“Helpful, pleasant staff and great location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Windermere Hotel

The Windermere Hotel
Ranked #83 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Helpful, pleasant staff and great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Windermere Hotel is located in a cosy neighbourhood at a very comfortable distance from Victoria Station. The room that we stayed in wasn't too big, but after a long day of walking around London, there could be nothing more welcoming than the smile we received at the reception and the warmth of the hotel staff. We were received by Kiril at the hotel reception and he made sure we had everything we wanted in the room. Breakfast was a homely affair. The hotel is within walking distance of Westminster and a little walk further down and you are by the London Eye. It was especially the location that made our stay worthwhile in London.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Manjoori

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Spent 4 nights in the Windermere Hotel and was very pleased. The location is great, a short walk from Victoria Station. We had a Deluxe Double which was very comfortable (and bigger than some of their rooms). London was warm and sunny when we were there (lucky I guess) and the room air conditioner was nice to cool the room off at night. Breakfast was very convenient and tasty. There are several pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Overall a wonderful experience

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex99998
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Windermere and had a most enjoyable time. The rooms are small, but efficient. The bistro downstairs serves excellent food, both for breakfast and for dinner. I picked the hotel online for price and location. Neither disappointed. We were able to walk much of London because of its central location. I would recommend it to everyone, and we certainly would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Came to London for eight nights to really experience the city, since my first visit was purely for work. Been shopping around for hotels and came across the hotel's website. Contacted the management for certain inquiries about their services and proximity to some areas. Response, turnaround time and rates were great, and before I knew it, this was the Hotel that would be my home-base in London.

Upon arriving, I was warmly greeted and oriented about the hotel. All of the staff were superb, from the Reception to the Kitchen; although I didn't get all of their names... One of the chefs was really ecstatic when he found out I was a football fan and I was following the Champions League Semis. Reception was really helpful, directing me to the nearby Post Office, Laundromat and printing out tour tickets for me.

The room was alright. It was clean, maintained and had a certain effect for me that really made me feel at home. The space was okay for me, there was a place for everything I had and then some. T&B was also alright, it was kept clean and sanitized thru-out my stay; water pressure and temperature was alright too.

They really made good use of the small spaces in the hotel, which was very nice. They made good use of proximity sensors for energy-saving; facilities for safety and signage were all over the hotel, which is a big plus for me. You could also see that they were still improving their facilities, as they were installing A/C in the rooms.

Food was also great! Breakfast choices were excellent and I think I had dinner at the hotel about four times. The added comfort of eating really good food just two floors below where you will sleep is another big plus for me.

The location of the hotel was also helpful. It was walking distance to Victoria Coach and Train Stations. This made my day trips, tour pick-ups and return from musicals easier. There was one instance where I walked all the way from London Eye back to the hotel and got to see most of the sites at Westminster, that's how great the location is.

Then, I brought them a treat from my native country, when I arrived, and they really appreciated the gesture, they said that "It was very thoughtful of a guest to bring something for their hosts."

All in all, this made my stay in London a little more special. Wish I could have stayed a few more nights, but hey... there will be a next time!

Room Tip: The Cartmel Room was splendid
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Rey4761
TheWindermere, Chief Operations Officer at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Dear Rey4761

It is lovely to hear from you! I hope you had a pleasant journey back home. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am certain that many people will find your detailed comments helpful. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a real pleasure meeting you, and I am happy to hear that you felt we were "your home away from home". London is an amazing city, with so much to offer, so it is important to have a good base to return to every night, especially for a long stay like yours. Thank you again for choosing to stay at The Windermere.

... and thank you again for your delicious gift. It was definitely well received and appreciated by us all!

See you next time!

Avignon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I needed an hotel near Victoria Station for one night & through internet decided on the Windermere particularly as it had a 'bistro' restaurant - being on my own & not wanting to dine outside. My room was spotless & charming but the bathroom very small which I mentioned on departure. Unexpectedly, I had to overnight yet again on my return to London & having been very pleased with my reception, meal & location, chose to go back. I was given the loveliest room with a really nice bathroom!! I was in a rush for an appointment on arrival & everyone was so helpful, keeping luggage & registering me. etc. I was most appreciative as you do not find such attention in many London hotels! It was also an unexpected pleasure to run into fellow French-speaking guests (as well as the Chef - whose garlic mushrooms are to die for......!)Thank you for two very enjoyable/relaxing but brief stays!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzanne H
Dear Suzanne H

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and even felt compelled to share your comments here on Trip Advisor.

We hope to welcome you again for another relaxing stay, and hopefully a little longer than your last!

Best regards
Rontignon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We spent 5 days in this nice little victorian building during Eastern 2014. We have 3 teenagers (17, 15 and 12) who slept in a double bedroom with one additionnal couch. We (the 2 parents) rented an appartement proposed by the hotel in the same building, inlet door being next to the corner of the building. Though we were reluctant to the idea not to be in the same corridor than our kids, it appeared to be an excellent idea : the flat is large, equipped with a large living room and a kitchen where it was possible to prepare hot meals in the evening for the kids. It enabled us to spend quiet evenings after the intense days of visit.
Furthermore, it represented an economic opportunity for dinner.
Victoria station is 7 mn by foot, not a problem at all. Supermarket in Victoria station inlet gallery when coming from the hotel and food market beside the thaï restaurant close to the hotel
Excellent care of the owners of the hotel, good advices and very professionnal service

Room Tip: Appartment (next to the corner of the hotel) is very good quality for money if you are 5, do not he...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheWindermere, Chief Operations Officer at The Windermere Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Gerard S

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. I am so pleased to hear that you all enjoyed your stay at The Windermere. It can be quite a challenge looking for accommodation suitable for a family of 5. Our Family rooms can accommodate a maximum of 3 persons. We also have a Family Suite which can accommodate 4 people. Therefore, I am very pleased that we were able to find such an excellent solution for you. It is wonderful to hear that you were felt so comfortable. It seems that our motto "your home away from home" was very true for your recent stay!

We hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Best wishes