“Refurbished but with the essence retained”
Review of Windmill Clapham

Windmill Clapham
Ranked #108 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We used to stay here about once a month and returned after a gap of two or three years on 21st August for 2 nights. I have always had a soft spot for the Windmill and I'm pleased to say it was as good as ever and probably better

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We travell a lot and have grown very tired of the big brand hotel chains. The windmill is everything we want in accommadation. Our room is HUGE by any standards but for London it is a really big room. It is a luxuriously furnished room that looks out onto the common through a sash window. The ensuite and luxury bath products exceeded my expectations. we were starving when we checked in so ate in the pub. The meal of haddock and chips was too big to finish and delicious. We are here for 2 weeks during the Olympics and am thrilled to be staying in such a lovely building. There is a tube stop just minutes away or a bus straight into central London can be caught just outside the pub. I wouldn't bother with a bigge hotel. This place has it all if you want the real London experience. I'm also impressed with the events and facilities provided during the Olympics. We visit London often, I won't be staying anywhere else.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have been here on a number of occasions when I visit friends in London and have never been disappointed. The roasts are delicious with a good helping of meat and selection of veg! The setting is great on a sunny day in the pub garden at the front or inside which is cosy! The staff were very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Booked this hotel as it was relatively close to Wimbledon, and the price of the room gave us free parking and breakfast included. The room itself (superior) was large with a couple of sofas, and all other amenities required for a couple of nights away.
Just a couple of minor issues; the room does not have a ceiling light, therefore a myriad of lamps have to be turned on just to get a bit of light. Even then it's not really adequate, despite the large windows. As others have pointed out, the room was very hot, as was the landing area just outside the room. This was despite various windows being open. (Admittedly we stayed on the 1st July, but summer 2012 is just not happening and it was raining for most of our stay!). Not sure where the heat is coming from, but if the sun finally does decide to come out, you'll need to get the air conditioning unit on full blast.
Breakfast was served by Amy who was helpful, pleasant and seemed happy in her job. Although there is a buffet style breakfast to choose cereals, fruit, and toast from , there is also a menu to choose a cooked dish from including eggs benedict and smoked salmon and poached eggs.
All in all a pleasant stay and would recommend the hotel to tourists wishing to stay a couple of nights and happy to use the tube to get around.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room if you can, as they are a bit further away from the bar area, which can get a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janet M
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I enjoyed staying here as the staff are friendly, the pub downstairs has a chilled atmosphere and there is parking for guests. What's more the manager let me park for a few more days after my stay which was very helpful indeed. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice friendly place close to London.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Attached restaurant was being refurbished when we arrived so maybe we didn't see it at its best. Two girls on reception showed no interest in checking us in when we arrived, just hunched over a fax machine discussing in Spanish how to work it. Once they had sent their fax, they booked us in, with no charm or grace, but we got our room. The room was on the ground floor, very dark and gloomy, with no central light to brighten things up. Luckily the location is great and we had planned to spend little time in the room anyway. Tube station is five minutes walk away, meaning we could leave the car in the secure hotel car park and get into London. The room was set up as a disabled room, though we are both able bodied and relatively young. The access handles and low level shower did prove useful after a night on the thinnest mattress I've ever slept on. I've used thicker camping mats.
Anyway, good location, car parking, good if you don't want to spend time in the hotel (and have access to a good chiropractor). Breakfast was good and the waitress was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a change if you get 107!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Having stayed at The Windmill for a number of years (since 2002) I have to say the service/rooms are inconsistent. Underwent a refresh a while back but some rooms still seem to be a bit shabby where bathroom has not been updated. Have also had a few instances where Air Con not working or dripping. Rooms can be quite dark. Food is variably. Last stay I left my iPhone Charger in the room and when I phoned up later that day they could not find it! Stay here as it is convenient for my work but do tend to go out for meals etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business