“Incredibly hot rooms, no A/C”
Review of Tavistock Hotel

Tavistock Hotel
Ranked #579 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 2, 2012

had been a warm day in london,and an incredibly uncomfortable night in the tavistock, DO NOT take a room on the 8th floor!! windows only open 1/2 an inch, and roof radiates heat, was without doubt most uncomfortable night in years! (and I've stayed in dodgy hotels in Kosovo, liberia (where i slept on the floor) , burundi and afghanistan) and didn't sleep a wink
would never go back. spoke to one other guest who has been there before, she refuses to take an 8th floor room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 1, 2012

This place is okay for a few nights, but I stayed for 7, and was really tired of it by then. It is a good budget option and well-located, but its lack of amenities and comforts wear thin quickly. My room was fine and clean, but definitely anything special - not a comfy or soothing retreat from London hubub. The biggest reason I would look for better options if I was returning is the fact that wifi is not available in rooms, only lobby. And on top of that, you have to go get a new code for from the front desk staff every time you use up two hours of access time. And the lobby is full of people (often groups of young people) trying to access the internet too. The breakfast is below average - I got tired of it after a few days and ended up going out to get something even though it was included in price. Also, the elevator is very slow.

If you should need to do laundry while you're there, don't pay the exorbitant hotel price of 18 pounds for a load. There is a laundry service place around the corner on Coram St and you can get it done there for about 10 pounds (still ridiculous, but...). There are some good food options and convenience stores nearby, which is nice - as is the leafy, green Tavistock Square, right across the street.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed for seven nights so I should know. The room small but clean and the staff were good.The newly fitted bathtub is horribly narrow and I am not big.The place is certainly decent and safe and the location is really excellent.
After seven nights stay our flight was at midnight. Had to pay extra 50 pounds for the additional afternoon hours. They made sure we wouldn't God forbid stay after six in the evening as this would oblige us to pay for one extra night.So we stayed in the lobby. Come on hotel managers I was really insulted. Needed a needle and thread for a torn button. Yes I got it but do make sure to return it.
On the whole for our stay London before the Olympics is cleaner and has restored some of its old gloryand the transportation system is excellent with so many new buses and train cars. Yes but Goodness very very unjustifiably expensive.

Room Tip: Have a view of the little park on Tavistock Sq. Check the bathtub it can be very narrow.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Tavistock is a relatively affordable basic hotel in the heart of London, right next to the University College of London and the School of Oriental and African Studies. I've stayed here twice now (last time in 2009), and this time I followed the advice of other TripAdvisor reviewers who recommended the newly-remodeled rooms, and it was indeed a little more comfortable (see pictures). They give you lots of soap but no other toiletries, so be sure to bring what you need! It's also annoying that you can still only access the wifi from the lobby, but the breakfast is ample enough to keep you going, and the staff were decently responsive. It's not the greatest hotel, but given the costs in central London, I'd probably stay there again.

Room Tip: The recently remodeled rooms are a little more quiet and comfortable. And BYO shampoo, conditioner...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nakalanzi
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My partner and i stayed for 4 nights and we thought it was great. The room was very clean but small, the staff were helpful and polite. Breakfast was good and the waiters were very attentive. Nothing bad to say about our stay.Only thing i would suggest to future visitors is to ask for a fridge as there are none in the rooms, we didnt know until our last day that fridges could be hired.Overall a very good hotel and will definately return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wylliekid
Reviewed May 26, 2012

For the centre of London this is an ideal hotel. Clean and easily accessible it is a reasonably priced hotel. Rooms are basic but clean and the reception area has an art deco theme which is actually quite nice. Staff are pleasant and helpful. I particularly enjoyed the staff at breakfast as they were quite short but really charactful and willing to have a bit of banter, which made me and my colleagues laugh! Overall a very pleasant experience and I would return to this hotel for a weekend trip x

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed for one night on 23rd May 2012. I stood for a while at Reception, and was not acknowledged for a few minutes. However, once I was acknowledged, the receptionist was very prompt with my check-in, and I was given a room on the 6th floor, The room and bathroom were very clean, but the room itself was quite shabby and it was really hot in the room. The windows only opened slightly, but did let in a little breeze. I ate a meal in their Jaques wine bar, which was very nice, reasonably priced, along with the wine.
I went down for breakfast the next morning, and was not admitted as I didn't have a breakfast voucher. I wasn't advised by the receptionist that I had to take this to breakfast, so had to go all the way back up to my room to get it. However, 2 business suited guys after me who also didn't have a voucher were let in, as the maitre d' phoned reception to check their allowance. I felt disappointed that I wasn't given the same courtesy. Also, the maitre d' stood in the doorway with his hands in his pockets, and this didn't give a good impression. The cooked breakfast section wasn't as good as I expected. The bacon was quite thick and tough, with quite a few burnt pieces. The sausages were small, but fine. The fried eggs were quite hard and tough. The coffee was quite bitter. It felt very much like a canteen.
Overall, I didn't like the room, it felt quite sombre, however it was clean. One of my pillows was the thinnest I had ever seen, and I had to use one from another bed. The bed had a sheet and blanket, which was quite old and scratchy, however as it was so warm in the room, a sheet was all that was needed. There was no air-con.
Would I return? Unfortunately not.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business