“pleasant hotel”

Ranked #102 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Brierley Hill, United Kingdom
“pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of nights and found the hotel to be very comfortable. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The room was quite small and it was right at the top of the hotel so we had to climb the quite narrow stairs as there are no lifts,[luckily we only had hand luggage,but the staff offered to take it up and bring it down if necessary.]The room was very clean and the bathroom was big enough. The hotel is within easy walking distance of Victoria Station and within walking distance to Sloane Square and Kings Road we walked there and bused back!We enjoyed the breakfast there was plenty to eat.I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I don't usually bother writing reviews, but this place drove me to it. To be fair, this is a hotel shoe-horned into an old building that was probably never designed for it. The pictures generally do not give an actual representation of the place. Reception is in the "lounge" area shown on the picture, I can't imagine many people choosing to stay there too long to relax. The stairs are narrow, fairly steep and the carpets need replacing. The room was small (don't bring any cats with you!), 2 single beds taking up a fair amount of it. The carpet was threadbare and needs replacing. The bathroom is small, OK shower & no bath (which doesn't bother me for an odd night). The toilet flush packed up & I fixed it myself. The heating seems to be switched off during the night and around 10pm the room was getting cool, with the radiator off. On the other extreme, it was incredibly hot the following morning when the heating came back on! Window open wide in November until the thermostat started to take effect. On the positive side, the room was clean, including the bathroom and there were tea/coffee facilities (though I didn't think the kettle was working to start with). Small Sony flat screen TV was OK. Hotel has free WiFi (I hate getting ripped off for WiFi in the UK) and it worked in the room (weak signal, but worked). Beakfast is served in a relatively small dining room in the basement and was OK - cooked breakfast was good. Staff are pleasant and helpful - not British, as you probably expect for central London. On checking out, the only British person present, never bothered asking how the stay was! Over-priced for what it is - I don't think its a free or complimentary breakfast as some reviews sem to suggest - you have paid for it in the room price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Norm58
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2010

Upon arrival we discovered no elevator and we were put on the top floor. The most unpleasant room in the hotel. Sixty nine steps from our room to breakfast room. Is it possible that because we booked online that we got the worst room??

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lucendiois
Monte di Procida, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at The Windermere on a long weekend trip to London. I was very impressed with this hotel. Nice location near Victoria Station, VERY friendly staff, nice clean rooms and the best FREE breakfast around!!! Highly recommend this hotel if you enjoy having a good start to your day!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
vienna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

For our familytrip to London (first time with our kids, 11 and 14 years old) we choose the Windermere Hotel, because of all the good ratings at trip adviser - and thanks to you all, it was a very, very good choice!! First the location: it is very near Victoria Station, we could reach it easily from the airport (Heathrow) and during our stay we could get to all our sightseeing destinys very comfortable. It is a very upperclass part of London, very elegant and quiet. And by the way, to all who have the feeling the hotel and the rooms are small: this is LONDON, old, big city, look at the one million pound houses in the neighbourhood of the hotel, they are even smaller!
The hotel is very charming, we had a familyroom, it was very elegant, everything of good quality, the bathroom very nice, a good place to relax after the sightseeing.
The owner/managers are friendly and very competent, they help with everything. The breakfast is a dream out of an old english tradition, sometimes I felt like in an old Agatha Christie novel with all the sausages, salmon, eggs, muffins, orangemarmelade, baked beans, toasts.......The breakfast room is charming but rather small and because of that you get very easy in contact with other guests, and this was a lot of fun.
This breakfastroom becomes a restaurant in the evening - and we only discovered by chance how great this is, we were too tired to look for something and so we ate there - if this restaurant would be somewhere at an evening "hot spot", I am sure you would have to book month before you want to eat because it is so extraordinary good. From the salad to the dessert, everything was perfect, all done, even the serving, by a wounderful and sweet cook, who makes the whole meal a special event - for our kids he and his food was one of the main attractions in London, if somebody at home asked them. It was a great hotel for our stay in London, we will go back every chance we get, it made our trip to London most special, THANKS!!! only a small advise: if you have trouble walking perhaps it is a bit troublesome with the stairs and no elevator.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

Hotel is in a classic London townhouse, so it comes with character and the odd creaky floorboard, which I like. The room was well presented and a decent enough size for central London standards, (which usually equals very small). Despite fronting road, double glazing meant room was surprisingly quiet. Staff were great, briefly enquired about a taxi, and the next thing we know the pleasant man on the front desk is in the street flagging down a taxi for us! We rolled in at midnight, and tentatively asked if any food might be available, fully expecting a 'no'. Despite the kitchen being long closed by then, within minutes the chef was genuinely and cheerfully only too happy to offer us anything on the ful menu, fired up the kitchen and within 5 minutes we had very good club sandwiches and fries provided. Brilliant, and all in a very nice yet central Westminster location,.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Seattle WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed here two nights before leaving for a conference elsewhere in the UK. The location is fantastic, just a short walk from Victoria coach and rail stations and the tube. It's in a charming safe neighborhood tha't's quiet at night. This is important because there is no air conditioning, and I arrived during a heat wave, so leaving the window open at night was a must. There is a fan in the room, however.

Bathroom is a bit dated but squeaky clean, and the toiletries were surprisingly high quality compared to those you expect in a B and B. Breakfast includes a cold buffet and a full English breakfast to order. Dinner is also available and, despite the limited menu, is excellently prepared.

All staff were over-the-top helpful and didn't shoo me out of my room when I was a bit late vacating. Instead, as I checked out, they offered to help me with my bags, as I'd hurt my ankle and was hobbling around a bit.

The only downside I can report is that the room I had, described as a large single, was rather small and it looks directly onto a shed used by staff, so privacy is a bit compromised. Still, this is a small nit to pick. Overall, it's a fine place to stay in London.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business