“Basic, comfortable, moderately priced rooming house” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dawson House Hotel

Dawson House Hotel
Ranked #244 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Prague
“Basic, comfortable, moderately priced rooming house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is a small, comfortable B&B in need of improvement. If you are staying in the area it is a perfectly acceptable place to stay. The staff is very friendly and there is a very good breakfast made to order with a nice but limited selection. The rooms could be so improved by just a few basic changes. The bathroom is a modular unit fitted into the room and mine was already rusting in places. The bed is adequate but no more. Just a lick of white paint and a quick trip to Ikea would make all the difference. Having said the above, for my needs it was perfectly adequate and I would stay there again. The staff and breakfast would warrant a return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
Devon, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff and delighted to be welcomed with a complimentary glass of chilled orange juice when I arrived, as it was a warm day.
I had a lovely little single room with a balcony (Room 3) and it was great to sit by the open door of the balcony and enjoy a cool breeze and some birdsong. (I think only two rooms have balconies - that one and a family room). The wi-fi worked well and was free, which pleased me.
Lots of travellers have commented on the tiny bathrooms and yes, the bathroom is really more of a 'bath cubicle'. How they managed to get a toilet, a shower and a washbasin into a space 3' x 3' 10" (yes, I happened to have a tape measure with me!) is pretty amazing. But hey, it's better than having to walk down the corridor.
And the price for a single is great. It's a five minute walk to the Tube and from there you can be in the West End in just a few minutes.
I liked the fact that there is a choice of three full breakfasts (English, Dutch and Vegetarian).
The only downside was that there was a bit more traffic noise than I expected, given that the hotel is on a residential street.
I would have liked to see a few herbal teabags along with the tea and coffee. And I thought a mattress topper might have made a nice companion for the good quality duvet and pillows. But overall I enjoyed my stay and this hotel is very good value for London and a real 'find' for me.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Elderwoman
Coventry, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed here a couple of nights at the beginning of May with our eleven month old daughter, my mom, my sister and my husband. The family room fit us all nicely, with room for the spacious travel cot we have for our daughter (75cm x 75cm). The bathroom was a little small, with the shower only being separated from the rest of the bathroom with a thin curtain. Other than a little water splashing out during showers, this wasn't a problem for us. If you're not expecting a big bathroom (which we weren't, after reading reviews on this site), then it's fine.

Breakfast was more than enough to fill us up and keep us going during the day. Yes, the quantity of some things may vary, but they're still tasty! And there was no reason to complain about getting more or less beans on your plate. :)

I'd return here again. If you're looking for a budget B&B, you can't go wrong with the Dawson House Hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank limey_canuck
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

First, the Dawson House Hotel is not a hotel. It’s not a B&B. It lacks the amenities and comfort of a hotel and the personal service and warmth of a B&B.

Positives: Price. Good location for Wembley. Ten minute walk to Finchley Road tube station. Fairly quiet, leafy street. Reasonably clean. Good (small) flat screen television. Well cooked, filling full English breakfast.

Negatives: Very small room. Uncomfortable lumpy bed. Only 1 pillow provided. Worn, chipped furniture. Thin tattered draperies that did not totally cover the windows, so privacy was an issue as was light in the early hours of the morning. Tiny horrible plastic “pod” type bathroom the size of a closet (like something you would find in a motor home but not even that large or luxurious). No toiletries provided. No helpful touches like a pad and pen on the desk, or a map of the area. Attendant at desk could not advise me on where I could get laundry done or a restaurant recommendation. Staff were impersonal (perhaps a language issue). No one offered to help me up the stairs with my luggage upon arrival. Lots of loud door slamming throughout the house during the day and evening. Most irritating from my perspective is that the free wireless internet was agonisingly slow, making it very frustrating to do any long-distance work in my room.

Would I stay here again? No.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank glebetraveller
san francisco CA USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

My congratulations to Rajan, the owner and his magnificent staff for their wonderful hotel on a charming street with picturesque houses in the elegant style of the 1890's. Very convenient to Finchley Road underground only 5 stops from the centrally located Green Park station, across from the Ritz hotel. A superb breakfast is included- an incredible bargain! I always stay there when visiting my TEXTILE ART and HALI publishers in West Hampstead. author, James W Reid

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank bamba1
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

At 50 pounds a night including breakfast, you can't go wrong!

The B&B is located at about a 10 minutes walk from West Hampstead tube in a quiet street. My room was small but had a desk and chair. Breakfast was included for the price (English, Dutch or Vegetarian). WIFI is also available at no extra charge. The staff is friendly and responsive. I could borrow an iron and leave my luggage after the check- out.

The shower was tiny (felt like a little cabin in a campground) but functional.
I was somewhat concerned about the possible noise from the street. In fact, the only noise came from the people walking on the room above and was negligeable.

The little minus is that the location is somewhat away from the 'London for tourist' area (i.e. zone 1). One needs to allow 30-45 minutes from the hotel to reach Picaddily Circus or Westminster by tube.

Overall a good experience that will not blow up your budget. Not a Marriott or Hilton but a pleasant B&B with all basic needs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Bethesda, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

My husband and I chose this B&B because it is close to our friends' flat. All in all, I'd give this place an "average" rating.

The property is in walking distance to the tube station and is in a good, safe neighborhood. We felt no concerns walking around late at night. The building itself is a nice, large rowhouse, which was converted to a B&B. The original large rooms were divided up into smaller, oddly-shaped bedrooms. I found the place to be clean, although the bed linens were older, the blankets are ready for replacement and the pillows were oddly flat. The bathrooms in the two rooms we occupied (we stayed for 3 days, went out of town, and returned for another two days, and were placed in another room) were basically plastic molded rooms retrofitted into the bedroom. The bathroom in our first room was ridiculously tiny - no more than 4 1/2 wide, whcih included the toilet, shower and sink! It was like being in an airplane bathroom but tighter!. The bathroom in our second room was better due to its layout but was still small. The hotel is very quiet and on a residential street, so sleeping really isn't a problem. The hotel staff was helpful when asked, but not overly friendly. (I had the impression they were very tired.) Breakfast was good and hearty. The bedrooms themselves are tight for two people.
As another reviewer aptly put it, you are getting a room -- no more and no less. It's safe, relatively clean and relatively inexpensive for London. You're not going to spend a lot of time in the room, so if you're on a budget or visiting friends who live close by as we were, Dawson House serves its purpose.

• Liked — Quiet residential neighborhhod
  • Disliked — Tiny bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple