Tavistock Hotel
$160
$156
Novotel
  • Pool
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$109
galahotels.com
$285
$276
2,799 results
All reviewsrussell squareimperial hotelsbritish museumjacques wine bareuston stationfull english breakfastrooms are basickings crossbudget hotelbuffet stylebreakfast staffcovent gardensister hotelexcellent locationtea and coffeepiccadilly linest pancras
Reviewed January 10, 2006

My daughter and I stayed here this same time last year for three nights and were very happy, so when my brother and I were in London for one night on our way home, I of course decided to stay here again. This time however, I wasn't nearly as happy. For starters, I only had a short time in London, and wanted to see as much as possible before dark. After delays on the plane and underground, I was happy to finally reach the hotel and get started site seeing. Apparently they were training a new staff member, so our check-in took twice as long as it should have, with each detail being explained step by step. Now they didn't know we were in a hurry, so I can't really blame them for that, it was just frustrating.

When we reached our room on the 4th floor I was somewhat disappointed. It was smaller than the room on the higher floor we had last year, and the bathroom was tiny! Much, much smaller than the one last year. Everything seemed just as clean as before though. However, when I took a bath that night, I found hairs all over the bathroom, including in the tub that didn't belong to us. The towels left a lot to be desired too. There were two thin, rough towels and nothing else. No wash clothes, which I know is sometimes normal, but there wasn't even an extra towel to dry your hands on after washing them.

Since it was raining, dark, and nearly all the attractions had closed, and we had to be at Victoria by 5:30 a.m. the next morning, we made a short night of it, and were back at the hotel by 19:45. We stopped by the front desk on our way up to our room to arrange for a taxi the next morning. We were told, in an almost rude way, that we needed the porters desk. We turned, and just as when we came in there was nobody there, which is why we went to the front desk in the first place. We turned back to her and were told he was probably just in the back. After finally getting the porters attention, he told us to call back after 21:00 because the night shift porter would be there. Glad we weren't going to bed early! Couldn't he have just taken our information and passed it on? At any rate, we waited, and called down to the porter after 21:00 and arranged the taxi for 5:00 a.m. We also requested a 4:00 a.m. wake up call.

Last year, I had no problems with the traffic, but being on a lower floor, and on a corner near a busy intersection, that's all I heard all night long! I know I must have slept, but I sure don't remember it. It felt like I was awake all night long listening to traffic!

At 10 minutes before 4:00, our wake up call came. Thank goodness for the extra time, because at 15 minutes before 5:00, I heard honking outside, I looked down to see our taxi waiting for us! We grabbed up all of our things and dashed for the elevator. When we got down there, the meter was running! I was too tired to argue or complain and was just glad to be getting home. We left too early for breakfast, but like everyone else has expressed, if it's the same as it was last year, it's better skipped anyway.

All in all, for the price, location, and the overall quality (which I know is still there somewhere, maybe above the 4th floor perhaps?) you can't really beat this hotel. The staff aren't nearly as pleasing as they were, but hotel staff come and go, so it could be an all new staff next time.

I'll give it one more chance, I really hope the somewhat negative reviews of recent, aren't a sign of things to come, because this really was a great little hotel!

12  Thank morjem911
Reviewed January 9, 2006

I just got back from my vacation with my girlfriend and we stayed at the Tavistock while in London. We booked on the British Airways Holidays website, and got a good discount from it. The reason we stayed here is because I am the third generation to stay here upon visiting London. I felt it was my duty to my aging grandmother to stay here, and funny enough, she has the same things to say about the hotel.

Postives...
-Location is great. Steps from Euston Station and The British Museum, and walking distance from everything. Tube stop (Russell Square) is on the Piccadilly line and you don't need to tranfer if going to and from Heathrow Aiport.
-Cleanliness. The room was always clean and they always seem to have housekeeping changing rooms.

Negatives...
-Breakfast in general. Restaurant Staff unpleasant, breakfast unpleasant. Waste of time and money.
-The bed could have been more comfortable, and I think the hotel would benefit nicely from a remodeling, maybe to bring them at least into the 90's.

All in all, don't expect the Hilton, and if you can handle this then you are set. It is London, you are meant to wake up, leave your hotel and return late and crash.

8  Thank Perfik
A TripAdvisor Member
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed January 3, 2006

If you are not vigilant enough, they will sneak their own currency conversion in right before charging your credit card. They put the terms of the conversion on the receipt, but they do not verbally point it out to you before you sign. Needless to say, their conversion rate is not as good as what you get from the credit card itself. I feel like I've been cheated.
Otherwise, the place is OK.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

We spent 5 nights at The Tavistock last week, Dec. 6 - 11. Excellent location, easy access by tube and bus, both regular and turistic. British Museum and Petrie Museum at hand, Covent Garden and Theatreland at wakable distance.

We made our booking in october, through spanish internet service Rumbo. We checked it by e-mail one week before our arrival and everything was OK. Asked for a double bedded non-smoking room in a high floor and we got everything.

The room (fith floor, just over the main entrance) was small for US standars, but clean and well kept. A double bed, one chair, a closet, a desk with three large drawers and the bathroom. Also tv, water heater and a few toilettries (3 soap bars every day).

The staff was helpful, but we don't asked for anything out of our reservation. The phone rate, calling to US, Canada and western Europe, 1 GBP/min.

A double UK socket in the room, and a 220/110 V soket in the bathroom, only for shavers.

Just out of Russell Square tube station, you can buy anything at Tesco; very close are also good pubs (Friend at Hand, The Lamb, Lord John Russell) and other restaurants and convenience stores.

Only two warnings: the room can be very heat by night, and there is no temperature controller; we slept only with our t-shirts, top sheet and a thin blanket. And the continental breakfast can be boring if you stay long, only toasts, bread rolls, butter and jam.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank poor_talker
Reviewed October 26, 2005

I recently spent two nights in the Tavistock Hotel near Russell Square in London. I booked through the British Airways website. The cost for a single is 61 pounds sterling and a double is 82 pounds. There are sometimes small discounts available online, but this is a very good price for London.

What I liked:
There is a lift (elevator). The public rooms, my room and the bathroom were spotless. The room always smelled fresh and was obviously cleaned thoroughly every day. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. The staff were helpful, especially the boys at the concierge desk. My suitcase split its zipper on the day I had to travel and they found me some heavy duty tape to mend it for the flight. They also helped me insert the sim card in my new mobile phone. They also help you with your luggage if you want. Ladies appreciate these things.

I was given a room with two single beds (I am not sure they have any rooms with just one bed) for that price of 61 pounds. It had the beds, a cupboard with hangers, a desk unit with drawers for clothes and a television. It also had enough room to move around without bruising yourself. My room looked out onto Tavistock Gardens at the front and had double glazing to combat traffic noise.

The area is very handy for everything. You have Russell Square tube station a couple of blocks away (on the Picadilly line for coming from Heathrow), you can walk to Tottenham Court Road and Goodge Street Station is also within walking distance. It is easy to get to any sights without spending ages on the tube. The area seemed very safe as there was always plenty of movement due to the proximity of London University. There are coffee places, laundries, pubs and restaurants all around the area. There is an internet place a couple of blocks away, as well as a Waterstones bookshop to buy a map or guide to London if you need it. In short: cleanliness, location, value for money.

What I did not like:
I am not a breakfast person so the breakfast was not an issue with me but it might be for others. In the price of your room you get a continental breakfast. This consisted of a basket of cold, if fresh, rolls on the table. You get a glass of juice too. There are little packets of jam and butter. A member of the staff brings you tea or coffee in a cup. I had tea and it was not delicious. I reminded myself that I don´t like breakfast anyway so what was I doing there and I left after making a small dent in a roll and taking two sips of tea. You can pay for a cooked breakfast and this costs under 5 pounds, which is also a good price. It was a buffet and seemed to have everything you might want but I didn´t. I thought the staff in the dining room were less nice than the other staff at the hotel. My waiter even argued with me about whether I had ordered tea or coffee.
So, if you like breakfast, buy the cooked one or visit one of the many coffee places nearby.

16  Thank dancingmolly