“Superb cooking and incredible value”
Review of Medlar

Medlar
Reserve with OpenTable
Medlar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 23,689 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a very good lunch indeed at Medlar earlier this month and were impressed with both the standard of cooking and the incredible value -- 26 quid for three courses in central London! As well as with the wide choice of tempting dishes at each course. I also liked the policy of serving several wines in either a 125 ml glass, 500 ml carafe or standard 750 ml bottle. High points -- the fillet and cheek of middle white pork with boudin blanc main course, the crab raviolo starter and the prune and armagnac ice cream served with financiers (small, warm and moist little muffin-type cakes. Delicious.) Service is attentive and friendly. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We were at medlar on a Sunday night and were happy to discover that the three course menu was reduced to £30/person. The food was outstanding and the dishes very complex for the money. I can't recommend medlar enough if you are looking to eat top end modern French cuisine for a reasonable price.

1  Thank Alanlynchie
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited this restaurant on 14th January 2013 for lunch and really enjoyed the food and wine. It was outstanding and not expensive for the quality. We will go back when we're next in London. The service also was excellent.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is my new favourite restaurant as the food was truly exquisite, and the intimate setting ideal for a romantic dinner. Special mention must go to the crab raviolo starter - the bisque was so delicious I could have happily eaten an entire bowlful! Also recommended is the fantastic selection of cheese in very generous portions. The staff were welcoming and not obtrusive. While this was certainly not cheap, I think the prices are well justified, and much lower than other restaurants of a similar standard. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent Sunday lunch at Medlar. The set menu has a good variety of choices to suit everyone. I had the crab raviolo for starter which was delicious, extremely flavoursome and I enjoyed every bite. The main course of fillet of beef with snails was equally good,and the chips were delicious, lovely and crunchy!
I felt this menu offered really good value for money. The restaurant itself provided a very pleasant setting for Sunday lunch, well decorated and cosy with a friendly feel about it. Service was good, although my one complaint would be that at times it was a little rough around the edges. When I tried to order wine I was told rather abruptly that the sommelier would speak to us about the wine, however in the event the sommelier simply took the order for the bottle we had already selected and did not offer any guidance or suggestions. We weren't really provided with any benefit and were just left feeling a bit uncomfortable.
I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend Medlar above other similar restaurants however it was without doubt an enjoyable meal and experience.