“Excellent homebase in central location”

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #416 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I stayed at the GRANGE HOLBORN for two consecutive weekends at the end of September. I thoroughly enjoyed the hotel both times.
My only two COMPLAINTS would be that the majority of the STAFF are definitely not "5 star personnel" and that the ice box temperature in the GYM makes exercising in there feel like you're fighting the whipping winds of Antarctica (otherwise, it's very well equipped, modern and impeccably clean, like the entire spa area, the entire hotel really!).
The ROOMS are very spacious for London standards and equipped with everything you need (plus a selection of magazines). On my first stay, I got a twin room with two queen size beds (what luxury), on my second stay, I got two single beds (still nice). Since I have back troubles (a firm mattress is the worst for my sciatica), I was relieved to go to sleep and wake up wonderfully rested in the hotels fluffy BEDS - definitely the most comfortable I have found in London so far.
The BATHROOMS are well above London average as well. Great make-up mirror, good lighting, nice amenities, and again, impeccably clean.
Now, by far the most exciting surprise to me about this hotel was its POOL . It's huge and, contrary to some other critics, I found the temperature to be very comfortable and refreshing (I'm guessing it's about 26-28° Celsius). The STEAMBATH was also lovely, so was the SAUNA. I cannot stress enough how clean everything was kept. The CHANGING ROOMS are rather small (with only two showers) but absolutely acceptable. Nice perks: you don't need to bring towels, you get them at the spa's reception (but do remember to come in slippers), they have water fountains and pitchers with juices at the entrance to the exercise room and the pool area, and wonderful Molton Brown amenities, shower gel, shampoo, soap, and body lotion.
BREAKFAST was included in my room rate (an excellent 109 lbs. weekend special - booked through the Grange Hotels' Website). The staff in the breakfast room was rather horrible (except for one exceedingly professional, accommodating and friendly young gentleman from the Phillipines). In general, they seemed annoyed to be there and couldn't be bothered to answer to any special requests (like, uh, honey). The BUFFET is definitely not 5 star quality, more like a 3. But it is absolutely fine, though, if you just want to grab a bowl of cereal, a glass of fresh juice, and a cup of something hot before you get going in the morning. If breakfast is not included in your rate, however, don't pay the 14 lbs. It's not worth it, and if you don't mind walking 10 minutes to Covent Garden, then' you'll find plenty of scrumptious options there (e.g. PAUL Boulangerie & Patisserie on 30 Bedford Street - delicious!).
OVERALL, I had a very nice and comfortable stay at the Grange Holborn. I will be back, I have booked friends and family there (who were equally delighted), and I would definitely recommend it!

10  Thank Travellinpoetess
Write a ReviewReviews (2,265)

Reviewed October 11, 2006

hotels I have stayed in, in London. As for the previous comment on the spa, I found the opposite to be true, O.K. the gym is not the biggest but the pool was a smashing size, probably enhanced as we had it all to ourselves. The spa treatment I had was wonderful and not overpriced as you would expect in the middle of London! The only thing missing from the Grange Holborn is a jaccuzzi, there is plenty of room for it around the pool! We had many a pleasant walk back to the hotel at night after the shows as we felt the area to be safe to walk in. We found the staff very friendly and accommodating even when we had to pester them for access to our baggage prior to checking in (as we arrived very early in the morning) and our luggage was being held for us until the room was ready at 14.00. Sorry, we must have driven you all nuts! My spa treatment was carried out by a very friendly dark haired girl from Canada and I apologise for not remembering her name but the treatment was so relaxing, I had difficulty remembering my own name by the end of it all! All in all, a very relaxed and pleasant hotel, clean and spacious rooms, even if the bathrooms were a little on the small side, nice toiletries though made up for it all.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Linda&Robert
Reviewed October 6, 2006

Stayed here for a girlie weekend break in September. Fantastic location - 10 minute walk to covent garden and a short taxi ride from Euston (£7). The room was huge so could amply accommodate the three of us, which made it affordable. The pool was quiet but a bit cold. Sauna & steam room were great. Breakfast was plentiful. I wouldn't class it as 5 star though, more like 4 star. For 5 star you would expect a few more luxuries. Mini bar in the room but very expensive. Nice bar but pricey drinks. Mind you, this is central London. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank lilimax
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Stayed at the Grange Holborn for a weekend break and had a great time, there were a few luxuries missing for it to be a true 5* hotel but for the price of £109 (internet booking on the hotel website) per room per night for a central London hotel we were extremely impressed.

We used the leisure facilities and I must say the pool is probably one of the nicest hotel pools I have ever been to. The room was small but very nice and the continental breakfast was great in the mornings.

The location is fantastic, 5 mins to Covent Garden and excellent tube and bus facilities.

I wouldn't pay the standard rate here but they have some great deals on their website which make it a great value luxurious hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Ktedwards
Reviewed September 29, 2006

The hotel itself is relatively small, however, the bar is open extensively which is of course helpful!

The mini-bar, a rip-off, champagne is a poor brand but you pay the price of Moet!

There is a 'spa' but its of poor quality and not particularly special!

Breakfast is brilliant, well served and as much as you like!

Its an average 5* but could be better!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anonymous99
Reviewed September 29, 2006

Mmm, hard to comment on a hotel that I intended to stay at but ended up being put into a taxi and sent across London to the City Grange which was utterly appalling. I have written a separate review explaining why that was so dreadful but there are two points to make about the Grange Holborn first:

1. 'Losing' internet bookings made several months ago is poor practice
2. Not telling guests before they arrive having parked the car some distance away (no valet parking), lugged their luggage and appeared at check-in when they have phone numbers and email addresses is ridiculous
3.Promising 'upgrades', delightful rooms and exemplary service at the sister hotel without being sure of what would actually happen when the guest arrived is lying.

Would I stay at any of these hotels again? Not if you paid me.

5  Thank Sooky
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I stayed here for 4 nights for a work conference. Being a frequent leisure and business traveller, I have stayed in numerous hotels worldwide. I have to say that, for the money, this hotel tries to be something it is not. The Grange Holborn spends its money on slick advertising and granite finishes, but fails miserably at providing comfort for its guests. For £215 per night you get a very standard room. Nothing more, nothing less. Poor design results in airconditioning blowing directly onto the bed (if it works - I had to switch rooms to get out of my initial sauna room). The bed itself is a low-grade, thin-mattressed, hard as a rock entity that comes industrially wrapped in scratchy linen topped with a 200kg 1978 style blanket which provides little comfort. If the GH wants to be a high-end hotel in London, it's got a lot of work to do. Avoid if you are paying on your own. If work is paying, suck it up and go see some theatre to take advantage of the great location.