New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #5 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“The Goring Hotel: Pure Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I took my first ever trip to London this past April. As a birthday splurge for myself - I wanted an old elegant hotel with some history. The Goring did not disappoint. In fact - my stay at the Goring was by far the most wonderful hotel experience I've ever had in my life. The hotel itself is beautiful, the beds are a dream, there are towel warmers in the bathrooms and Afternoon Tea is delicious. But the service is second to none. I've never had such service; they were always anticipating my needs before I realized them myself. I mentioned in passing to the concierge one morning that I was thinking about visiting Hampton Court. When I returned to the front desk later to get my key - they had printed out maps and visitor information for Hampton Court. Another morning - while having breakfast in their gorgeous dining room - I saw one of the wait staff approaching me from across the room, unfolding a napkin. I thought that was odd since I already had a napkin. Then I glanced down and noticed that my napkin had fallen to the floor. I hadn't even realized it. But the wait staff had noticed before I did and was bringing me another one! Seriously! Who does that? That is the kind of attention you can expect at The Goring. And the location was perfect. If one turns left out the hotel and travels about a block - you'll soon see Victoria Station. If one turns right and goes to the end of the street - you'll be walking along the walls of Buckingham Palace. It was so easy to get every where. I wish everyone could experience The Goring. I am already planning how I can return again soon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank MsWincham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I went to London the first week of May on a business trip. My plane arrived from the States 1 hour earlier than my scheduled arrival and I arrived at the airport at 5:30am. I was picked up at the Heathrow Airport and arrived at the Goring at 6:45am. I was greeted warmly at the front door and to my pleasant suprise I was given a room right away and I was taking a nap by 7:15am. That set the tone that everything was to go right on this trip and that the Hotel staff did everything it possibly could for you. The room was clean and bigger than the usual London Hotel. The warm bathroom floor and warming rack for the towels was a great touch. I had book the room online directly with the hotel and I paid $250 a night which was a great bargain for the class of the Hotel. The location was great, next to Victoria train station, Buckingham Palace and many other sights and restaurants that were within walking distance. When I go back to London I will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank LuckyLeoNJ
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Our family members have been staying at The Goring for quite a few years. After an absence of two years, we just returned from spending a Bank Holiday Weekend there. Lots has changed in the rooms and bathrooms--much more glitz and glitter. The lighting system in the rooms is very, very technologically sophisticate and it takes a while to get used to all the new controls and options.We were disappointed in the "new" bathrooms. We changed rooms because the first bathroom had what the staff described as a "wet shower", which meant that the drainage system allowed water to spread all over the already slippery floor. The second bathroom had a great shower and good drainage, but the towel rack was 10 feet from the shower with no place to deposit a towel any closer--so, one had to shuffle the distance across the marble floor to get a towel after shower.

The dining room has long been our favorite place to dine in London, but this time it was not as good as usual. Our pre-show dinner could only be described as mediocre at best.

The best news about The Goring is that while despite some retirements of key member, the staff is still absolutely superb. The doormen, room service people, concierges, servers in the dining room and lounge bar are special people. They are warm, friendly, competent, and a joy to be with.

Would we return to The Goring? Of course! Maybe we will get accustome to the new-fangled control systems in the rooms, and the ultra modern bathrooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Lendrum
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

My husband and I have been visiting The Goring for the last nine or ten years. We start and end our holiday at this amazing hotel. This is a family-owned hotel that retains the style and charm of a classic British hotel without the snobbery of higher priced "luxury" hotels. The staff is amazing - from the doormen to the reception folks, to the dining room staff, everyone is trained to focus on making the guests feel comfortable and taken care of. The Restaurant is five-star and truly a "dining experience." The Dining Room itself is spectacular. There is no better place to have tea in London, and the lounge is a great place to relax with a coctail. If you want to feel comfortable, taken care of, and get the best food and most importantly, the best staff in London, stay at The Goring. We love it and will go back year after year. Cheers to The Goring!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pamald
Portsmouth, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

We spent 7 days at the Goring and could not have been more satisfied. The location, near Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station, is convenient to all public transportation. Our room was spotless and comfortable, with endless attention to detail and service by the housekeeping staff. We were even able to check in well before the traditional time after a long overseas flight. The concierge got us tickets to two sold-out events and was helpful with local transportation and events tips. We had breakfast there daily and enjoyed a lovely high tea one afternoon because the food and service were both so good. This is a great hotel for those who want to experience gracious and hospitable British service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank RIpsych
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

This is old english luxury. Not the usual hotel I go for but this was abolutely fantastic. The best service ever and very clean.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelopinion-uk
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Stayed at the goring with my wife and 8 year old twins for a week. We stayed in the family accomodations(two connecting rooms) which was simply fanatastic. Its hard to describe how truly incredible the staff is at this hotel - from the moment you walk in you feel the entire staff is personally invested in your experience. Fantastic breakfast and afternoon tea. Probably the most surprising was in such a high end hotel with a lot of professionals, our children were welcomed with open arms - even to the point of making cookies with the chef in the kitchen one afternoon. This hotel sets the standard for service - tickets to anything you want, even sold out shows were procured without a problem - we can not wait to return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family