“Quaint Hotel, Central Location”

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #96 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Syracuse
“Quaint Hotel, Central Location”
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Nice family owned hotel in convenient location. Room with king size bed and large bathroom on first floor. Very quiet even though we were in a corner room. Full breakfast with great choices. Staff very efficient. Restaurant opened for dinner and food was excellent. Chief Yacine does it all from taking orders to bringing the check. He's there every night except Sunday. It was like having our own personal chief, as the dining room was never crowded. We enjoyed hearing how he immigrated to England. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — restaurant
  • Disliked — room was a little warm but had cross ventilation
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SyracuseCruisenut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed November 6, 2008

If you are looking for a small, quaint, hotel/bed & breakfast, I would highly recommend the Windermere. It's located in a quiet, largely residential area which is about a 5-7 minute walk from Victoria station, which is a large terminal where you can access the Tube.

The Hotel is basically a classic old house with a very charming feel. We were greeted warmly when we arrived (Phil was very nice), and you definitely notice the 'warm house' feel when you walk in. Our room (superior room) was nice and clean, with a modern bathroom.

Two small caveats though: there is no elevator, so bags will have to be brought up & down either yourself, or with the help of hotel staff, and the walls are thin. It's easy to hear what's going on in other rooms, so you might considering bringing earplugs if you're a sensitive sleeper. These things didn't detract from our experience though.

Finally, the breakfast is included in the hotel's restaurant and is very good. You can also eat at the restaurant for other meals but that's not included. Overall a great stay, for a great price actually, and I would definitely go back.

• Liked — Charming feel, free breakfast, nice area, friendly staff, free Wifi
  • Disliked — WiFi didn't work well from our room - had to go downstairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Hello3859
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2008

The hotel was not in a very promising neighborhood, and was much more run down than I expected from the reviews or from their website. We were taken to a sad, little room at the top of the hotel, and left minutes later. It was completely unacceptable. I can not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kgs1958
sylviaminicooper, Owner/Manager at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2008
I am really sorry but you never gave us a chance. We are situated on the residential part of Warwick Way, in a really nice and safe area within walking distance of Victoria Station and some of the most popular London sights such as Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey.
We encourage guests to voice their disappointments whilst they are with us and we try to resolve problems. Although we couldn't change room on your first day, we would have been able to transfer you to a room on the first floor for the rest of your stay. Regrettably, you chose to walk out without sampling our hospitality.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I was in London on my own--a middle-aged American woman. The Windermere was the perfect hotel for me. The room was small, but certainly adequate, and everything was clean. Victoria Station? Just a stretch of the legs. Finding a place for dinner? Just go down stairs into the hotel's little resturant and enjoy meals from fresh ingredients prepared by a fine chef. Breakfast? Not a problem. A full English breakfast in the same restaurant is included in the price of your room.

I stayed at the Windermere five nights,then took a five-day trip to Ireland. The hotel kindly held my extra luggage and such while I was gone. On my return, I was assigned a different room. This one had a great big bathtub that was just right for a luxurious soak.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Windermere as a clean, tidy, convenient, friendly hotel.

• Liked — location, cleanliness, attitude of stall
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed October 2003, traveled solo
3 Thank onelady
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 28, 2008

This place is an excellent find in London. The staff was incredible - everyone extremely friendly and helpful. My sister and I booked this hotel based on it's location but will definitely be going back. We arrived pretty late in the evening because air traffic control problems (our flight was seriously delayed). All we wanted to do was grab a bite to eat and head to bed.

When we arrived at the hotel, we saw that one must ring the bell before entering the building which was very comforting to us. Phil was there to greet us and showed us to our room. We were informed that the hotel restaurant was still open which just made our day.

We've been to London many times and never once have we been impressed with the food...... until now. The food was GREAT and so was the atomosphere.

Breakfast was included with our stay. That included actual breakfast items (eggs, sausage, ham, bacon, etc...) which isn't typical of hotels in London that we've stayed at.

We have stayed at several 4 star hotels in London but so far, this has been the best overall - great staff, great food, great location!

I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank tracyk70
cardiff
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Enjoyed a very comfortable 2 night stay.

Staff are friendly and helpful. particularly for a london hotel.

breakfast is very good.

Location is very convienent, 5 minute walk from Victoria coach station, less than 10 mins from Train station, and theatre for Billy Elliott musical.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
Reviewed September 16, 2008

I booked 2 rooms at this hotel (based on these Tripadvisor ratings) on August 28 for our stay on October 4-5. Later that same day I learned that our flight from Winnipeg to London was not going to happen since the carrier - Zoom Airlines - had ceased operating. So within 24 hrs of my booking I canceled our rooms. While I do not dispute that at the time of booking the hotel told me they had a GBP20 per room cancellation fee, I had hoped that they would not charge that fee given these circumstances. However the hotel still felt it necessary to charge me that cancellation fee - even though I had explained why I canceled and seeing they had more than 4 weeks to re-let these rooms.

I did write the hotel to voice my objection to them charging me the cancellation fee - but they elected not to respond to my e-mail.

Given this total lack of compassion and customer service I can not recommend this hotel and caution anyone booking with them about their inflexible cancellation fees - which amounts to nothing less than a money grab.

Alfred Jobse - Winnipeg

• Liked — Would have liked to stay there - but was unable
  • Disliked — Absurd cancellation policy
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family