“My Favourite London Building”
Review of Chiswick House

Chiswick House
Greater London, United Kingdom
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“My Favourite London Building”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

On a summer's day I can sit on the lawn in front of the the house & pretend that I'm in Italy. This glorious Palladian style building was designed by Lord Burlington, not as a home but as a 'temple to the arts'
The gardens were restored in 2010 & a very attractive cafe built.
If you've never visited Chiswick House I urge you to do so & the interior of the house is a must to see.
The grounds are free but there's an entrance fee for the house.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank curryking

New Delhi, India
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens and influential house”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

A confession first up - despite loving this place and having visited probably around 50 times over the years, I've still never been inside the house. I've always just thought I'd do it next time.

Anyway, the gardens are a great attraction in themselves, with a number of fantastic little features and follies scattered around the place. It's a great place for a picnic, though it all gets a little crowded on sunny weekends. I was afraid the redevelopment of the gardens and subsequent media interes would shatter the tranquility of the place, but happily if you manage to go on a weekday it's still blissfully quiet.

The modern cafe is decent enough, with the design unlikely to offend if also to wow. Nice stone though. Coffee and cake is about the going rate (I seem to remember being a fan of a beetroot one they do regularly), though be prepared to have to jostle with giant baby buggies of the infamous chattering upper-middle class mothers of Chiswick who fill this place day in day out.

I can't comment on the value of the house tour, though I did note with displeasure that they recently tried to charge something like £8 odd per head to enter the organgery (usually free) when the camellias inside were in full bloom. Far too much for a short stroll of 20m or so. Still funding has to come from somewhere I suppose. And on that subject, full credit to the volunteers who help maintain the grounds year round. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the redevelopment settles in over the next few years.

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Even if you're not into history, it's well worth a visit”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Despite not really being into history, I really enjoyed visiting this place. The price of admission is good value because you get a little audio guide with your ticket that guides you through the house. The tour itself isn't that long which is also good and just being in the house, seeing its architecture, paintings and sculptures is truly amazing. The gardens surrounding the house are magnificent and the cafe's quie nice too.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Elaine K
london
1,189 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,033 helpful votes
“A great place to visit for a couple of hours.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you don't wish to pay to enter the house you can spend an hour walking round these beautiful historic gardens for free and then enjoy a high quality coffee and cake at the cafe - I particularly recommend the chocolate and nut brownies. If you are an English Heritage member (or a Barclays Premier client) you can tour round the house for free. The house itself is pretty much unique in London and an audio tour of the ground floor deals mainly with the architectural history. The first floor has been beautifully restored and gives a good idea of how the place would have looked more than 200 years ago. Allow about 45 minutes to 1 hour of the tour inside.

After visiting here why not take a stroll along the Thames towards Hammersmith or Richmond or to one of the other nearby tourist attractions such as the Fullers brewery.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank sheepygold
London
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I live under half an hour away from Chiswick House but had never visited before. I went on a whim as it was such a beautiful sunny day and even managed to get parked on one of the side roads next to the grounds for free - no idea how much they charge in the car park. For a warm sunny day in the school holidays it was surprizingly calm, just people sitting with their children having picnics and plenty of dog walkers.

I took a guided tour around the beautiful Palladian villa, which there is an entrance fee for, but was disappointed to get the most tedious guide of all time. Reminded me of those university lecturers who made you forget why you chose your subject in the first place! Lost the will half way round.

I went to the cafe where they served an assortment of pretty expensive food. I saw someone ordering the burger and potato wedges for nearly £10 and was shocked to see there were only three wedges! I had the ham and cheese toasted sandwich with coleslaw, which was a more reasonable £5 with proper thick cut ham.

I didn't get to cover the whole of the grounds but I'm sure a lovely day could be spent with a picnic when the sun is shining.

Visited July 2012