“Bugs!”

Ranked #104 of 869 Specialty Lodging in London
Calgary, Canada
“Bugs!”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Bed bugs beware! We went to Astor after a long day to find bed bugs in our...well bed. Also the room was a mess and the reception was short and seemed bothered by us.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Bluelagoonswim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We stayed in this hostel for two nights. It was good in general. Staffs are very friendly and very helpful. Breakfast is fine as a good deal in such a big city. All rooms are fairly clean as I expected including toilets and shower rooms. Only minor problems are people who stayed in there not quite respect to others, we heard the banging of door slam all day all night. Also, locker room was quite small, but it was freely provided anyway.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Don't bother with this place - there are plenty of other hostels out there for similar money which are cleaner, better organised and less bizarre.

In short, it's in need of a lot of work doing to the building to make it less noisy (internally - not from the street which is quiet) and the staff are in severe need of basic training.

On arrival, the Australian receptionist didn't know how to use the computer to check someone in. To me, the clue should have been there. I am aware that the staff at Astor are mostly backpackers working while staying at the hostels which seems like a great idea. However, if you need to use a computer to check people in then you need to know how to use the thing. Took her abuot 20 mins to find the link on the webpage - funnily enough it turned out to be marked "backpackers".

I was booked into a 6 bed "dorm". This is really just a standard double bedroom in the Victorian or Georgian-style building with three sets of metal bunkbeds set against the walls. The receptionist then couldn't find a key for the room, saying that the other beds were booked out so maybe they had all the keys, but to just knock the door and someone would let me in... Typically, no-one was in there when I checked in so she had to let me in with the master key. Later, on meeting the other girls there, it turned out there were two keys available for a six bed room. Hmm.

The curtain pole was on the floor when I arrived. I asked for it to be put back up (didn't fancy a 4am sunrise wake up thanks). To be fair, it was when I got back, but when I then tried to close the curtains, down it came again...! I put it up again and managed to close the curtains without further disaster. No lights other than the rooms ceiling light means that the drunken Spaniards coming in at 3am will either switch it on (to a roar asking them to turn it off); or leave the door wide open (to a slightly more polite request for them to close the darn thing).

The floors are unbelievably noisy - a natural issue in an old building, but the doors all slam shut so hard that the windows rattle.

I didn't stay for breakfast, as I had to be up very early.

Small single shower shared between three dorms and poky separate toilet next to that. The sheets seemed clean enough until I discovered that what I had thought was velcro that was scratching my legs was in fact some utterly unidentifiable hardened white substance (no not that!) stuck to the duvet cover.

Oh, and don't forget to strip your own bed and take it to reception who won't say goodbye to you as you walk out the door, even though you said goodbye to them!

For what it's worth, I stay in hostels whenever I go to London, so it's not me being a snob!

Room Tip: Avoid. Better places that are less expensive.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Stayed there with my friend for 5 days in the 8 bed mixed dorm. Many people actually live here while working or searching for work. It's a great opportunity to make friends and to have fun. It's a great place for single travellers as well as most of the people there were singles.The location is great, as it's close to the tube station and most of the buses pass nearby as well. You can also get to Oxford street by walking for 15-20 minutes. The rooms were clean and warm. The breakfast is also included but you should get there early to be able to get some of the food. Don't forget to wash your dishes afterwards. The whole kitchen can be used throughout the day, you can cook there as well, there is a washing machine and dryer. place to store your baggage after check out or before check in. Overall, a great place. Would definitely go there again. Plus, very cheap

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank NareGab
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I searched several websites and read hundreds of reviews before selecting this hostel and I'm so glad that I did.
It was very clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. Very young crowd that likes to have fun so bring earplugs if you like to get to bed early. Everyone there was very laid-back and easy-going. The rooms were nothing extraordinary but they were clean as were the linens. Tip: the shower on the second floor had more places to hang clothes/bags/towels and had more space for actually moving around than the shower on the third floor. Bring a small flashlight or reading light if you plan on reading in your room b/c the lighting in the rooms is very very dim. There was only one outlet in my room which was taken up by the two girls who's beds were closest to it so i spent some time out in the stairwell reading while my phone and iPod were charging in a hallway outlet. A lot of the cafe's and coffee houses had ample outlets so you can always charge there as well.
ALSO, free wifi in London is sparse BUT if you sign up for Starbucks rewards on the Starbucks website, you can log in to their free wifi at any of the shops around the city using your username/password. I didn't use the wifi at the hostel b/c it was too pricey and I knew I could get it for free at one of the shops/cafes but I heard from one of my roommates that the wifi connection was really good.
Excellent location and near lots of restaurants and shopping and safe neighborhood.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank arettberg
superstarintheworld
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Me and my sister are doing a big vacation in the UK and last week we stayed in the Astor Questo Hostel, honestly we thought it would be better but if you want to be cheap and in a quite nice hostel in a nice location you can have a look to the Astor Quest. It is located in the zone of Bayswater and it has two tubes really close to it ( around 5 minutes by foot): Bayswater tube and Queensway tube, it also has many bus stops close to it. The building is quite nice and it has around 6 floors but remember that the hostel has NOT lift! Me and my sister had 6 bags with us ( two of them really heavy) and so we asked to the receptionist if someone from the staff could help us, she explained to us that was not a sercive of the hostel but luckily a guys of the stuff was close to us and helped us but it was a miracle, infact at the last day for the check out we had to take care on our own of our luggages and bring them with us during the all trip from 6 floor to the lobby! The receptionsts are kinda friendly, if you dont feel that your private room is safe and for the day you are out of the hostel visiting London you want to leave to the reception some litle bags they can handle them for you. ( we did so several time). We booked for a double private room and a twin private room ( because one night they were completely booked) and both of the times the rooms did not seem to be cleaned. the first day we arrived we also found the bin full of dirty and staff like that and we straight told it to them and they cleaned it. But they do not really clean the rooms and do not do your beds for you. We had the breakfast included and it was great, it was a continental one. we had to wash the spoons, fork, dishes and stuff like that on our own.
The hostel also organize parties and trips but we never used them, since at night we were really tired, and when we stayed in the double room on the first floor we could hear people scream , laugh, and so was not easy to sleep.
Both the check in and cjek out were fast.
This are our impressions about the hostel:
not so clean, quite good location, quite safe, nice stuff, not lift, great breakfast.
It is kinda cheap, so if you are not looking for luxury, give it a chance.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Travelled as a group of 17 people. Arrived at 10 pm very tired and discovered that the hostel had messed up our booking, so we would have to split up in small groups and share dorms with other people even though we had paid for extra beds to make sure we wouldn't share with anyone. The staff didn't really care and showed no interest in trying to fix that for us.
In general the staff was arrogant and didn't care or act when we asked for something in the reception (toilet paper, cleaning of disgusting toilets and showers, stuff not working in our rooms). There was however two or three people in the reception who actually did their jobs and were really nice.
Breakfast was pretty good, except for the really bad DJ (the breakfast guy) who played terrible music really loudly from 8 am - not my idea of a pleasant morning...
Avoid this hostel! It was unclean, had far too few showers and toilets and had arrogant staff. Only good thing was the location (really close to two Underground stations).

• Stayed October 2010