“Budget hotel with good location and friendly staff”
Review of The Dover Hotel

The Dover Hotel
Ranked #636 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London
“Budget hotel with good location and friendly staff”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The rooms are tiny and we ended up in the basement. The free Wireless did not Work well in our room and we did minimize the hours we stayed in the room because of the very limited space. The bathroom should more correctly be named bath cabin. Staff is friendly and the location is good. Next time we will be search for a slightly better hotel. There are many others in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We appreciate your comments. We provide comfortable rooms at very reasonable price in the center of London. The hotel is situated in old Victorian building and to modernise the structure is very difficult. We will consider your recommendations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Malta
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Rooms are a bit small, but location is less than 5 mins walk from Victoria underground, train and coach services, hence accessibility to all London landmarks and beyond is no problem. Good value for the price paid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to London. We are conveniently located near Victoria Rail, Underground and Coach Station (just 3 minutes walk), as well as the Gatwick Express for Gatwick Airport and other major transport links to provide easy access to all tourist and business areas. We're also well located for shopping in Central London. We are within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, Whitehall and Parliament Square, as well as the London Eye, River Thames and Westminster Abbey.
We provide comfortable rooms in excellent location at very competitive price.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Keywords: Drafty, noisy, dated, dirty.

Before I continue, I must say that I'm not a snob when it comes to hotels, so long as they meet basic need of warmth I'm happy. This hotel failed!!! My employer booked me this hotel when on business in London recently. The pokey rooms are beyond dated, the fabrics are worn and faded, the bathroom was like being confined within a tiny bloodclot. My non double glazed window did not shut so I spent all evening with a draft blowing over my bed and woke to a runny nose. I cant explain why but I did not feel secure and you are required to leave your room key at reception, this tried my goodwill and trust. I decided to set a trap, I positioned a carton behind the door so should anyone enter I would know as the carton had been moved... the carton did move, however, with reference to window draft I cant be sure if that was the culprit. And noisy isn't the word, the walls are paper thin, some people had pizza delivered in the next room to me, I could hear them eat it was that bad, the floorboards are also extremely creaky, constant creaks all night. It was that bad, I got up extra early and skipped the breakfast delights. I really had had my fill of this establishment. I toyed with a terrible rating but wasn't sure if that were too extreme, but I still feel poor to be too generous a score. I appreciate terms such as 'you get what you pay for' however this hotel needs a makeover, a serious one, it just feels so neglected, its not slick or professional in any sense of the word. The staff clearly are not hoteliers or hospitality professionals, they are more like wardens or security staff. The DIY issues need to be addressed. Its a shame, as behind all of this lies a beautiful town house, very conveniently located to Victoria/Belgravia that could be an ideal base to explore the capital. However, had it not been work who had booked me in, I would have been out of there much sooner. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor, you get sooooo much noise from above floors!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are sorry to read about your experience at the Dover Hotel. However we feel that you have exaggerated your response. We have been in business for over 25 years with average occupancy of over 90%.
If what you have said is true, we would be bankrupt by now.
We have tried hard to maintain a balance between space and facilities in the Victorian buildings in Central London. We are also in the process of slowly redecorating the premises.

As far as leaving the keys at reception is concerned, lots of guests lose their keys or come at different times back to the room. Hence it is easier to leave the keys with us and we have not had any complains over the years.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Chili
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently returned from London and this was my 3rd stay at the Dover. This hotel is now "my" hotel for my trips to London. Yes, the building is older. Yes, the rooms are on the small side. But they are clean and comfortable. After all, when an American is in London you are basically sleeping in the room and the rest of the time you are out and about so who cares about size.

As for being out and about you couldn't ask for a better location. 5 minutes from Victoria Station.

I'm not much for breakfast anyway, but I can see where a hot English breakfast might be nice for people.

I'll be back in the near future!

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage try to get a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Gary S
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for the valuable time you've spent in sharing your comments through TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you have been satisfied on your recent visit to our hotel. Your generous praise to our accommodation is truly appreciated. Certainly, Again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Abingdon
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Which in this case is not much apart from a location in Westminster. The rooms are adequate but small, the breakfast likewise (yoghurt, cereal and toast) – but the price is a lot lower than a 'good' hotel in this part of London would be.

I needed a hotel near the QE2 conference centre (Victoria Road) and this was the best value one I could find. Despite the disappointing breakfast (which is probably standard for hotels around here anyway) I would certainly stay here again if I needed to be in Westminster again. Walking distance to Victoria station, Westminster Abbey and Parliament Square isn't going to be possible at a better value than this easily.

The only slight let-down is that the 'free Wifi' isn't really free if you want to do anything beyond the very basics – they won't let you use anything but HTTP or SMTP/POP3, and that exclusion list includes SSL (HTTPS), without paying for an upgrade. In 2013 this seems a rather petty and unnecessary restriction.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard S
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was looking for somewhere cheaply priced near Victoria Station for an overnight so I could attend a meeting in London.

The Dover Hotel just about fit the bill: it was certainly basic - from the building itself, the decor, age, size and style of rooms, and the breakfast (cereal and toast only) - but on the plus side it was pretty clean, nice and warm, and the staff were really friendly and helpful, and most of all, it is very near Victoria Station, Westminster Cathedral and lots of other central places. The area seems very pleasant too.

I wouldn't stay more than one night here but for what I wanted and at that price, it was fine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
We take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are glade that you have enjoyed your visit in London. We are in process of updating the hotel and hope that you will find totally different experience on your next visit.
Sundsvall, Sweden
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel staff have been wonderful, so helpful and easy to talk to!! The location's great too.. close to the embankment (and Westminster) and the shopping center, everything of interest is basically within a walking distance. Or if you wish to go somewhere by bus (the sightseeing buses or airport coaches), it's a 5 minute walk to Victoria station. Very convenient.. The very best!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DoverLondon, Manager at The Dover Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for the valuable time you've spent in sharing your comments through TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you have been satisfied on your recent visit to our hotel. Your generous praise to our accommodation, facilities and staff is truly appreciated. Certainly, we will do our level best to look after those areas which require improvements and enhancements. Again, thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.