Tavistock Hotel
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
The Euro Hotel(London)
2,762 results
All reviewsrussell squareimperial hotelsbritish museumjacques wine bareuston stationfull english breakfastrooms are basickings crossbudget hotelbuffet stylebreakfast staffcovent gardensister hotelexcellent locationtea and coffeepiccadilly linest pancras
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 14, 2005

Just got back last night. Stayed Feb 9-13 2005. I went back and forth with this hotel and asked A LOT of people on this site for their opinions because i wasn't sure after reading the hotel review - but i have got to say, this hotel was an unbelievable deal and I would definately stay here again (unless of course i come into a ton of money and can mindlessly blow it on a trendy boutique hotel!!) I paid 264 US, which included tax and breakfast which we never used (rather experience something differenet each day), through BA's site. The hotel has about 8 floors and probably about 40 rooms on each. We stayed in room 835 which I HIGHLY recommend. It was 100% clean, a good size and was located on the inside, facing the courtyard so there was no noise at all. The heat was not a problem at all in this room. For a hotel room in the EU this was an expected size. The room was simple and spotless and the bathroom had a tub too with hot water and great pressure!!!! Wish my tiny apartment in NYC had this kind of pressure! If you are looking for luxery this is not it. However, if you are looking for a clean room with enough space for you and a companion and and unreal location and deal, then this is the hotel for you. It is located right off the Piccadily line at the Russell Square Tube. It is a 50 minute ride on the tube from Heathrow. A one way ticket was approx. 7 pounds for 2 people. There is a lift in the Russell Square tube and about 10 stairs - not a big deal at all, of course depending on the size of your luggage, age etc. I am 30 years old and live in NYC so lugging luggage up train stairs, taking the train to the plane and small apartments are in my blood, so I felt right at home here. I just can't justify spending a lot of money on a hotel room when I literally only slept and showered there - we were never in the room - and there is SO much more to spend money on than a hotel. This was my boyfriend's first trip to western Europe and his first reaction to the room was "wow great room, so clean, we really got a great deal." The staff was nice and we arrived at 10am and they let us check in early which was such a treat and so needed cause we took a 3 hour nap and were ready to roll. On our last night there (Saturday) we had gone out VERY late and got back to the hotel at 10 am!!! They let us extend out checkout until 2pm free of charge, after that you pay and they held our luggage for 2 pounds until we were ready to hit the road at 5pm. There were no toiletries in the bathroom other than soap, but I usually bring my own shampoo and conditioner anyway and I brought a "squeegie" wash sponge and tossed it after the trip. The only outlet was in the bedroom, none in the bathroom, which was fine. I just dried my hair in the mirror while watching the BBC. I didn't check out the other floors, but did notice that the hallway got warmer as we walked toward the elevators (our room, 835, was located at the corner end of the hotel, so maybe the lower # rooms are warmer) I have a feeling that the rooms on the higher levels may be in better condition, however, this only based on the elevator doors opening on floors 5 and 4 and me noticing the decor and doors. If you can, ask for the 8th floor and a room from 820-835. I posted pictures of the hotel that I specifically took for all of you on this site. Enjoy!!! Also, the other imperial hotels are all near by so I took a quick look at them and I would def. say I'd take the Tavistock all over again. The others (imperial, president, bedford and national) look much more rundown, and they are all located on the main street (Southampton) as opposed to a side street like Tavistock and they are more expensive and I can't imagine that they will be any better. Again, we were 150% satisfied. I have travelled a lot over the years from Iceland to Rio from Cali to Prague and this was by far the best deal. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. Don't waste money on a room you will never be in - go out to a great dinner, see a play, splurge on some cool stuff. I feel like I got the deal of the century. I'd be happy to answer any questions about this hotel or my trip in general!!! Had a GREAT time!!!

39  Thank annmarie1122
Reviewed February 14, 2005

I stayed at the Tavistock last month with 2 friends. We booked a triple room with British Air for $308 each for 7 nights, which is pretty fantastic for London, especially central London! (With the obscene exchange rates, we certainly appreciated the savings in the accommodation area!)

We were given a triple room (3 single beds) overlooking the other side of the hotel, so no views to speak of, but then, you're not there to look out windows, you're there to actually go outside. The room was a nice size, more than ample space to fit 3 adults with their 3 suitcases. There were 2 closets and plenty of drawer space, so we didn't have to live out of our luggage either. The room also was equipped with a TV and coffee maker.

The toilet was separate from the wash area, which was very helpful. There was a tub with shower, which had fantastic pressure and was very clean.
There is no hair dryer in the room, but you can get one from housekeeping for a refundable 20 pound deposit, and adapters are 3 pounds.

I agree about the central heating, it could be very oppressive at night. However, nothing simpler than to open the windows, so it was dealt with quite easily.

Our package came with free continental breakfast, which really was not worth it. Rolls, toast, and coffee, tea, or juice. I thought it absurd that you couldn't even have the cereals unless you paid for Full English, which was a complete rip-off. Go find the nearest non-trendy cafe or pub and get a proper English for less. The servers were very friendly though, so if you do head down to the breakfast here, you're sure to have engaging conversation!

Russell Square tube station is a very short walk for the Piccadilly Line (easy transfers to the Northern and Central lines, and it takes you right to Heathrow). There is sometimes construction being done on the lifts, which are the only way to get to the lines, so sometimes the wait can be an inconvenience if there's a crowd of travellers waiting for one. If you are coming back after the tubes close, there's a night bus that drops you very close by, and other buses that run during the day along Upper Woburn Pl. (the east side of the hotel.) I had no issues walking back late at night from areas in Soho, but most people would probably not want to do that, unless you know your way around very well. :-)

The hotel's surroundings are lovely; Tavistock Square and Russell Square are both tranquil green areas (so wonderful to sit there and people-watch).
The area is very close to the British Museum, and if you love to walk, you can easily reach Oxford Street and other more central locations. There are also internet cafes and a post office in the area.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Tavistock if you want to stay close to the center, and especially if you get a great deal like I did!

10  Thank LadyOlivia
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 31, 2005

we look forward to visiting london in the beginning of january, when we can, to do some shopping during the sale period. we paid 54 GBP nightly for our doublebed room.

we asked to stay in the no smoking park of the hotel and were given a room #502. Did not come across any smoke in our section of the hotel.Nor in the breakfast room which opens at 7am. the room looked like it was recently renovated and matched that in the photo on the imperial hotels website.

The included Breakfast was the most basic we have ever had,just plain toast (with butter or a varied fruit jams).Though you could take as much toast as you can eat.Served by friendly waitress was tea or coffee, which I found good. I also helped myself more than once to the orange juice (which although wasnt squeezed) was good.as a treat for the last two days we upgraded to the full english breakast.that cost us 4GBP pp each time.

the room temperature got unconfortably hot unless you opened the windows.thankfully our room had a neat system of double windows which allow you to regulate the entry of winter air.we also used the space between the windows to keep goodies we bought from the grocer cool.with windows open however you can hear the ambulances (a hospital nearby?).

the room was of good size and the bathroom was large.our room had a tv and kettle and closet.we made use of the luggage room too on our last day there(60p per bag)

we have been many times to london and the tavistock is one of the better hotels in this category. we plan to use this hotel again.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 26, 2005

First of all I would like to admit that I am sentimetally involved with the Tavistock Square area, as I used, as a student, to live at a Hall of Residence overlooking the square and Tavistock Hotel.Ever since, I have visited London several times and four times have stayed at the Tavistock. So, I know what to expect from this hotel.
My last stay was January 19-22. I had booked a single room overlooking the square three months ago by phone. I arrived at 10 am on the 19th and the recertionist managed to meet my requirements checking me in IMMEDIATELY and giving me room 418 (which is actually twin room charged as single), on the fourth floor, with large curved window overlooking that very beautiful sq.I highly reccomend this room for single travelers but not for non smokers. (I am a smoker, so smells all around the hotel do not bother me). Room space enough for singles, carpet in good condition,beds comfortable,bed covers-blankets so,so (in my last visit they were worse),rest of furniture
average, tv set with remote control showing English channels + four radio channels.one socket, boiler for tea-coffee(BRING YOUR OWN)
bid capboard.Windows are double so been at the fourth floor you can only hear clearly ambulances, fireengines,police.Bathroom with enough space, bath-shower, very hot water with execive pressure, no shower gel, (BRING YOUR OWN TOILETRIES). Central heating more than I could stand, so I was sleeping without blanket and at daytime I had my window little opened.
I was paying for English breakfast which consists of eggs,bacon.saussages,red beans, toasted bread, all kind of jam, enough to fill you with energy for hours of siteseeing.The rest of the public areas are nothing special, but anyway I never used them.
Location pefect, Russel sq. tube 5 min. walking d.
British museum, Covent Garden etc less than half an hour walk.
VERY SAFE area during the night, just minutes away from horific Kings Kross.
In general, if you spend most of your day out ( London is full of temptations to keep you on your feet all day through) Tavistock hotel is more than adequate compared with filthy b&b's nearby
But if you are, or think like an American, (MY hotel is the centre of my vecation and my room must be equal to my house rooms) then go to the Savoy and pay happily 250 GBP a night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8  Thank SpartiGreeceMichael
Reviewed January 17, 2005

So, I will go straight to my point. Overall not as bad considering the price paid (approx. Stg55 / twin room per night), but unfortunately the negative comments still outnumber the positive ones.

what's good about Tavistock....
1. location (very central, close to british museum and russel sq. station)

2. plenty of hot water (at all times) and good water pressure.

3. helpful and reasonably polite staff (we were allowed a free 3 hour late check out)

4. rooms were cleaned everyday, towels also changed daily.

now what's bad....
1. rooms are extreamly small (you cannot walk in between beds) and if you're carrying more than one suit case then think again cos you either sleep on it or leave it in the bath tub.

2. furniture is very old, bathroom door was broken and had no handle. Carpets and bed covers are desperate for a change. The room had also an internal door adjoining another room. You can hear every word in the room next door. Wallpaper and ceiling paint was all coming off. Windows were rusty.

3. the whole hotel smells of cigarette smoke, actually stinks not smells, and if one suffers of ashma there's the place where he probably gets an attack.

4. breakfast - yes of course it was included in price but was not worth having it. Just plain toast with butter ONLY, orange diluted water (yeah thats right not the otherway round more water than juice) and absolutely horrible english coffee / tea.

5. very hot room temperature (unbeleivable but true - we had to sleep with our windows open - in mid January) the air was suffocating

6. bathroom (only a bar of stinky soap is supplied). Shower curtain - dirty and sticky. So small that in order to close the door you have to stand on the toilet bowl (the one in room 714)

7. All night long you can hear an irritable banging of pipes in the walls.

8. Only 1 spare power socket in the room, no shavers in the bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2005