“Excellent dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 22,225 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Prague
“Excellent dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I have a dinner in Medlar with my wife and my youngest son and this evening was fantastic. Menu was deliciouse, and servis was pleasant and attentive. Great foie gras and crab ravioli.....

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Karel2010

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Impeccable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The lunch menu at £26 (before wine) is perhaps not the best bargain in London and this doesn't seem to be the place to go to for gastronomic invention; but the quality of the cooking is impeccable. There are not many bargains either in the wine list and some very inflated prices - but an Aussie Shiraz we had at £45 (not a snip admittedly) was better than many similar at twice the price. I am so used to small prix fixe lunch portions that getting a genuine plateful at Medlar was a delight. The starter of lobster raviolo (ie only one - though a big one) was essence of lobster - delicate but pure flavours. The grouse was presented like French pigeon - none the worse for that I suppose, but if you want the big authentic moorland experience you will have to go to a restaurant nearer the City. Service, I have to say, was absolutely charming and perfectly timed.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic - elegantly relaxed excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

A really good restaurant. Lived up to my expectations. The building is certainly not grand - it's cosy, warm and welcoming. Buzzing on the ground floor, we were in a nice booth on the upper floor, which was more intimate. The service was impeccable: a nice balance between friendliness, efficiency and professionalism. The food was very good indeed. Not a bad plate, and some absolute stars. Great technique, great flavours, not to much showing off. The wine list has plenty of interest and some reasonable value. The sommelier was well informed and creative. Try their dry Tokaji. I will go back for a romantic dinner or with a small group of friends. A really memorable experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kevinjbarry
Sydney
“Interesting but I wouldn't return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Service was lovely, it is a very quiet intimate restaurant in Chelsea, I think perhaps I just had higher expectations for a 1 Michelin star restaurant. Quail for entree was delicious but the cod I had for main was too salty for my liking and paired with a sweet chilli like sauce which I didn't think matched it really. Dessert was too sweet. Perhaps I just don't have english tastes! We went to the Aqua restaurant in the Shard the next night and that was way better food I thought.

Visited September 2013
Chichester
“Great flavours, superb service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went to Medlar for our first wedding anniversary in August. They have a 3 course menu with seven choices for each course and this comes at only £35 per person. Personally, for Michelin starred food I thought this was a snip, and the standard of the food was certainly not compromised for this price either.

For starters my wife had the duck egg tart with red wine sauce and I had the crab ravioli with brown shrimps and samphire. We also got an unexpected arrival at the table when they originally brought my wife the tagliatelli starter by mistake. Now its all very well offering great customer service when everything goes as it should do but I personally think that the best customer service is shown when an issue needs resolving......and the staff dealt with this issue superbly. There was an immediate and sincere apology and they left us the starter to nibble on while they went and got the correct starter. Not only did they not charge us for the extra starter but they also gave us both the cheese board desert without the usual supplement charge. I would like to point out that it wasn't really the monetary compensation that impressed me but the speed and calmness with which everything was cleared up, in fact it didn't really feel like there had been any problem at all. Anyway, back to the food......

For main course my wife had the chargrilled red mullet with tomato tart, smoked mackerel and aubergine caviar and I had the rack of lamb, confit shoulder, tongue, jersey royals and petis pois. The mullet dish was full of flavour and my lamb was amazing! I don't normally eat lamb but I fancied trying it here and I am so glad I did, it was soft and packed with flavour, and the confit shoulder was so good! I was very impressed with the tongue as well, it was the first time I had eaten tongue, and based on that experience I will definitely trying it again. The cheese board was very reasonable, lots of choice for all different types of cheese palate and we particularly enjoyed the calvados washed camonbert and the epoisse. The wine list was full and varied whilst at the same time offering good wines for all budgets.

There is some fantastic food going on here at this restaurant and I believe it can go on to be even better. Unfortunately its location at the not so salubrious end of Kings Road is a slight negative but at the price being charged I think they have got everything to draw in the food crowds. Let's hope their success results in a move to the other end of Kings Road.

In summary, the food was very good and the staff were very attentive without being overbearing. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank sportybfg

Been to Medlar? Share your experiences!