“One Night Stopover”

Ranked #640 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“One Night Stopover”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This Hotel was ideal for stopping over in London on our way from Plymouth to Cleethorpes. Travelling by train it was an ideal stop only a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station. We were in London to see a show on Thursday 31st October 2013. The welcome that we received was excellent. The customer service was second to none. The room was very clean and we both had a very comfortable night's sleep.
The only negative thing for us was that we had to queue on the stairs for breakfast. When we eventually got in for breakfast we felt that we had been rushed. Before my wife could finish her cereals the cooked breakfast was put in front of her. But I must say that other than that the breakfast was very nice.
We will definitely be booking this hotel again when we visit London in the future and I will be recommending it to our family & friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
scotland united kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in october, very friendly reception, always spoke when we came in at night ,the older lady and gent were very good with my son, the breakfast was very good staff worked so hard if you had to queue, it was not for long,room was ample for our needs, my son left his d.s.behind and they so kindly sent it back to scotland for him, also location was brilliant, near paddington tube 1minute walk also near hyde park, will be returning next year and will be going back to The Balmoral and would recommend to anyone. The Elliott Family.

• Stayed October 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Reception was very friendly and helpful. I had booked a single room but was upgraded to a triple room that was free. It was spotless and comfortable with a small but good bathroom. This room was on the ground floor and, in the absence of an elevator, a single room with stairs to climb would have been difficult for me. Similarly I was surprised to note that the hotel occupied 2 buildings on opposite sides of Sussex Gardens which must also cause problems. The location is very convenient and the breakfast was more than adequate with fried eggs, bacon and mushrooms, cereals, fruit juice etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cadiz, Spain
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Generally a nice hotel in a good location. The hotel receptionists were professional and helpful. The cooked English breakfast was tasty and efficiently served. Rooms were cosy and clean. However, the breakfast room is tiny and cramped and guests had to queue on the stairs. The hotel took a 100 pound deposit when I booked, though this was not mentioned on the booking site. Beware if you are booking a single room - although the website says that the single rooms have showers; some single rooms on the 5th floor have a shared bathroom, but are charged at the same rate as those with showers. There is no lift. If you complain, you may face a nasty confrontation with the hotel owner, an elderly Galician lady with a vitriolic tongue and no interest in listening to reason. I did have a problem, and though it was rapidly and courteously resolved by the hotel staff, I was later given an uncomfortable dressing-down which soured the experience for me.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are noisy. Not all single rooms have showers.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cudyll
Puslinch, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel, Sept 17 and 18, 2013.
Check in was fine. We stayed in room 10 on the 3rd floor, it was very small but it was a room, no problem.
The entire reason for my trip to UK was to move my daughter from Canada to University in the UK, she will be there for 1 yr. Because this was not a "vacation" trip but a "moving in" trip she had brought along many valuable/ personal items she would need for a full year away from home. In the morning she had been organizing all her items in the room and they were all over the beds. When we went out for the day we did not want the room entered or cleaned. I didn’t think that’s a big deal??? they have no signs to hang on your door that say "Please do not disturb" so I went to the front desk on my way out and talked to the owner, the older lady, I nicely stated that we don’t require any room service today. Her response is "why what did you do?" I did nothing. I said we just don’t want room service to clean up. Her next response was "we are not thieves". I said i didn’t say you were. This went on for a couple minutes. Finally i said "Look, don’t go in the room!"
We got back later that night and somebody had gone in the room, repacked all of my daughters’ items into the 2 big suitcases, zipped them up, put them back on the floor made the beds etc.
I went down and asked her why this had been done, her response was "you are a liar" I was speechless! She continued to call me a liar to my face. finally i told her to go up and look. So my daughter and i go out for supper, when we come back it starts all over again..rrrrrr i go out for a walk to cool down. when i get back to room she is there arguing with my daughter. Saying we made the beds etc..WTF???? I told her i would be writing a Trip Advisor Review, about my experience, then guess what??? she says "sorry" and just walks away. When we checked out the next morning at 5 am she was still there and telling me i better not complain on Trip Advisor about the treatment and the issue.

Bottom line!!!!

It’s not worth the hassle of going to places where they think they have the right to do whatever they want even if it’s against your wishes and then call you the liar or try to blame the client for the owners mistake.
Stay away from this place there are many other similar nicer spots close by.
Cheers Kent

The old guy mentioned in other reviews, well he just sat there watching us, i never saw him move the whole 2 days i was there. lol

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kentab

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

what a strange reception!!. We arrived to a reception area full of guests and had to navigate our way through heaps of cases to the desk to me met by an elderly gentlemen who just stared at us. I handed him our booking confirmation and he continued to stare at us. Not a word! Finally a lady appeared who took over but didn't seem to know what was going on. She even asked me to find our name in the book!! Fortunately it was there and although our room wasn't ready we were able to leave our bags and continue with our day.
The rooms are split between two properties which is also a bit strange so we had to walk across the road for breakfast which wasn't a problem but is a bit disconcerting to start with and would probably be best if it was mentioned when booking. The bedroom was of a reasonable size although it was on the fifth floor with no lift so definitely not suitable for anyone with any mobility problems. The en-suite, although squeaky clean, was tiny and the handle inside the shower had fallen off which could have proved embarrassing had I not been in the bedroom to let my wife out. The entire premises, both buildings, were immaculately turned out both in cleanliness and décor. I don't know if they had been recently refurbished but we could not fault any aspect of it.
Breakfast was OK although a little lacking if one is a Full English purist (eggs, bacon and a scattering of mushrooms) but in line with other reviews it is served too early (7.00 -8.30) and the dining room is tiny so you have to queue up the stairs outside for a table to become available. The staff (with the exception of our arrival experience) all appeared friendly and helpful and had our admiration for how they worked in such a small space without falling over one another.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and we would happily go back and perhaps would not be quite so phased by the oddness of the character(s). Our room rate was £105 which I guess is about the going rate but the hotel does have its own parking spaces which was a bonus for us and at £10 is much cheaper than the surrounding public car parks- a definite plus point.
If we were able to select a "good" that would be our rating but since Trip Advisor goes from "average" to "very good" then we have chosen very good as it was certainly better than average.

Room Tip: be aware of the climb to the sixth floor and request lower levels if needed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I chose this bed and breakfast for our recent stay in London after reading good reviews here. We stayed there for 7 nights and were generally pleased with our choice. The best thing about this hotel is the location - a few minutes from Paddington Station and Hyde Park. It is an area bustling with tourists and similar hotels and is a safe area. The hotel itself is unpretentious; a traditional type of London Bed and Breakfast establishment. Overall it is clean, wifi is included in the price as is the full English breakfast which is unusual for hotels in London. The price was 95 pounds a night which you have to pay upfront upon arrival. Wifi works intermittantly with a poor signal. The room was not very big but big enough and the beds a bit old but we slept well. The bathroom was tiny with an annoying little basin not big enough to wash your face in but the shower worked fine. There is also a teas made tray but you have to keep asking the staff to replenish it. The staff are very friendly. They are mostly Spanish as are the breakfast ladies. The only downside is the small dining room which is served far too early from 7 to 8.30. If you arrive at 8 you have to queue. What we didn't like was that guests had to share a table with unknown guests. We refused and got told off. After that I queued for the only table for two. Breakfast itself is very good.

Room Tip: We got given room 2 on the ground floor which was actually for 3 thus it was bigger than the others...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple