“An excellent pub/restaurant/hotel”
Review of Windmill Clapham

Windmill Clapham
Ranked #105 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Windmill is a Young's pub, extended into a hotel and restaurant. Very conveniently situated on Clapham Common a few hundred yards from the Northern line with easy access to the city. There is a car park - unusual for inner London .Reasonably priced, a good restaurant and - being a Young's pub - an excellent bar. Very friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms at the back are the best.
There are newer reviews for Windmill Clapham

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here with my mum in May 2012. We were visiting relatives close by and having a girls' weekend. The location is great. 5ish minute walk form Clapham Common tube. 2 mins from bus stop.

it is tucked in a nice quiet corner of the Common. When you arrive you forget you are in the city. It is a very lovely, traditional style English pub look from the outside. Inside it has beeen decorated with a modern twist. the dining room and bar area are lovely. the decor has been well thought out.

Breakfasts are great and the staff very friendly and helpful. They are very relaxed. It's so nice to find a hotel in London that feels unique and still has lots of charm!

Summer nights can be a bit rowdy with the pub's beer garden being a favourite with the locals but it was the weekend so we didn't mind a bit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our stay at the Windmill was a pleasure through and through. We came for a wedding in Clapham in late March. The weather was dreadful, so we really enjoyed coming back at night to the very cozy pub and our very nice family room. The breakfast was very good: the best spinach and mushrooms I had in a long time plus fresh fruit and nice pastries. And on top of that, the conservatory that breakfast is served in is really quite beautiful.

At night, the cooking is of varying quality and the selection for vegetarians is very limited. Our friends really liked their chowder, but the bread that we were served as a starter was quite stale.

Contrary to what I read in some of the reviews, all of the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful! Even my 12-year old son remarked on the cordiality of the young staff.

I can highly recommend this beautiful place!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the windmill last December but decided against it because there are quite a few negative reviews. i did stay at the end of February, beginning of March, and enjoyed the stay very much. I asked for a quiet room, and that is what I got, first a standard room and then a superior one. for London standards the rooms are very large. They are very well furnished, clean, and very comfortable, with good size bathrooms. Very difficult to find any faults. I thought the service throughout was very good. Breakfast was excellent, with a good choice of hot dishes - my favourite was scrambled eggs on a toasted muffin with smoked salmon. Delicious. I only had one evening meal: Pot roasted pigs cheeks with roast Bramley apple mash and kale. The beer is as good as you would expect from a Youngs Pub.

1  Thank TomT55
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've stayed here on business trips a few times and I'm always really impressed by this hotel. The rooms are a great size, staff friendly and breakfast is great. It's excellent to have found a more homely London hotel and I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We celebrated a milestone birthday in the pretty party room at the Windmill on a Saturday night. Hannah was our planner, both very friendly, helpful and experienced. On the night Tom was in charge, again reassuring and helpful. Imogen was a waitress whose charm from the night before, when we'd looked around for a final time pre-party, lasted all evening on the night. We had been warned that we would be squashed among our tables for pre dinner drinks, but we had chosen not to hire the big room next door: anyway it didn't matter as we soon sat to eat. The food exceeded our expectations: delicious mushroom/parmesan starter, then roast cod that tasted fresh and was well cooked with good veg. As this is a pub we did not expect silver service; however the meal was served profesionally and well. Several guests have said how efficient and friendly the waiting staff was. The room looked very pretty. My only very tiny gripe is that it seemed to take a while to move the tables back for dancing, but the guests I've spoken to say that they didn't notice this, keen as they were to mingle and chat. Plus it was a shame that the microphone was broken as our speakers were challenged by the noise from the Saturday night pub crowd in the next door room. But this is after all a pub, so it was a risk we'd taken. At the end of the party the staff did not make us feel as if we were being thrown out too quickly and they were very helpful in ordering cabs, settling the bill etc.
If you think of having a party here, I recommend it based on our experience. Do remember that it is a pub that does a good job of throwing a party: it is not, nor is it trying to be, a top class hotel on Park Lane, nor does it charge as much.
We would definitely have a party here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was a bit nervous about how I would find the hotel with it also being a pub, but The Windmill was great.
The staff were all really helpful whether it was the bar staff (when we went through the wrong entrance), both Receptionists (when checking in/out and arranging taxis), the night staff and the waitresses at breakfast.
The pub is done out in a quirky/traditional-mix style which is smart and fun, and I'd say the hotel is more calm and contemporary. The room was nicely done, clean, a good size and was comfortable.
Unfortunately we weren't around in order to eat dinner or lunch, however our friends did and said that it was good.
Breakfast was included in our rate. I'm always a bit hesitant about paying extra for breakfast as I find it is never worth it, however I would have paid for it at The Windmill. It was probably the nicest cooked breakfast I have had out. Nothing spectacular, but good quality food that was cooked well, with plenty of variety on the plate. There were also (pretty big) pastries, toast, cereals and drinks put out for you to help yourselves.
For a London hotel the price is pretty standard. If we were to revisit the area I wouldn't hesitate to book back in (and hopefully get to try their pub food too!).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends