“Perfect Bloomsbury location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #578 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Perfect Bloomsbury location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Tavistock is a large hotel with a stylish art deco entrance and bar, and is situated in a perfect Bloomsbury location, overlooking the delightful Tavistock Square. By London standards, it offers good value for money, though the rooms are fairly basic and there is no air conditioning. Nor does it offer additional frills like shampoos and shower gels, etc. But the rooms do have a telephone, television, tea/coffee-making facilities, as well as clean towels and soap, and all rooms have ensuite bathrooms. It also provides an excellent English breakfast, available in a large and busy breakfast room on the ground floor, which is self-service buffet style. The real value of this hotel, however, is its location, within easy walking distance of the British Museum and very close to transport links like Euston and Kings Cross stations or Russell Square tube. Buses also pass the hotel so it’s easy to travel north to places like Camden or Hampstead, or south to Covent Garden or Trafalgar Square. And if the hustle and bustle of central London ever gets you down, it’s always possible to relax in Tavistock Square or visit some of the other wonderful squares in Bloomsbury. I’ve stayed here on numerous occasions and am always happy to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

After booking this hotel for its central location I was looking forward to a fun filled weekend in London with a group of friends. This joy turned to horror upon dealing with the staff at this hotel. RUDE, CONTRADICTORY, SARCASTIC AND PATRONISING are the words I can publish in this review. This really was the worst customer service I have ever received. The room was clean however due to the amount of noise from the crowd gathered outside the takeaway below I got very little sleep.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BobbyAK

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Argyll, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a nice, well priced, period hotel. Friendly and helpful staff. I think the rooms might be very hot and stuffy in summer as in May it was pretty warm. My room was basic and clean which was fine. A good breakfast. I was able to leave my case in the store room for the day I arrived before check in for free and for after check in it cost 50p for the day for my case.

A small fridge and air conditioning would be good in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MOKlass
Notts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I would often stay here for work of leisure and every time found it to be consistent.
The lady, Tessa at the reception was the nicest, politest woman I have ever met at any major London hotel.
The rooms were always clean and tidy with fresh towels waiting in my room. Regardless of the time I arrived (often late) the staff were always there to lend a hand.

In the Morning, there is a buffet breakfast with a choice of the usual grub. The gentleman always greeted me at the main restaurant door with a smile and it was lovely to see the same face each time I was there.
I look forward to seeing Sabrina in the morning at breakfast. She had a warm smile everyday and was always to hand. She would often greet me at my table and ask how my stay was going and it was nice to know that they do take the time with guests individually.
I always got a good night sleep and it was a short walk (2 min) to the tube.

I wish I could stay there all the time...great place

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been staying at the Tavistock for many years. It is a good hotel and the service is friendly and the rooms are good.

One thing that I do finc annoying is that your WIFI is very difficult to connect to and it is a pain to have to log on using a different user name and password each day. I know that to provide this service in the rooms is expensive however I do think that to have an open hotspot in the lobby and bar area that could be used throughout my stay without having to log on each day would be an added benefit.

I would also like to comment on the staff in the breakfast room. I have enjoyed their friendly service for many years. The gentleman at the door is welcoming and when we arriive once we see him we feel that we are 'home'. There is also an Indian lady that is so friendly and helpful. I am sorry I don't know her name but it is easy to spot her as she never stops working.

I look forward to our next visit at the Tavistock.

Douglas Purdon
purdonartist@sympatico.ca

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Thank James D. P
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around 1.30pm and were given a double room on the 8th floor, my goodness it was so small and extremely hot - no air con!! We rang to ask if we could change rooms and were given a twin room on the 6th floor which was a slight improvement although the beds were extremely soft. There are no toiletries at this hotel other than a small bar of soap and no fridge in our room. The staff on reception and the concierge desk were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and the staff were great. The hotel is in an art deco style which is very tired looking and in desperate need of an update. However we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in London but don't think we would choose to stay at this hotel again although the location was very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sumar_11
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very disappointing experience with this hotel! The location may be good, but not much else is apart from that. The staff at reception couldn't be less welcoming. I was handed the card to the room and a bored receptionist didn't even bother to tell me anything else, not even the breakfast hours or place. The room was another bad surprise. On the 8th floor, very small (a double, they said! if that was a double, I wonder what a single looks like), extremely hot, with a strong greenhouse effect in the hot July summer, no air conditioning, windows opening just 2 cm so air could hardly enter through that. A bed of some undecided size on wheels, so when I lied down, it started to roll with me. The so-called "closet" was just a niche in the wall by the window, with a shelf and four hangers. An old TV set, and the worst of all - no internet in the room! Wifi only available in the lobby, so that space was always filled with people on computers, in a permanent noise and agitation, sometimes looked like a bootcamp. I ased the receptionist to print my boarding pass and she couldn't do that for me, she invited me to go outside to some internet cafe to to do it. If they can't print even a miserable boarding pass, what to expect about other things?
The cash machine in the lobby was out of order. Breakfast service is very poor, and the food quality is average. The two lifts are totally insufficient for the traffic they are supposed to cover, always extremely busy, always overcrowded. It takes ages to get one and once in, it stops at every floor. It takes a day trip to get from the 8th floor to the ground floor!
Room cleanliness was reasonable and it is clear that the maids are doing their best to keep the place in good order, but everything else is so poor. To charge 102 pounds/night for this poor service is a shame. For less that I had an excellent stay at a 4* hotel in Brussels, in the city centre right next to the EC offices, the week after. Betting on the location as an attractor to fill your hotel and leaving everything else at such poor level is a very bad strategy.
Unless you really don't care too much where you sleep, do yourself a favour and keep searching for another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business