Tavistock Hotel
galahotels.com
$288
$279
2,793 results
All reviewsrussell squareimperial hotelsbritish museumjacques wine bareuston stationfull english breakfastrooms are basickings crossbudget hotelbuffet stylebreakfast staffcovent gardensister hotelexcellent locationtea and coffeepiccadilly linest pancras
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Everything about the room was 'acceptably adequate', without any aspect being plush, or luxurious. Price of the room was reasonable for being in central London, and only ten minutes walk away from main stations and underground made it hugely user friendly. The first night (of three) we were granted a free three-course meal in Jacques (next door), but you could only select from a very limited and uninspiring menu with this offer. The portions were certainly generous, well presented, and it filled a need we had for quick meal before a show, but doesn't reflect particularly well on the hotel itself. I would rather have had a '£20 off' voucher to use there, and then would perhaps have enjoyed the experience of dining at Jacques rather than just tolerated it. Decor of the restaurant was a bit drab and plain. Breakfast in the hotel was a far better experience; the continental breakfast offering is very limited, but the cooked breakfast bar allows for a good and happy start to the day, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. Would I stay here again ? Yes - it was quite adequate, very well positioned, and overall quite reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms that open on to the street don't have air conditioning, so it you like a bit of fresh air in the room, you'll have to just accept the traffic noise that comes with the window being open.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LeBoulevardier
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Good location, but otherwise just an okay hotel. The breakfast was minimal. You'll be better of having breakfast at Costa or getting something at Tesco Express (both are located short walk from the hotel towards Russell Square station). The shop right next to the hotel is expensive, wouldn't recommend unless you're in a hurry and absolutely need something.

The wifi does not work in the rooms. You can get a password and username at the reception, but it only works for four hours (less if the wifi kicks you out, you'll need a new combo to log in again).

The shower was difficult to set to a nice temperature. There was no shampoo, just pieces of soap that were replaced with new packages after each cleaning. I was very disappointed by this. Such horrible waste!

The teacups in the room hadn't been properly washed. When I poured water in them, I got a greasy layer floating on the surface and the tea immediately coloured the cup brown. Neither happened after I washed the cups myself. The remote control was dirty as well. Though I'm very happy there was a kettle and tea in the room.

Otherwise the room was nice and clean (though fitted carpets are disgusting no matter where you go). The staff was very nice and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sade M
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We went to London in Februaryto see a show that had been pre-booked as a gift for us. Usually we drive everywhere but this time we decided to take the train....... After a stressfull journey due to train changes & delay etc we arrived at our hotel.
Check in was easy but when we got to our room it was a twin & not a double. I phoned down to reception who said to go back down. Our room was changed without question.. no problems.
Our room was clean,warm and comfortable.Breakfast was excellant and there was lots of it.
The Hotel is situated within walking distance to the tube station,theatreland, good shopping area & lots of places to eat Our stay was nice despite the cold weather and yes I would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie-Dawn13
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I just wrote a review on my travel blog which I'll share here. I cared about three things when it came to accommodation in London: location, cost (cheap), and cleanliness. During my browsing I came across the Tavistock Hotel and it was most fitting for my budget and fit my location desire.I knew from the costs and reviews that I should not expect the Ritz and for the most part, the Tavistock Hotel was what I expected.

The Good:

-Early check in: Not sure if this is something everyone would experience, but an amazing part of my trip was I was able to check into the Tavistock at 10am. I e-mailed beforehand and was told mostly likely the room would not be ready so I arrived expecting to simply drop by luggage off, but tried my luck, and I could check in! This was FANTASTIC and made a huge difference in my trip.
-Public Transportation: hotel is in central London. It’s closet to Russell Square Tube Station (5 minute walk) and London Euston (10 minute walk). Plus a 15ish minute walk to St. Pancras International.
-Safe: as a young woman walking alone in the evening, I always felt safe. There were always people around at 10pm to midnight when I would walk to the hotel. Plus the street lights are bright.
-Free wi-fi in the lobby: I read reviews that the wi-fi was slow at the Tavistock but I never encountered any problems. I used it 2-3 times a day.
-Atmosphere: I liked that the hotel was quiet. There were other guests, but I was always able to get a seat in the lobby and the elevator was always quick.

The OK
-Service: The hotel staff were simply okay. No one was especially friendly aside from some men who seemed to like to flirt (but for the most part, I’d barely get a “Good Morning” or “Hello” from anyone), BUT no one was rude either. The one disappointing thing was I did request a ‘wake-up call’ one morning but never received it.
-Bar: I really wanted a hotel with a bar and I utilized it once during my stay. It was nothing spectacular and usually quiet. It was nice to have the time to yourself (and you can access the free wi-fi at the bar too).
-Room: The room was what I expected at the Tavistock. It’s small, but fitting. I always had hot water and it was clean so I was happy. The single beds are very small and on wheels (so you may roll a tad during your sleep…). Walls are very thin. I often felt like someone was entering my room when a neighbour would open their door.

The Bad
-Restaurant: I had a free dinner voucher for my first night which I used at the Tavistock’s restaurant Jacques Wine Bar. The food is okay; nothing spectacular or that delicious. Edible I suppose. I had the fish and chips (greasy, no mushy peas…looks pretty sad after you’ve had real fish and chips in London). I have to say I’m glad my meal was free. (You do get to choose from 4-5 restaurants from the Imperial London Hotels chain, so perhaps another hotel is more decent. I heard the Indian buffet is the only to try).
-Breakfast: A buffet breakfast is free as part of your stay at the Tavistock Hotel. I decided to take advantage of this one morning. Now, let me say, I don’t consider myself a picky eater. I’m happy with some toast and jam for breakfast. That being said, the breakfast was the worst breakfast I ever had (or left on my plate rather). I don’t mean to sound harsh. There were many, many people dining in the room so I’m sure others enjoyed it…but for me, I couldn’t eat it. I tried a small piece of bacon, a bit of egg, and toast…they were all tasteless or just gross. I felt pretty bad to leave my plate there and I never returned for breakfast again. On the plus side? Coffee wasn’t bad and service is decent. But based on my breakfast experiences outside the hotel, it’s SO worth the money to experience good breakfast in London.

Overall, I would recommend a stay at the Tavistock Hotel to someone who isn’t looking for a ritzy hotel. If you’re on a budget and not looking to splurge on accommodation, it’s a decent stay. Just don’t eat there…

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank RexAngel
Reviewed April 6, 2014

There is a bit of shabby chic to be found here at the Tavistock. The Art Deco is well preserved, and the staff serving breakfast garrulous and friendly. The room is cute, clean, and small; a place to sleep, not hang out. No wi-fi in the room, only in the lobby.

The water pressure of the shower and size of the tub are lovely - we brought our own toiletries and recommend you do the same, but after a long day of sightseeing this was a nice little retreat.

Room Tip: Facing the square is quieter - but this is London, so don't expect silence!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple