“The Ledbury without the pretence”
Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 22,516 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Chelsea
London
“The Ledbury without the pretence”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I wanted to surprise my wife to a decent dinner within walking distance of our Chelsea home and a few moment of online search led to Medlar. And what a find it turned out to be! Pleasantly surprised to discover that it had recently won a Michelin star, for what it's worth.

Wife's starter of crab raviolo was spot on, as was my skate salad. She also loved her gournard with brown shrimps etc while my poussin was also faultless. So good so far. While ordering desert, wife couldn't decide between two items. So imagine her surprise when midway through her chosen desert the staff brought out the other with a birthday candle on top. It was then that I remembered that I had mentioned when booking online that it was the wife's birthday! Nice touch from the staff which made a great dining experience into a perfect one. As if the GBP 42 for 3 course dinner isn't reasonable enough, lunches and Sunday dinners are GBP 30 for the same 3 courses, so great value to boot.

Reminds me of early days of the Ledbury before all the accolades got to their attitude and pricing. Go now.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Lostinhollywood

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Recently ate at restaurant on a Saturday night we were a table of 6.
Very disappointed in choice of menu and slow service dispite the restaurant not
Being full. Best part was the very helpful wine waiter and cheese selection which
Would have been nice had there been some fruit or dates to accompany it other
Than just a few Carr crackers! No atmosphere at all no music and wouldn't
Recommend it! Sorry but not worth the serious expense!!!

2 Thank fjackshome
Stockton on Tees
“A family meeting”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My brother was introducing my Wife and I to his partner. he lives in London and knows the restaurant scene well. Hence 4 of us enjoyed a lunch here last weekend. The standard is undoubtedly extremely high although reading the menu gave me grounds for concern: I am used to excellent heart North of England cooking with generous portions and some of the offal on offer on some of the menu would not feature in my neck of the woods.
Nonetheless the crab ravioli with shrimps was divine with a sauce to die for. My Wife and I both had the venison for main course and this was beautifully cooked with a wonderful balance of flavours. My brother, aware of my love of cheese, had signposted me to the cheeseboard. This divine offering arrived and, on opening the lid, I was transported to some imaginary temple of good eating in France by the divine smell. I was allowed reasonable portions of 6 different cheeses all beautifully ripe. I only wish there had been a slightly more imaginative offering than a single type of cracker.
The bill for 4 ( no alcohol) was £175 with 12.5% gratuity added in. On my return to the North East I was speculating with a colleague who travels to London a lot exactly how much more expensive prices are in London than the North East: 75% he said and the nearest meal of this quality locally would be £100.
Allowing for this and also on reading other review about how expensive restaurants are in London I have to conclude this was reasonable value for the King's Road.

1 Thank theflyingdoctor
Scotland
“Lovely and relaxed”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Had a wonderful evening with friends here. Despite being a bit late to our table, staff were really polite and courteous. Food was wonderful, and beautifully presented. Cheese board was one of the best I have seen in a UK restaurant. Would definitely go back at the drop of a hat.

London, United Kingdom
“An all-round delicious experience!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the minute we 4 walked in, you could tell that the people who run Medlar's care. It is truly a "nothing's too much trouble" restaurant. The decor is handsome and understated. The menu arresting and takes some time to get through as each dish looks somewhat complicated. The maitre'd is fully complicit with the chef and seems to truly understand why combinations of foods and flavours have been put together the way they have. And the result is remarkable. We tried 8 different dishes and enjoyed every one. The wine "book" is fantastic and a new young sommelier (half Singaporean/half Parisian) was friendly, knowledgable and there to help choose the right wine for the food. The perfect room temperature cheeses finished off a perfectly delicious evening!

• Visited March 2013

Been to Medlar? Share your experiences!