“A real classic London hotel”
Review of The Goring

The Goring
Ranked #8 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I just loved this hotel. Not a modern glitzy hotel. Small, classic with a terrific staff. Rooms can be small, but well appointed with great amenities. The room carpets are a bit worn and need to be replaced. But the lounge and restaurant are wonderful with emphasis on good English fare. From doorman to ice delivered in 5 minutes-the staff is just terrific. Tucked away between Victoria and Buckingham Palace, the hotel is quiet and convenient. Loved it! I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank FloridaTravelfan
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

Dear FloridaTravelplan,

I am delighted to hear of your lovely stay with us. We take a huge amount of pride in our service, so thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I do hope to welcome you back In the near future,

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for The Goring

Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have been WOWed by places twice in my life and this was one of them. A most fantastic and memorable experience and I will definately go back there again.

Expected to feel 'out' as I really thought that it would be snooty - definately not. Before we even got in through the door we encountered a most friendly doorman (when we were leaving he was very kind to get a taxi for us which would take credit card payment - Thank You). First impressions ... definately true in relation to this hotel.

I was not lucky enough (this time!!) to be staying as an overnight guest. We had afternoon tea booked in advance (you must book in advance). It was just delicious - we went for the option to include the champagne. I really could not recommend this experience highly enough and it was in most comfortable and atmospheric surroundings. The afternoon tea was most enjoyed. The staff were excellent and the hotel itself just fabulous ... I took a little wander! We were very lucky that the weather allowed us to enjoy the beautiful gardens / beach area (yes - beach!) ... this hotel has biggest gardens of any hotel in central London.

If anyone considering this hotel for a wedding - I can only imagine that it would be the absolute ideal London location.

Fabulous / Amazing / Loved It / Memorable / Quality / Friendly / Luxurious / Comfortable - all that and more.

Look forward to my next visit and have been recommending since I left it.

Well done all at The Goring (one thing I meant to check out ... what is the meaning with the sheep?)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PlanesTrainsAutos09
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2011

Dear PlanesTrainsAutos09,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am delighted you were 'WOWed' by our afternoon Tea.

As to our sheep, George Goring, our Chairman, bought a sheep to adorn the Lounge. The sheep soon spread to decorate our guest bedrooms and public areas!

Please do complete The Goring experience with an overnight stay. Oliver and his reservations team would be delighted to help.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With warm regards,

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked this hotel as it was a 5 min walk to my workplace at Buckingham Palace road. Its quint & neat with a load of British elegance.

The rooms were comfortable and subtle in decor which matched my preference. Spacious with enough cupboard space and fitted out with everything you need for a business travel. The iron, coffee maker (some really good butter cookies neatly packed).

The service in the hotel is excellent , yet a bit formal . If you are used to India hospitality, dont expect someone to be looking out for you, but if you approach /ask they are very cordial and efficient.

I loved the food , not a very elaborate menu but whatever I had (4 dinners) were all different cuisine and quite amazing. Again, you do not have a choice of Indian cuisine.

A must do (even if you are rushing out in the morning) is the breakfast buffet. Keep in mind its a formal affair so if you stoll in with your slippers you may feel a bit out of place where everyone is in a suit. Its not a typical buffet and you order on your table, but I find it a very classy affair.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed the night before the Goring closed for the Royal wedding as I had a business meeting close by the following day. I was going to stay about 6 weeks earlier but decided due to available rates and where I needed to be the next day the Savoy was better. However what really impressed was the chap on the phone who dealt with me at reception the first time was excellent, helpful, efficient and friendly, that experience wasn’t like your typical large chain of hotels and I thought then I would try the Goring the next time which I did.

The hotel is relatively small and feels like a family run hotel, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. It’s decorated in a traditional style, so if your looking for ultra modern this will not be your cup of tea. The floor lobby was large bright and warm which was excellent compared to similar hotel hotels. My room was very nicely decorated, bright with a lovely view over the garden, which is one of this hotel’s major plus points. The room was large and really had everything you’d expect, the bathroom was a good size and the shower was powerful but I would have liked a separate shower.

In the evening I had a couple of glasses of wine in the bar, which is small but nicely furnished, and the staff / service were very friendly and efficient even though the hotel was busy and there were lots of press outside. The bar adjoins the terrace, which overlooks the garden, and this was really special to be able to sit outside on the terrace is unique for a central London hotel.

So overall I would say this hotel is very good, relaxing place to stay, which makes you feel very welcome, has great beds and looks after you, which is what you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Compared to other 5 star hotels such as the Dorchester, Claridges and the Savoy where you do feel like a number.

My only criticism of the hotel was the food, I would say it was consistently average, it was fine just not as good as other hotels and when your paying £500 a night you expect the best. I had a burger from room service with a desert and just the whole way it was presented and tasted just wasn’t as good as say the Savoy, which was head and shoulders above the Goring. Secondly the breakfast, the breakfast again was ok, but not as good as say Claridges or the Connaught. I had ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was swimming in butter by the time it got to me and tasted incredibly bland. The only redeeming part of the breakfast was the orange juice.

Overall the hotel is good and I hope the food is better normally than I experienced and hopefully it was just they were just rushed due to the wedding preparation, so I would stay again for all the good reasons above but I wouldn’t stay a third time if the food isn’t significantly better during my next stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank RJB1000
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

Dear RJB 1000,
Thank you for your delightful comments.
Our personalised service is of paramount importance to us here at The Goring. We feel we are a ‘home away from home’ to our guests. We like to think of each guest as part of the family, and certainly not a number like in larger, chain hotels.
Our gardens, veranda, and terrace are indeed a fabulous, and unique, feature of the London hotel scene. I am delighted you took time to enjoy them.
When you next join us, please do speak with Oliver, and his team in reservations to request a separate shower in your bedroom.
With Warmest regards,

Reviewed May 19, 2011

We checked in to the Goring 4 days after the Royal Wedding of William and Kate. The Middleton family had booked this classic hotel just down the street from Buckingham Palace for the week leading up to the wedding. The excitement was still in the air. I knew the hotel would be full of British pomp and circumstance, but it is a famous hotel, for those with coin, for a good reason. No matter what you pay for a hotel, if the staff is not customer and service oriented it will dampen, or even ruin, the experience. the Goring's staff are spot on. Formal and stiff if needed, but ready and willing to spend a genuine smile and advise if asked for. They helped me with everything from finding a converter to getting advice about places to see, how to get there, extending my stay, and even what theater is popular. I was officially on business, but had plenty of free time to explore London, which I love. London is currently expensive for us American's but I always feel a good value when I visit. My only complaint was the price paid to get internet in your room. It just seems to me that hotels should offer internet at no charge, especially pricey hotels like the Goring.
Get the full on English Breakfast in the Goring's dinning room. Splendid and enough to get you through a busy day in the city without having to stop for lunch! Be sure to book the "High Tea" the day before.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank INtoLC

Dear LittleCaymanSCC1,

Thank you for your comments. I am thrilled you had such a splendid stay. We believe that every member of the team goes that extra mile to deliver the highest levels of personal service.

I am delighted Big John and his concierge team were able to recommend the best of what London has to offer.

It is fabulous you joined us for Afternoon Tea. Served in the beautiful surroundings of the garden terrace and veranda, overlooking our own private garden, it truly is a special experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

With kind regards,

Reviewed May 18, 2011

We were at the Goring for 3 days. The room was ok but smallish the biggest problem was bathroom where the sink is right behind the door and if your not careful opening the door can cause serious injury.
The shower had great strength but was made for a midget and I at 5'10" had to stoop to get under it.
It took us 3 days of talking to get their business center computer working right. Asking nicely twice and having to get gruff the last time.
We booked for lunch and then found out only 2 hours before lunch that we were on the waiting list and needed a plan B . They cleared the table but again no one had told us and had to be gruff.
On checkout had 2 charges that were not valid and had to catch that.
They I believe are accepting mediocrity vs excellence.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank elridder
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We have been staying at The Goring since 1987, and it is the only hotel in London that we'd consider.
Service is unmatched by any hotel we've stayed at, anywhere. On one trip, my wife became ill during the night. We called for some ginger ale at approximately 3 a.m., and it was delivered within 10 minutes.
On another occasion, they secured tickets to the Globe Theater on a last-minute request, and on yet another trip, sleeping car tickets to Penznace when Great Western Rail, was unable to help us.
The hotel always has the perfect, calm, well-run feeling, from the front desk to the staff who make up the rooms.
You can certainly pay more for a hotel in London, but you will not find a more pleasing, rewarding experience.
Kevin Cunningham and Mary Anne Gilson

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yankeetraveler52
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear Mr Cunningham and Ms Gilson,
We thank you very much indeed for your continued support of The Goring and very much enjoy welcoming you into the hotel. Do you have any London visits planned this year? Please come back soon, and we hope you are well.
With best wishes,