“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Balmoral House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Balmoral House Hotel
Ranked #627 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Australia
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

This hotel never disapoints. We are a family of 4 and have stayed at this hotel many times. It is clean, neat and tidy and the location is excellent, only minutes away from Paddington Metro / train stations. The hotel serves a nice breakfast - English (eggs, bacon & sausages) or continental (cerial, toast, buns etc). The hotel price is reasonable for London.
The hotel is in the process of being renovated and is even more comfortable than before. Stay here, you will not be sorry.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
wetter washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

We were there for 8 days, longer then any other person that stayed there during that period. Most people appeared to only be there for two or three days.

The facilities are clean, neat and well kept. The location is very good, but as you walk around the area you will note there must be 100 other places to stay with-in a few blocks.

The person you deal with on-line (Harry) is not the owner, but rather the owners SIL. Harry is only there for a few hours (around lunch) most days

Something to note is the main hotel (at least) has WiFi, but to get the WAP code you have to talk to Harry (no I'm not going to post it). The owners only (sorta) know what you are talking about

The owners are the "grumpy" couple you deal with on-site. However, I noted that the husband appears to be doing "less" then previous reviewers have noted. I suspect, from watching him, that his health is not as good as it was a couple years ago.

The breakfasts are ample, but if you want your eggs any way except runny, expect some grumbling.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — owners
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PhredStoner
elmont, new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

we have stayed at the balmoral 5 different times, this being the 5th and have read all the reviews posted. first i would say, understand this is a small, family run hotel. the people cooking breakfast, cleaning the rooms and doing the check-in are on location 7 days a week for over 15 hours a day. there also maybe a slight language problem as well. so there maybe times when they seem a little gruff. that being said, if you have a bit of patience you will find them hospitable and even friendly. being american, we know first hand about impatient and demanding people. everytime we have stayed at the balmoral we've arrived during the breakfst hour. everytime we were offered breakfst before we checked in. this time breakfast had just ended and it was reopened for 4 of us. the rooms are immaculate. the beds and pillows thick and comfortable. my friend, who stayed with us for the first time and is a horrible sleeper, slept 10 hours straight ever night. yes the bathroom and shower are small[most tourist hotels are] but the water is hot and the towels plentiful and large. the breakfasts are large, hot and you are served very quickly. there tends to be a crowd around 8 am so get there earlier. the location is great. paddington station and the underground are 2 short blocks away. 3 pubs around the corner. fast food and a steakhouse within short walking distances. make your reservations thru harry, the son-in-law. he's a friendly, great guy and will get back to you almost immediately. in all, my wife and i consider the balmoral our london home. just be a little patient when checking in and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Liked — cleanliness and breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scooteris8
rome, italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

I have stayed twice in this hotel. Once in 2004 and again this year. The first time I stayed I had been warned about the grumpy rude owners, so I was prepared for it and just ignored it. This year I went back again and found the husband his usual grumpy self but the wife was just downright rude. I went back simply because I knew it was clean and the breakfast not bad. The first day I went down to breakfast at 8.45 and she was so rude to us saying we were too late because the breakfast was served from 7.30 to 8.30. There is no indication behind the room door saying hours and rules (just instructions in case of fire). She insisted on being paid immediately for the length of stay. I said OK but I expected a receipt. She made a big story about it, that the hotel was cheaper than others around (which I found not to be completely true because I made a few rounds in the neighbourhood) but the next morning she reluctantly gave me a receipt when I gave her the money without my asking for one again. I personally like to be welcomed with a smile not somebody who looks down at the carpet and says come in with a scowl on their faces. I will never go back there again, clean or not clean. But London is a great swinging city.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — the owners
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank mayfair2007rome

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

I booked through the Balmoral House website and followed up with email confimations. When I arrived my reservation had not been entered and the gentleman called for his wife. She began to abuse me verbally as if I had been negligent and telling me she'd now lose money by having to upgrade my booking to accomodate me. She did in fact give me the better room but continued to berate me until leaving me, slamming the door. At breakfast the next morning I heard a similar complaint from the guest with whom I shared a table. She even had rude remarks to make about the fact that I'd sent a friend to stay before I'd been there myself.

On the subject of decor, if you're prone to motion sickness, beware. As pointed out in Lonely Planet, the room was awash with uncoordinated floral prints. I counted 5, 2 on the walls, carpet, bedspreads, draperies. Not pleasant.

I travel a lot and I've never been treated as badly as was at the Balmoral House Hotel..

6 Thank jyphoto
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2006

My 15yo son and I stayed at the Balmoral House Hotel in July this year. We found it to be well maintained and very clean. The room we had faced the street, but on the 3rd floor was not too noisy even with the window open. The bathroom was small, but spotless. The breakfasts were quite satisfactory.
The Balmoral is in a great location - a couple of minutes walk from Paddinton Station and the Underground. The Heathrow Express stops at Paddington, so made arriving from Heathrow very easy. There are also plenty of reasonable restaurants with in easy walking distance.
I would have to agree that the owner was not particularly friendly when we arrived, but she seemed to be under alot of stress. We found her helpful once we had "broken the ice".
I would stay at the Balmoral again without hesitation.

• Liked — cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — unfriendly staff
  • Tips/Secrets — don't be late for breakfast!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bye_for_now
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

I only had to read the previous review to know it wasn't just me. This hotel is recommended by Let's Go, and I contacted the property directly. When I arrived the same grumpy landlady described by the previous reporter from Irvine tried to reneg on the price quoted. She indicated she'd quoted me wrong and didn't realize how busy they were, which is irrelevant to me, of course. When she finally relented she demanded that we pay in cash for the entire 5 days by the afternoon of our arrival. After checking in and unpacking I went to settle the bill. The landlady went psycho went I requested, rightfully, a proper receipt indicating that I'd paid for a 5 night stay in cash. She threw my money in my face, claimed I was "being difficult" and then said she was going to charge me for her burnt lunch that she'd had to leave in order to tend to me. If my party hadn't already checked in and unpacked after a stressful journey we would have left and sought other accomodations. THe landlady, who described herself as the owner (and, yes, she was in charge of the kitchen), was way out of line. I've never been treated like this before in my life by a proprietor. It was unsettling to say the least. It's a shame, because the accomodations and food were fine. I liked the fact that this property had satelite TV so I could catch some Champions League football matches. But nobody should have to receive the abuse I took. This property should be taken off any list of "recommended" properties.

• Liked — Clean accomodations and satelite TV.
  • Disliked — Abusive landlady.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family