“Good value, great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of YHA London Thameside

YHA London Thameside
Ranked #146 of 826 Specialty Lodging in London
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good value, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We needed a cheap night in London after booking to see a show at the O2, which is just two tube stops away. We found it easily, it's in a really convenient location (for the price) to get to places all over London. It will be less desirable to anyone who hasn't stayed in a hostel before, but we have and found it to be fine for our needs. The room was quite small, but we were only in it to sleep and it was great to have our own bathroom.

The food looked good value for the middle of London, but we ate elsewhere with friends (no other reason, just different plans). We had a good laugh realising our double ensuite room was actually bunk beds!! Still, very comfortable, no issues with noise, friendly and helpful staff. Just what we needed and we'd stay again. Ideal for a group of friends (but maybe look for a double bed next time for my partner and I!)

Room Tip: Looking for double room? Check you're not getting bunk beds! Although they are comfortable...!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here with my partner and best friend for three nights in a six-bed room because we needed inexpensive London accommodation for a convention, and it was not a particularly pleasant experience. Having never stayed in a hostel before I didn't really know what to expect but there was definitely a sense of 'we might have made the wrong decision' almost as soon as we arrived.

Check in took quite a long time and once we found our room we were told in a not very friendly manner that it was still being cleaned, which left us waiting awkwardly in the corridor for a while. When we got in the carpet had iron-shaped burns in it but on the whole the room seemed to be fairly clean, the bunk beds didn't look inviting but were alright to (try to) sleep in. Toilet and shower rooms needed refurbishing too, we all tried to use them as little as possible.

Sleep quality was pretty terrible due to the other people in the room and along the corridor coming and going at all hours, lots of slammed doors and shouting etc, NO soundproofing in the rooms at all.

Location wasn't too bad, bit of a walk to and from the tube station/nearest shop but not ridiculously far. Probably ended up spending all the money we tried to save by staying in the hostel on tube travel though.

Overall I guess this hostel would be adequate for a one-night stay but three nights was far too much. Taught me a lesson at any rate - you get what you pay for and I'd much rather save and stay in a Travelodge or Premier Inn next time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank J L
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

The staff are friendly and accommodating. You may purchase reasonabily priced souvenir from the reception counter. Use the C10 bus service (Victoria Station - Rotherhithe) if you are carrying backpacks. During booking, remember to include the breakfast and ensure you get the breakfast token when checking in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Nassau, New Providence Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Booked a bed in a room of 6 women. Was surprised by the layout of the bunk beds. The bottom & middle beds cross each other and there are no ladders. When I got there at 2AM, surprise surprise, only the top bunk was available. So I had to climb over both girls on the edge of their beds to get into my bed. The bathroom was gross & had an 'off' smell. There was also noise but that's not the hostel's fault.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Cyberflânerie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

It's not the best location in London, but I stayed here because it was close to Greenwich and is also in a somewhat quieter neighborhood. There is a bus stop right in front of the hostel, and Rotherhithe Overground station is also within walking distance. If you want to reach destinations in central London, however, understand that this is in fare zone 2 and the tube fare will be slightly more.

I stayed in a 6-bed dorm with en-suite bathroom and shower, which were reasonably clean. The lockers in the room were big and I could easily fit all my belongings in there. The beds were stacked in threes, so tall people be warned -- you might not be able to sit up in bed without bumping your head.

The kitchen seemed to be perpetually busy with many families using it, and there were certainly a large number of kids going around, but this was to be expected.

The hostel staff was a bit stiff, and the person helping me at check-in refused to give me my HI member discount because I had booked through a third party. Perhaps this was my fault for not understanding the rules, and I made sure never to make that mistake again, but it didn't quite feel like a friendly welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Sherborne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here during Olympics as it was cheaper than all the hotels that had put their prices up for family rooms. We paid about £120 for our family of 4 but in normal circumstances the youth hostel would not be worth it considering all the other value hotels that do good family room deals (we have stayed more centrally in a Premier Inn for £80 and that was 10 times more pleasant). Have been to much better Youth Hostels - particularly the one in Edinburgh.
The room looked grubby - carpet looked like it had seen a lot of action, bathroom pretty horrid - shower tray very tired, shower curtain that sticks to you (and who knows who else before you!), No fan so very steamed up but not allowed to open door as sets off smoke alarm!
Beds had very thin uncomfortable matresses. Very noisy - doors banging, people shouting and running around.
I prepaid breakfast - wish I hadn't - it was pretty poor, unless you are a fan of baked beans.
Glad to say the Olympic spirit meant we were too excited to care that much at the time, but I'm not going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank gingergenius
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here over the Olympics with work. Bearing in mind that it is a youth hostel, it has some good points and some bad points.

We were put in a 6 Bed Room which was awful. The beds were like 3 coffins stacked on top of each other, please see photo, with no ladder for climbing in and out. The mattresses were hard as were the pillows and it was difficult to get in and out of bed because they had high sides so you didn't fall out. The was a cupboard per bed provided that you could lock, bring you own padlock, but there were only 2 plug sockets in the whole room designed for 6 people so we had to buy an adapter as we were staying there for nearly 3 weeks and all needed to charge our phones.

I forgot to take pictures of the shower room but the light was broken and you could see all the wiring and pipes exposed about the shower. The water sprayed out all over the floor which was particularly slippy. The shower room smelt from the drains it seemed. The toilet room was separate and had a toilet, sink and the only mirror in the whole room in it, as well as a smelly sanitary bin that I don't believe was emptied before our arrival from the smell that came out of it.

We all had a suspicion that the beds had bugs also as a lot of people complained of bites all over their bodies in the large party we were staying in. The rooms were very hot in the middle of the summer and the windows didn't open wide enough to let air circulate.

The kitchen room shut at 22.30 which wasn't great for any of us as we were working long shifts mostly until 12 midnight so I never got to use it. The laundry room was the same but they allowed us access to it due to our long hours. It costs £2.50 per wash, bring your own powder or pay an extra 75p, and then 50p per 10mins in the dryer, my clothes had 3 goes costing £1.50 (£4 altogether) and I still had to dry my socks with my hairdryer.

Breakfast was ok, did the trick for us lot. The coffee machine wasn't very nice though and the croissants were unusual and very flakey. The full english was good but they also offered continental food like rolls, cheese, ham etc and cereal. They do grab and go breakfasts also which were a sandwich, crisps, biscuits, apple and water... not really breakfast food but hey.

Rotherhithe Overground station was a 5-10 minute walk away as was a Nisa Local. The Tesco is a good half an hours walk away in my opinion, near Canada Water tube station. There is a pub across the road from the hostel called The Old Salt Quay and I definitely recommend it, it has a lovely patio area onto the Thames and the food was lovely there too.

For the price you pay, its ok for an overnight stay in London but I wouldn't recommend it for anything longer. On the last two days we were moved rooms because our shower was leaking and two people from our room had left so were moved into a 4 Bed Room, it was so much better! If I'd been there the whole time I would have had a better outlook on the hostel.

Room Tip: Stay in a 2 or 4 Bed Room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lazyeyebailey
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
YHA London Lee Valley
#18 of 826 in London
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,105 reviews
YHA Eastbourne
#2 of 10 in Eastbourne

Been to YHA London Thameside? Share your experiences!