“Delicious from start to finish”
Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 23,995 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Visited Medlar for the first time following a recommendation and we were not disappointed. There were six of us dining and we were shown upstairs to a circular window table which was perfect for our small party. The three course set menu for £45 pp is an excellent idea and there was an interesting selection. I had the cucumber soup which was delicate and delicious. I followed this with the liver and I totally disagree with a previous reviewer - it was scrumptious and the flavours superb. I only just managed a pudding - the chocolate tart with salted caramel ice cream which was magical. All our individual choices were enjoyed to the full. A truly memorable dinner and we will definitely return.

1  Thank Sue D

Reviewed July 29, 2014

It's a mixed bag really. Personally I found the waiting staff a little too casual acting. And I would expect them to explain the elements of a dish when presenting it. They do have an excellent wine selection, I can recommend the rich blanc de blancs champagne they serve for aperitif (André Jacquart). As to the food, the starter I had was bordering perfection: lamb sweetbread and tongue with peas and pancetta. Everything on that plate was there for a reason and tasted heavenly. The calf's liver on the other hand was a little disappointing. There's too much going on: delicate pink liver against the strong flavours of the crust and the caramelised chicory, heavy beans, tomatoes etc. It's all a bit confusing. The trifle for dessert was, well what you might expect from a trifle, no more no less, so I guess I can't complain. It lacked a creative extra though. All in all as I said a mixed bag. I had a good meal, not a fantastic or memorable one.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

We visited Medlar for a family meal after noticing how busy it was for its lunch time service.

Were we glad we did!

The staff were truly attentive, without being intrusive and the food was spectacular.

For £35 on a Sunday evening for a 3 course menu fixe it was unbelievable value for money.

If you don't visit Medlar you'll be missing out on something special!!

Highly recommended!!

1  Thank olsontowers
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This has to be one of the best value restaurants in London (if not the country). Michelin star food, 3 courses for £35 for dinner. Food this good is normally at least twice the price. A great menu, with lots of choice and wine (anything on a huge list) they will decant into a carafe if you don't want a whole bottle. From when you walk in, they make you feel special - but not in a fancy, pretentious way. Understatement is the key. The service is first rate - attentive without being obtrusive and all aimed at ensuring you have a good time.

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was the fourth time I have eaten at Medlar and I can't praise it highly enough. Beautiful food, good wine advice and friendly, attentive, unobtrusive service.

1  Thank Deborah W