee are inspiring, so colourful and vibrant and the smell from some of the blooms are gorgeous. Very busy as you would expect, but as the night progressed the crowds dispersed and you were able to see the displays more clearly. The food looked (and smelled) great, but there was no where to sit and eat so we decided to eat outside of the show. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank DJinks
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Sadly, the day we were at the RHS Flower Show was the day it rained...... However, we enjoyed the early part of our visit before the rain really started and before the crowds became too frustrating. Our first visit, so lots to take in. Loved the gardens we saw, and the Great Pavilion displays. We were treated to a sit-down lunch at the Rock Bank Restaurant - fine dining indeed. Wonderful food and service, although extremely pricey!
Tip for the future - arrive at 8am and walk round all the gardens first before crowds arrive. The pavilion and trade stands are manageable with crowds, the gardens less so.

2  Thank Jockette
Reviewed May 25, 2013

It's a great opportunity to see the plants your average garden centre doesn't stock. Also you get to see the flowers at their best which inspires you so much. The Great Pavillion was a myriad of colours and scents. The only downside being the crowds but as I was part of that can't complain. I bought some very unusual bulbs in the Pavillion and was surmised as they weren't extortionate.

The gardens outside were inspirational but again it was the crowds that were the issue as had to wait for some time and jostle to get to the front. The surrounding kiosks selling every garden piece imaginable, pictures, soaps, etc were interesting but most of the furniture, statues and the likes were very much out of my price range.

Would I go again? Yes but not every year, you see more on tv, you go for the scent and the colours that the natural beauty that the tv can't quite capture. My one request would be ban umbrellas. It was raining heavily most of the time we were there and I got stabbed too many times to count by people carrying umbrellas. Several people wore plastic ponchos which meant brollies not needed, so much kinda to my poor battered head. Also short people with brollies standing at the front looking at a garden mean no one can get near or see over them, makes it harder to see. Still I survived.

Lots of places to buy food, had a lovely hot chocolate at very reasonable cost (very warming on a cold wet day). Didn't eat as thought that was a little over priced but plenty of places to eat your own sandwiches. Loos for the ladies had the usual queues but were very clean indeed and loved the bottled hand soap and lovely hand cream, made it the poshest loo in a tent I've ever used.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is my 3rd visit and my excitement has not waned.Wonderful exhibition of plants ,flowers and displays. Just perfection. The only thing I do not like is the price of refreshments and the huge queues to obtain them which is why it is far better to eat outside of the the show. Although the purbeck ice cream is still the best in the land.