“Good overall - would stay there again”

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #406 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 11, 2007

Firstly I really liked the location of this hotel. It's walking distance to Soho and Covent garden etc and I felt quite safe walking back there at night.

My room was huge, especially for London standards. It had two double beds and a sofa and still had room to spare. Funny how the bathroom was absolutely tiny, but I didn't mind too much as it was just me and the shower was great. Really powerful with a great sliding glass screen so you don't get any water on the floor.

The decor was pretty dated and I have to say there was a bit of a musty smell when I walked in, even though it was a non smoking room. Things like this mean I would definitely not rate it as five star.

Other things I liked included a free newspaper (the independent) left outside my door each morning and all the staff I met were great.

The swimming pool is gorgeous, and towels are provided when you get down there. I thought the water temperature was a bit too warm for serious swimming though.

The breakfast was above average, but ridiculously overpriced - £20, with no option just to have continental.

I stayed here for work but if I could get a good rate I would come back for a weekend break as I liked the leisure facilities, the space and the location.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank TeaAndToast
There are newer reviews for Grange Holborn Hotel

Reviewed January 7, 2007

Booked a dinner here and although the staff did a great job with setting up, the servers all came in with no deodorant. Booked a meeting here but had to cancel it within 24 hours because upon arrival the room was nothing like it was described via email. Room service took forever. The colors of the rooms are...let's say...different. Not enough elevators and DEFINITELY not enough front desk staff to cover the tourism influx. There were constant lines in the lobby.
NO BUSINESS CENTER!!! Which meant if you wanted to print anything out you'd have to go to the lobby and sit in front of other people (heaven forbid your information was confidential) who could see anything and everything you were looking at. The internet went down several times. I was there for 9 days and didn't have internet for 4. In my opinion, this is unacceptable.
If looking for a suite, go somewhere else. Their version of a suite is a very large room, but not a room with a separate office/dining area.
I'm a meeting organizer and would NEVER recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank yaltachick
Reviewed December 18, 2006

We recently spent a night in the Grange Holborn hotel following a company party nearby. I booked through airmiles, who rated the hotel as 5 star.

While it was nice, it was certainly not five star. I wont bore you with too much detail so here's a summary:

The Good:
Spacious room (but tiny bathroom)
Great swimming pool (used during stay and after checking out)
Breakfast served until 11am on Sunday
Comfy bed
Sony LCD TV

The bad:
FREEZING. The room relies on the air conditioning for heating, which means that it switches off when you take your room key out of the slot. When you come back to your room after a night out you don't want to wait 30 mins for it to heat up again! The tiled floor in the bathroom never heats up either.

The ugly:
Lighting. The room lacked bedside lights. It had a small fluorescent tube light above each bed which didn't seem to work very well, meaning that the lighting was too bright and you had to turn the lights off at the door before getting in to bed!
The furniture. I wondered why there were so many shelves and cupboards (a bit like a caravan) - it turned out that the 2 double beds were "fold out" beds that could be lifted up and disguised as wardrobes!.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if:
a) you can get a cheap (less than £120) deal
b) you go in the summer

• Stayed: November 2006
3  Thank ben_jammin
Reviewed December 16, 2006

We booked our rooms at this hotel at least a month prior to arriving in London by calling them directly. Upon reaching the (very pleasant) reception area, we were asked to take a seat and have a discussion with the Reception Manager, who proceeded to inform us that the two rooms we'd booked all those weeks before were no longer available because "a large party" of guests had "extended their stay". Instead, we were shunted off to the chain's (markedly inferior) White Hall branch, which - in addition to being dingy and lacking in many of the amenities of the Holborn hotel - was located further away from the area of the city we'd wanted.

A cheap bottle of wine for each room was the only consolation on offer, as well as an assurance that we'd be allowed to use the leisure facilities at our original hotel (assuming, that is, we were prepared to hike all the way back there in order to do so).

After returning to the Grange Holborn and complaining to a more senior manager, we were relocated back there for our second night in the city and given a complimentary room upgrade.

While the staff at the Grange Holborn were never less than courteous and apologetic, the whole affair ruined our first day in London and left a nasty taste in our mouths for the remainder of the weekend. It's lousy business practice, giving away pre-booked rooms to large parties who request them, even if it is economically-sound; in consequence, I would urge all readers of this site to avoid the hotel in question like the proverbial plague. If you particularly wish to stay in this area of the city, try the Kingsway Hall Hotel. The latter is located a few minutes' walk down the road and, when we stayed there in 2005, proved to be infinitely superior. (And no, I'm not affiliated with it in any way.)

• Stayed: December 2006
4  Thank GuildfordFamily
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Stayed 1 night for a birthday treat and had a very nice time. Room spacious and well furnished, if a bit of an odd shape. Everything was spotless and comfortable. Breakfast was a very good continental buffet - plenty of choice and excellent quality. Check in/out fast and efficient. We didn't have time to try the pool / health club (maybe next time). Perfect central location for a relaxed weekend in the heart of London - and excellent value at £120 B&B. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Brian&Paul
Reviewed November 11, 2006

My boyfriend took me to stay at the Grange Holborn this weekend for my birthday along with theatre tickets for the Lion King. The hotel was perfectly located for theatre land, it took us about 10 mins to walk to the Lyceum where the show was on and the numerous surrounding restaurants, bars etc. The room wasn't huge but that was probably because there wasn't one but TWO king sized doubles in it, one of them served very well as a luggage store for our one night stay! The room was very clean and nicely decorated, and the bed was SO comfy, with lots of lovely pillows and cushions. Nice plasma screen tv as well. Lovely bathroom with a nice selection of toiletries provided. The only (very minor) criticism I would have was that the breakfast perhaps wasn't quite a five star standard, I've stayed in hotels with lower rankings with better breakfasts, however this wasn't such a big issue for us. Also when we checked in there were only 2 staff on reception and lots and lots of people checking in at the same time so the receptionist was perhaps a little too obviously in a rush and I had to ask how we got to our room. Again though this wasn't a big problem and didn't exactly ruin our stay! Would definitely use this hotel again as a base for doing the whole tourist thing in London!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SJS22
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I stayed at the GRANGE HOLBORN for two consecutive weekends at the end of September. I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel both times.
My only two COMPLAINTS would be that the majority of the STAFF are definitely not "5 star personnel" and that the ice box temperature in the GYM makes exercising in there feel like you're fighting the whipping winds of Antarctica (otherwise, it's very well equipped, modern and impeccably clean, like the entire spa area, the entire hotel really!).
The ROOMS are very spacious for London standards and equipped with everything you need (plus a selection of magazines). On my first stay, I got a twin room with two queen size beds (what luxury), on my second stay, I got two single beds (still nice). Since I have back troubles (a firm mattress is the worst for my sciatica), I was relieved to go to sleep and wake up wonderfully rested in the hotels fluffy BEDS - definitely the most comfortable I have found in London so far.
The BATHROOMS are well above London average as well. Great make-up mirror, good lighting, nice amenities, and again, impeccably clean.
Now, by far the most exciting surprise to me about this hotel was its POOL . It's huge and, contrary to some other critics, I found the temperature to be very comfortable and refreshing (I'm guessing it's about 26-28° Celsius). The STEAMBATH was also lovely, so was the SAUNA. I cannot stress enough how clean everything was kept. The CHANGING ROOMS are rather small (with only two showers) but absolutely acceptable. Nice perks: you don't need to bring towels, you get them at the spa's reception (but do remember to come in slippers), they have water fountains and pitchers with juices at the entrance to the exercise room and the pool area, and wonderful Molton Brown amenities, shower gel, shampoo, soap, and body lotion.
BREAKFAST was included in my room rate (an excellent 109 lbs. weekend special - booked through the Grange Hotels' Website). The staff in the breakfast room was rather horrible (except for one exceedingly professional, accommodating and friendly young gentleman from the Phillipines). In general, they seemed annoyed to be there and couldn't be bothered to answer to any special requests (like, uh, honey). The BUFFET is definitely not 5 star quality, more like a 3. But it is absolutely fine, though, if you just want to grab a bowl of cereal, a glass of fresh juice, and a cup of something hot before you get going in the morning. If breakfast is not included in your rate, however, don't pay the 14 lbs. It's not worth it, and if you don't mind walking 10 minutes to Covent Garden, then' you'll find plenty of scrumptious options there (e.g. PAUL Boulangerie & Patisserie on 30 Bedford Street - delicious!).
OVERALL, I had a very nice and comfortable stay at the Grange Holborn. I will be back, I have booked friends and family there (who were equally delighted), and I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business