“Very Pleasent”

YHA London Thameside
Ranked #77 of 948 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed July 9, 2012

1st time for me in a YHA and I was shocked. Clean, 24hour reception, close to central london via 188 bus to Waterloo or overground train from rotherhithe station about 6 mins walk. Supermarket in walking distance (Tesco Canada Water Bus Station) good Kitchen facilities

I would advise to avoid the Breakfast expensive for what you get, 15mins walk to Bermondsey Cafe on left just before Bermondsey station, Stunning Breakfast rolls (from £3.50ish)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Pewy84

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I just needed somewhere cheap, to stay overnight in London. YHA Thameside had the cheapest rate for that night. It was easy to find from Rotherhithe overground train station (1 stop from Canada Water, on the Jubilee Line) - when you come out of the station, turn left, & it's about a 10 minute walk (a big round building on the left).

When I went check in, it was quite busy at the desk. When a receptionist became free, he completely ignored me (even though he'd seen me standing in the queue for ages), while a group of youngsters rudely pushed in. When the next receptionisit became available, she was really friendly & welcoming though.

When I went up to the room I'd been booked into, all of the beds appeared to be taken/used (6 bunk beds in the room). I went back down to reception & explained that although I'd been allocated a key to this room, there didn't appear to be a bed available - I didn't know which bed to take. It looks like at the YHA Thameside, the beds are chosen on a first come, first serve basis (whereas, at other YHAs, the beds have got numbers or letters on them, which corresponds to what's on the room key you're given, so that there's no confusion/quibble).

The receptionist said I must be in that room, because they didn't have anywhere else for me to stay. He came up to the room, & saw that one of the beds, even though it had got someone's stuff on it (& the locker was being used), had been made fresh that day, and not slept in. A lady happened to come into the room at that moment, so he asked her if she knew who was using that bed. She said they were with a group of Dutch exchange students, & it was a friend of her colleague who had taken the bed. The receptionist said the staff had no idea who this person was - and told the lady to contact the girl, to take her stuff out of the room & report to reception. When he'd gone, the lady said she was warning me that her Dutch colleague would 'freak out' at me.

Therefore, at this YHA, even though you have paid for a booking, you are at risk of someone coming in off the street, being let in to a room by their friends, taking your bed... then getting threatened by your room-mates.

I have to agree with another reviewer, who said this YHA seems popular with school groups. They mentioned loud noise at night - yeah, there was lots of door slamming/shouting/screaming in the corridors until the early hours.

The young chap on reception when I checked out was really friendly. Plus, the guy that had ignored me at check was really, really good/helpful in sorting out the bed situation. The staff seem really nice here... the place is just ruined by the badly behaved guests (not just the school kids, but also their 'responsible adult' supervisors).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cazza999
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while in London, and while it wasn't glamorous, it got the job done. A word of warning in regards to public transport, it's outside of Zone 1 of the Underground, so you will have to pay more for your ticket each day, and you will need to use the Underground, because it's not walking distance from anywhere (unless you would say that 45mins to Tower Bridge is "walking distance"). Staff were friendly enough, and there are lockers to store your bags in reception if you want to drop them off before you check in, or leave them after you check out, which is a plus. Though each room has its own shower and toilet, the door to the shower in my room was broken, and leaving anything in the disrobing area was a sure way to get it absolutely soaked, because there are no towel hangers or benches to rest them on. There are lockers in the rooms, but be sure to bring your own locks. Also be warned that the rate for WiFi is quite steep, though I've heard that London hotels are notorious for this, so it might be a problem wherever you choose to go.That said though, it was quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else, which gave me a little more cash to spend on London's insanely overpriced tourists attractions. Overall, there was nothing that was really "wrong" with it, but I'll probably look somewhere else next time I'm back in London.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Benjamin N
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here for one night and it's quite average. It's not outstanding and it's also not terrible so that was a relief. The staff are very friendly, however some of them can't speak English that well, so you have to make sure that you explain things really well if you're after something. The rooms were clean, but the dryer in the laundry doesn't dry clothes very well. I had to put my clothes through 2 cycles in the dryer and some of the items were still damp afterwards.
I actually have to stay that I had the worst sleep ever here, and I think it might be because of the way the bunk beds are set out. I've never seen bunk beds like these before.
I suppose if you're use to YHA hostels, then perhaps this hostel will be okay for you, but for me I think I will stick to independent hostels. I only stayed at this hostel as it was the only hostel I could find around this area of London.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nalu06
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I payed, with membership, £32 for two nights B&B, ten minute walk from a station, plus local supermarkets, and pubs etc, the food was good the place modern and friendly, Brilliant :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Im a tour guide,and in the easter time i take groups of students to London.As you may imagine ive stayed in many hotels and youth hostels around London. This one is a typical youth hostel:lots of screaming kids running around the corridors and slamming doors at 6am,very poor cleaning and room features (mine didnt even had a shower curtain)! There is surprisely coffee and tea facilities but i wouldnt for those ina thousand years!!!Food was of really bad quality and variety and being the last group to eat there wasnt enough food done for the whole group.
I asked to change room the 1st night as iOtd was placed among a group of really young and noisy french kids and staff thought it was ok to go to my room,get my stuff inside my bag and leave the open with reception staff for a whole day!!
Its bad enough that all my intimate stuff was there to be seen and touch but i also had hundreds of pounds belonging to the travel agency i was working for!!!Its it ironic that the next day while my suitcase was in the luggage "room" the same pounds that were there for everyone to see were stolen??
I only realised i was robbed when i got home so i didnt have the chance to press charges but the travel agency is taking care of that now...
Although i was naive and had no lock on my suitcase you always think your bags are safe at the place you staying. I will never think that way again!!
So if you decide to stay at this place is up to you but dont say i didnt warn you!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Scarlet_Perry
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Our group had a wonderful stay , we knew on arriving it would be pretty basic , and it was! Although the staff are very friendly and rooms are basic. The beds are very comfortable just a 5 minute walk to the tube station so it was all we needed!

• Stayed: January 2012
Deputy M, Manager at YHA London Thameside, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Hi XxR,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on here. I'm glad your group had a good stay.

Thanks