“Very enjoyable evenining”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chelsea
“Very enjoyable evenining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We chose Medlar for our celebration dinner because we all like good food but the guys in our party don’t like ‘fuss’ so it seemed the ideal place based on previous reviews
As two of my party had the crab ravioli to start I thought I would be more adventurous and have calves liver. My partner had the asparagus and garlic soup. Everyone was delighted with their starters but I found mine a bit bland. My main of poussin however was perfectly cooked and the cauliflower puree scrumptious!
I would heartily recommend the cheese course. There is a great selection and the guy serving us was very helpful! We could still fit in a dessert as well resulting in a table of people making happy noises. I had a dessert including ‘camp ice cream’ which was yummy (and I don’t normally like ice cream!). Not overwhelmed by the cannele that it came with – bit stodgy for me personally
The sommelier was jolly helpful and consequently we enjoyed some delicious Rioja.
All in all it was an enjoyable evening. My personal choices not as good as others but the menu does cause tough decisions as it has a very good section!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but uncomfortable seating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Six us were crammed into a booth table that was really only big enough for four. Extremely uncomfortable., No chance of moving anywhere else becasuse, thanks to the Mich Star, the place was packed. The food was mixed. My wife questioned the provenance of the asparagus bearing in mind that our garden asparagus wasn't even showing through. From the Wye Valley, apparently., Must have been grown under glass. Not a great taste, certainly not like new English asparagus, more like the continental variety and white rather than green. Sorry to be picky, but if you have 1 Michelin star.....
Fried sweetbreads disappointing. More taste of frying than sweetbreads. However, the turbot was very good indeed.. My wife had chicken which she said was as good a bit of chicken as you would find anywhere.A sign of a good restaurant is when it can make chicken interesting, which Medlar certainly did. Puddings were the usual flamboyant fare you expect for 1 Mich star. I had a custardy thing which was grand. Apart from the elbows in each sides, it was a fun evening. Good attentive staff who seemed to actually understand food. About £66 per head with a couple of bottles of half decent New Zealand wine.

Visited April 2013
Lindfield, United Kingdom
“Difficult to fault”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had the set lunch menu - excellent variety and we found it difficult to choose. My three choices of crab raviolo, slow cooked venison and a really rich dessert of cannele with camp ice cream and melted Congolese chocolatewere three of the most enjoyable dishes I can remember for a set lunch. All four of us were delighted with our food, the Somellier was very helpful and the service was at all times friendly, relaxed and good-humoured. We were given table water at the start and this was refilled several times during the meal. Will definitely return!

“Fabulous and relaxed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Birthday meal for two. Understated exterior, subtle decor however great dining experience

Professional but friendly staff, always there however not in the way. Somellier was particularly noteworthy, friendly and knowledgable

Good selection for each of the courses, huge wine menu, amazing cheese board

Not cheap however great value, return visit soon

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Appealing menu, inspired cooking and pleasant setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We went on a Sunday night so had the £30 Sunday menu which had 6 starters, 7 mains and 8 or 9 puds/cheese. We started with garlic soup with poached pheasant egg and morels which was very tasty and new season asparagus with Iberico ham, goat's cheese mousse and a broadbean vinaigrette - also good but not as lip-smacking as the soup.

We followed with venison loin and slow cooked venison in a sort of rissole with roasted garlic, swede, cavalo nero and beetroot - an excellent combination of flavours even winning round my husband on the swede front (not his favourite veg) and poussin, spatzle, caramelised onion, pied de mouton (hedgehog mushrooms which worked very well with the spatzle) and cauliflower puree - this was a joy of a dish, intense and well balanced.

Despite the tempting selection of ripe cheese on offer, we chose 2 puddings: lemon curd ice cream, blackcurrant compote and tiny meringues - husband adored but not my kind of pud - and cannelé with camp ice cream and molten Congolese chocolate - the cannelé dipped into the chocolate with a wee dod of ice cream on the side was fantastic.

We probably didn't need the tasty truffles that came even without us ordering coffee but we scoffed them anyway. Interesting wine list include a very reasonably priced Chateau Ka from Lebanon. The service was attentive without being in your face. We will definitely be back next time in London.

• Visited April 2013

Been to Medlar? Share your experiences!