“Fantastic hotel, great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange Holborn Hotel

Grange Holborn Hotel
Ranked #389 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Ireland
“Fantastic hotel, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

We booked this hotel on lastminute.com and could not have chosen better. Fantastic serv ice from the minute we checked in, staff could not have done more, they were extremely friendly. Best of all its so central we could walk everywhere and hardly needed to use public transport. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Best cocktails we have had! be sure to try them.

Spa is fantastic.

14 Thank blyberg22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rochester, Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

I booked this hotel through lastminute.com as a surprise for my wife on our anniversary and I am so pleased I did. From the outside the hotel doesn't look spectacular but once you step over the threshold it is a different matter. OK the reception isn't the biggest in the world but then again, you are not staying in reception.

The hotel was spotless and the reception staff friendly and polite. We were given an upgrade to an executive room, everything was clean and tidy, the room included a large bathroom with both shower and bath, a sofa to sit on and an enormous bed.

My only criticism is that the sound on the TV kept dropping out, but if that is all you have to moan about then it can't be bad.

4 Thank Spartan74uk
Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

I booked hotel with a theatre trip so got an excellent deal. The service was excellent and staff very friendly and helpful. On arrival we were delighted to hear that we had been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive kingsize suite which obviously made our stay even better. The room, whilst being on the small size for a suite, was more than adequate for 2 people and the bed was the most comfortable bed ever, better than my own bed at home! A light breakfast was included in the price which was more than I would normally eat - fresh fruit, toast, cold meats, cheeses, pastries, criossants, tea/coffee and fruit juices. We also had the pre-theatre meal which was excellent and good value at £19.95 for 3 courses. I think if I had paid full price for the hotel I would've been disappointed as it is probably not what you would expect a 5* hotel to be, but for the price I paid it was fantastic value for money and I would definately book again if I could get a similar deal.

14 Thank kd0909
crimmo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Maybe it is me but when i think of a 5 star hotel I expect that they do the basics flawlessly with at least one or two special touches to distinguish it from a well run 4 star. How Grange got 5 stars is a mystery. It is at best an adequate 4 star. On the good side it has a great location with the tube very close.

On the poor side was the size of the room, tiny! There was just about 6-12 inches of space around the bed. The room keys kept malfunctioning, the sink stopper/plug did not work, the shower was weak, there was a musty smell throughout. The spa had nice treatments but nothing special. The walkway to the health club smelt awful. When I had the treatment there was no room to relax afterwards and enjoy the afterglow. The staff were uninterested in customers, other than a helpful concierge. The TV did not work properly, the mini bar would not open (although this was a blessing considering how expensive it was). The bar menu had half the items unavailable.

I could go on.

If you go with low expectations and use it as a base to explore London then it is ok, otherwise don't expect the 5 star treatment.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank crimmo
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

We checked into the Grange Holborn on Friday night and after reading reviews on Tripadvisor I was very apprehensive. The hotel was booked as part of a package deal for my hen weekend and there were 8 of us staying for the weekend in twin rooms. We checked in quickly and effortlessly and our bags were brought to our rooms. All the rooms were very large and spacy with big lcd tv's. We all had 2 double beds in a room which was great. The only downside to the rooms were the size of the bathrooms which were compact given the large side of the room. Breakfast in the morning wasn't too bad. Continental breakfast was included in our room rate but you could upgrade to Full English for an extra £8 but we didn't see the need. There was a huge selection of cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses, croissants and danish pastries. On top of that there was fresh tea and coffee and toast. Plenty to fill you up for the day. On Saturday centrered around a Spa day using the hotels facilites. This was a little bit of a let down. If you just want a swim and a sauna/ steam then its fine but its not designed for lazing around as it was sold to us. The only chairs available were dining style chairs which were not comfortable!! Spa treatments I would give a miss for what they charge. I had my nails done and her techniques and hygiene were questionable to say the least. The therapists are all eastern european and quite brash to say the least. The Hotel is in an excellent location for getting out and about and is literally 2 mins away from the tube and 5 from Convent Garden. Overall it was a pretty good hotel and I would stay there again. Its not a 5 star bordering on 4 I think but not anywhere near as bad as other reviews.

• Stayed August 2009
4 Thank SiobhainAH
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

Booked through lastminute secret hotels, and I was a bit disappointed when I'd read the reviews here. Wasn't expecting much at all. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and we had an enjoyable stay.

Plus Points -
- fantastic location (probably only time I've been to London and not had to set foot on the tube!). 15 mins walk to West End / Covent Garden, 5 mins to British Museum.
- large room, comfortable bed, lovely bathroom
- pool / gym are ok. Nothing special but ok.
- staff were really helpful, getting out maps and A-Z to help us find where we were going. Always smiling and helpful.

Downsides -
- breakfast is a ridiculous £24. I know it's London, but seriously !
- decor a bit cheesy and dated

Overall, I feel ambivalent about it - nothing special, nothing awful. It would do fine although it's really the location that's moved this from a 2 to a 3 rating.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed for the weekend and must say I was very disappointed having booked what is described as a five star hotel. My husband booked it and he had not researched it in trip advisor first if he had he wouldn't have booked it. The hotel is in a great location which was the only thing that I could recommend about it. The rooms were in need of modernisation and the customer service was non existent. Could think of a lotter better places to stay in London at the same price.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple