“London Trip Nov 2012”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“London Trip Nov 2012”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was my first trip to London and I was searching the internet for things to see while on vacation and found the London Fire Brigade museum. We had no problem getting an appointment to visit. The day we arrived at the museum there were several others for the tour. We were met by a retired LFB member who explained that until recently this facility was where all new LFB members trained and existing members came for continuing education classes.
The tours started off with a trip to an old appliance bay for a show of appliances from the several eras;Horse drawn to motorized units. The next stop was the historic Winchester house with all the relics of the LFB. The rooms are filled with paintings of the great London fire, old insurance house signs, tools of the trade and recruitment posters from WW II.Both my friend and I are volunteer FF's in the US and enjoyed comparing the history of the US fire service to that of London. After the tour we were invited to go back into the museum and look around more. As we were leaving the Winchester house, a crew was outside training on auto extrication tools. A must see for anyone interested in the History of the fire service.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Chrissy R

Malta
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“A must visit”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Since I visit London regularly, I was planning to visit something different. I found about the fire museum from tripadvisor and contacted them through their website to book a tour.

It was a surprise since the tour is given by an ex fireman and it was one of the best tours I've been in my life. I don't remember the name of the tour guide, but he explained everything through experience and in detail, going through the history of the fire brigade in London. from the insurance days, to the London great fire, up till today.

I definately recommend taking the tour, even if like me you're not into it, you will surely enjoy it.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank noble-taste
“Service Record”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Having started my family tree, I found my great-grandfather was a fireman with the London Fire Brigade. I sent an email to enquire about the records and within 7 days, I had the copy in my hand. Elena at the LFB Museum was most helpful and I would recommend anyone with such family history to pay a visit.

Visited September 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent visit”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I took a 12 year-old grandson and we were part of a small group, only four of us. We were taken around by a former fireman who was highly knowledgeable, good at presenting the material and very pleasant. There are fascinating old fire-fighting appliances and displays of the history. This is a museum which would appeal to both the young and the old. The tour is about one and a half hours, but there is enough material to make a much longer visit worthwhile. There are many good handouts to take away and read later.

Visited July 2012
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The London Fire Brigade Museum - A Fascinating Journey Through Time!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have now visited this charming museum on two different occasions. Each time I was taken on a different guided tour. The two women providing the tours gave two very different experiences, each highlighting the particular parts of the museum and the particular stories which she found especially noteworthy. Both had a great range of knowledge and a huge enthusiasm for the topic.

The venue itself is a real treasure trove of fire engines, eighteenth-century pumps, fire-fighters' helmets from across the globe, models and poignant gems such as the damaged epaulettes worn by the LFEE's heroic head during the Tooley Street Fire in 1861. There are also rooms dedicated to periods of history that are key parts of the National Curriculum, eg the Great Fire of London and the Blitz.

The staff and their helpers at the museum do literally vital work in ensuring that all visitors of all ages to their museum - and all school children whom they go out to visit - are made aware of fire safety issues.

I myself have worked in various London museums so I know a good museum when I see one and this is certainly one of the best!

Visited June 2012