“Quiet sophistication and comfort”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #4 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Goring is a small, gem nestled just behind Buckingham Palace. A short walk to Victoria Station makes covering all of London's key sites a breeze via the Tube. And, it's an easy walk to the Palace grounds and the beautiful walkways and park that surrounds the palace. It is an expensive place to stay but the service was top notch -- it was impressive that the doorman and the concierge greeted us by name each time we returned to the hotel in the afternoon. The concierge was very helpful and made our stay stress-free by providing advice and helping us secure tickets to the venues. The rooms are lovely and comfortable with US outlets in the room as well as UK outlets -- a nice surprise. Dining in both the bar/lounge and the formal dining room was outstanding. Top notch service and delicious food. I would return to the Goring again and recommend it highly for the discriminating traveler who is looking for a superior, high-end experience and willing to spend a premium price for it.

Room Tip: Lower rooms allow for easy access via lovely staircase.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Lee S,

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us in May.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. It is always a joy to read that guests have enjoyed every aspect of their time from being greeted at the door to the food they sampled in either the Lounge or the Dining Room. Our team pride themselves on addressing each of our guests by name and I am thrilled that this has been acknowledged.

I have to agree, Big John and his Concierge team have a wealth of knowledge on what to see and do in London. They are also brilliant at securing tickets to ensure you don’t have to queue and have the best seats in the house.

We are all thrilled that you would highly recommend The Goring to any traveller looking for a high end experience and we hope to welcome to back before too long.

With warm regards,

Graham Copeman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My first time in this superb hotel. Great location in quiet street. Beautiful garden with resident duck and new ducklings , a lovely quiet place for food or drink devoid of the surrounding hustle and bustle of the city. Very friendly and professional staff. Superb breakfast - silver service , cooked to order. No ubiquitous buffet ! Room a little on the small side but very well appointed.
Very close to the useful hub of Victoria train station

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear graham w,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that you had a fantastic first time experience with us. It is true we are so lucky with our location tucked away on Beeston Place but just moments from Victoria Station and plenty of London’s top sights.

I am thrilled that you found the team to be friendly and professional and that our breakfast was the perfect start to your day. Our resident duck and her ducklings have become celebrities in recent weeks and I can assure they are thriving on the attention!

We hope that we will welcome you back to our oasis that is The Goring before too long.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Famous for the Kate and William wedding. Lovely hotel in very central London position. Room and bathroom were first class. Our room was on the front and on that particular night suffered from a lot of street noise, not the hotel's fault of course. Service was excellent and breakfast was very good. Room rates were very high and prices for drinks expensive. Overall a great hotel for those that can afford it.

Room Tip: If you like to have your windows open for fresh air at night then maybe a room at the back might be...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johartrog
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear johartrog,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us at The Goring.

I am delighted that you thought that the hotel was lovely and in a great location. We are very lucky be tucked away on a quiet street but within a moment’s walk of some of London’s top sights and attractions. With our central London location with of course do have some ambient noise from the surrounding area. However there is never a need to open a window in a bedroom at The Goring as O. R. Goring installed air conditioning in 1921 ensuring that all the temperature in each of the rooms can be adjusted to the guest’s preferences.

We are thrilled that you found the service to be excellent during your time with us and enjoyed your breakfast. From all of us at The Goring we hope that you will return before too long and of course please do request one of our garden facing rooms for your next stay.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My family stayed at the goring for 7 days and had a wonderful experience. The service was exceptional and the staff went out of their way to give us anything we needed. I would highly recommend The Goring Hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 2011Cindy
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear 2011Cindy,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent seven night stay with us.

I am delighted that you found the service during your stay to be exceptional and that you were well looked after no matter what you needed.

We are thrilled that you would recommend a stay at The Goring and we hope to welcome back before too long.

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I went with friends to The Goring for a drink - I have been a few times before and have always enjoyed the aptosphere. At this visit it was very crowded but we were served quickly - once seated they bring round trays of nibbles - very tempting!.
The Goring is a small hotel but one of my favourites - very central (not far brom Buckinham Palace). The doorman was very friendly as soon as we stepped out of the taxi made us feel very welcome
Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julia C

Dear Julia C,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent visit to our Lounge Bar.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the atmosphere and the canapés which I have to agree are very tempting!

We are thrilled that we are one of your favourite London hotels and hope that we will see you soon for a drink and another selection of nibbles.

With warm regards,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

A superb welcome from a doorman (Peter?) whose front of house colleagues were all top drawer. Check in was a delight and made us feel special right from the off. The reception and lounge bar area is wonderful, and since it's not that large manages the quiet intimacy thing easily. We chose a Delightful Queen Bedded room which was lovely. Whilst on the small side, this is an old family run central London hotel and what may sometimes be missing in space is more than made up for with authentic charm. The whole place is classy without being too stuffy. Very 'warm'.

The only negative was that breakfast service was poor. Lots of willingness to please but just muddled orders and random delivery of servings, with many reminders needed. In fact I subsequently wrote to the Manager and got a nice reply thanking me for the feedback, but since friends of ours had the same experience I thought it worth mentioning here. (Amazing to us how many 'top' places get this aspect of their service wrong, and since for most guests this is their final experience of a hotel before checkout I'd have thought this was pretty important to get right). Anyway, my feeling is that they'll sort it out - they seem sincere, very nice people throughout - and I am sure my wife and I would choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MusicLovingCouple

Dear MusicLovingCouple,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay in April at The Goring.

I am delighted that you enjoyed a superb welcome from Peter our Doorman and that that the rest of the Front of House team followed his lead. It is always lovely to read that our guests have felt well looked after by the team and that they have also enjoyed the intimacy of our hotel.

Further to our previous correspondence I am very sorry that you were disappointed by the service at breakfast. It is very unusual for us to receive complaints about our breakfast and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again and show you how it normally is.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night at the start of a holiday (as leaving on the Orient Express from the nearly station).

The staff were exceptionally attentive from the moment we arrived outside the front door.

The room we had overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel and struck the right balance between traditional (fabric wall covering) and modern (brilliant shower and bathroom) luxury.

When we arrived the room was not ready and so we were escorted in the lounge and served with coffee - and champagne - while waiting.

It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, cheap, but it is certainly a great place for a treat. I understand (although didn't partake) that its afternoon teas are one of the best in London - but they deliberately don't 'market' them like the Ritz and Savoy do. We will test this when next in London!

Breakfast was a buffet but requests were dealt with promptly (my wife requested porridge) without a fuss.

I cannot think of anything by which they could improve the experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear dshep,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us before your trip on the Orient Express.

I am delighted that you felt well looked after from the moment you arrived at our front door. Our team pride themselves on ensuring that every guest is made to feel at home from the minute they arrive and it is always lovely to hear that this is the case.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your buffet breakfast and that you received your wife received her porridge without delay. We do not normally offer a buffet to our guests as we prefer to serve our guests at their table. We had arranged a special buffet for you and the other guests leaving for the Orient Express that morning so you wouldn’t be delayed for the train.

We are all incredibly proud that we met your expectations and couldn’t have changed anything to make your stay more pleasurable. We look forward to welcoming you for afternoon tea when you are next in London - I can assure you there are plenty of tasty treats on offer!

With warmest wishes,