“Enjoyable atmosphere”

Ranked #6 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable atmosphere”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My partner and I were recently treated to a Bollinger Afternoon Tea experience at The Goring. The intimate, calm and warm atmosphere created the perfect atmosphere to enjoy such a special occasion. I would certainly recommend this venue and experience as a gift for a special person- excellent, attentive service. Food was delicious and very filling! Great choice of a wide variety of teas and this was 'on tap'; as soon as the cup was placed back in the saucer, waiting staff were keen to top up. Not too formal, but attentive service. Only slight gaps were scuff marks on some skirting boards and toilet rolls collecting on the window ledge-nothing major but a let down for a hotel of this standard/reputation.

2 Thank Mintymagic
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Mintymagic,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your Bollinger Afternoon Tea at The Goring.
We are all thrilled that you especially enjoyed the atmosphere and felt that it was perfect for such a special occasion. Afternoon Tea at The Goring is certainly something not to be missed; I am especially partial to the chocolate eclairs!

I am delighted that you feel that tea at The Goring is the perfect gift for a special person and we do hope that you will be back to join us again.

With best wishes,

Graham Copeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

In London for a concert at the new St James Theatre, just a few minutes walk from The Goring. Had a fabulous stay, wonderful service from the staff. Rupert on the door made us feel very special by knowing our name when we pulled up in the car, a lovely touch. The hotel was full on our visit, but we never felt rushed or forgotten. The room (48) was beautifully furnished and as other reviewers have said, the beds are amazingly comfortable - fortunately we stayed on the night the clocks went back, so we got an extra hour in bed! Yes it's pricey, but as they say, you get what you pay for! By way of a recommendation, all I can say is we won't be staying anywhere else when we're next in London.

2 Thank GAK12_12
Dear GAK12_12,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled that you had a fabulous stay with us which started with a warm welcome from Rupert. I have passed on your comments to him and he is chuffed to pieces to have been mentioned.

We are all delighted that you will be returning to The Goring and that from now on we will be your first port of call.

With warm wishes,

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed for two nights recently. Location, Staff, Room, Dining all 5 Star. Shoes left out for polishing were returned next morning "gift wrapped" in a box. A very nice touch showing hotel's
meticulous dedication to every detail of service. Reservation calls and emails handled promptly,
with professional but delightful courtesy. Our room facing the quiet street was fine; courtyard view rooms are available too. Hotel will gladly advance cash (Sterling) and provide tourist tickets against your room account. Ambiance: friendly formality.

Room Tip: Rooms with courtyard view are available.
3 Thank pointq
Dear pointq,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of The Goring.

I am thrilled that you found everything to be 5 stars whether it be the location of the hotel or the staff within it. Our team at The Goring certainly make the hotel and they are all delighted by your comments.

We do hope that you will return to The Goring in the not too distant future. I am sure your shoes will need another polish soon!

With warm regards,

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had just come from the Champs Elysees Plaza Hotel in Paris which did blow us away and had free wireless and TV and the staff was amazing - very welcoming and beyond helpful. Perhaps I would have been more impressed with The Goring without that experience in Paris. We have stayed in lovely, first class hotels all over the world, and I would say The goring is equal to the better ones but it did not blow me away. For the price, service was what one would expect and perhaps a bit less. Staff were courteous and helpful but again, what I would expect.
We were surprised that we had to pay for wireless internet and TV- again , for the price, this would be an expected amenity.
Breakfast in the restaurant was fine but nothing special.
Now - having said the above - the location is grand! Convenient to the Tube and the On and Off Bus and in a very safe locale near some great little restaurants.
All in all, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear scom4t,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled that you feel we match other first class hotels that you have stayed in around the world. We are very lucky with our location in London despite being on a quiet street ourselves we are only moments from some of the best that the city has to offer.

With kind regards,

Midland, Texas
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Goring from Oct. 15-20th. When we arrived before noon our room was ready and they upgraded us to a room located on the garden side.

Checking in was very swift and easy and they made us feel welcomed from the very beginning..

The room (59) was well-appointed and very elegant. The bed was SO comfortable with fine linens and soft pillows. I loved the large bathtub and the shower was nice with good water pressure.

I liked the concierge staff at the hotel. They were all gracious and accommodating and all the staff including the doorman called us by name. The hotel was extremely efficient at providing customer satisfaction.

I celebrated my birthday while in London. I happened to mention that to the concierge and days later on my birthday they sent me a bottle of champagne with a hand-written card wishing me a Happy Birthday! I was touched by this gesture.

We had room service one night and the food was good and presented nicely. We ate breakfast twice in the dining room and it was good. Pricey though.

I like to have coffee first thing in the morning. I asked about coffee service and they sent a hospitality tray with instant coffee, assorted teas, and a hot water pot. It was so convenient to have that in the room so I didn't have to order room service.

In general, I highly recommend The Goring for a wonderful stay in London. Great location too..

I am a runner and they offer jogging guides. Runs were great in St.James and Hyde PArks

Room Tip: Stay on garden side. View is pretty and very quiet!
2 Thank Cynthia R
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Cynthia R,

Thank you very much for your delightful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

The team and I were delighted that you chose to spend your birthday with us and are thrilled that we could play a small part in your celebrations.

I am thrilled that you felt totally at home in Room 59 and that you had plenty of time to soak in the bath, hopefully while sipping your birthday champagne!
We do hope that you will return to visit us again in your special place in London.

With kindest regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel late september for 5 nights. Wow! This hotel is truly amazing. I was fortunate enough to be upgraded to a King room. The room was full of the comforts you enjoy when holidaying. It was quiet, the pillows were comfy and the Molton Brown amenities were lovely. The Room service and food were of superior service. The reception staff were exceptionally lovely and went out of their way to be helpful. Nothing was of any effort for the concierge. The service was outstanding. This is the only hotel I would stay at now in London and I have stayed in many before. Truly spoilt! Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan S
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Susan S,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of The Goring.

We are all thrilled that you thought the hotel was truly amazing and that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I am delighted that our Concierge team were able to help you with anything you needed and that our Reception team were on hand to greet you so warmly.

Thank you so much for your amazing accolade that we are ‘The Hotel in London’ and that you won’t stay anywhere else from now on. Hopefully it won’t be too long until you visit us again.

With warm wishes,

Caesarea, Israel
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I loved my stay at the Goring. I felt like a real princess. The treatment by the various personnel was excellent and fastidious. Every question, every request, was answered. The room was turned out beautifully, the facility is spotless and comfortable. I felt right at home; as if it were my own little corner of the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cvwgi
Dear cvwgi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay at The Goring.
I am thrilled that you loved you stay at The Goring and felt like a princess during your time with us. It is always wonderful to hear that our guests felt completely at home with us.

We look forward to welcoming you and the family back to The Goring in the not too distant future.

With warm regards,