“No A/C, HOT, HOT, HOT!”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #136 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 25, 2005

Be sure to check the weather forecast before staying here. Our visit was from 18-22 June, during the hottest days in London since 1976! The building heated up during the day and did not cool down at night. Thermostat in room kindly let you know exactly how hot it was, our room never got below 27 C, that's 80 F (at 3 am). No AC, only a small fan but the humidity was very high and sleeping was next to impossible. The windows only open a crack so not much outside air got in. The sun doesn't go down until 10:30pm and is back up around 4:00am so the building doesn't get much chance to cool down.

The location is wonderful for the price, but the restaurants, convenience store, etc., all reflect the tourist neighborhood (pricey). Hop the tube a few stops in any direction and find a real neighborhood and you'll enjoy the difference.

The breakfast buffet is adequate, but you'll want some variety after a couple of days, so don't make the mistake of prepaying for your entire stay, the price is the same if you pay on the spot.

Walk back across the Themes after an evening at the "Producers" was magical, one of our best memories of London!

6  Thank Dave0700

A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 16, 2005

The hotel is a quick hop from the Tubes, eating, The London Eye and right on the Thames. Couldn't be a better location. The rooms are up to date, clean, large by European standards, and well equipped. Rates are outstanding for the area and their check in processes are very efficient. I'll never stay anywhere else in London.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2005

Positives: Excellent location, clean room, adjustable heating, good sized lifts, reasonably priced, very good breakfast. Room was 10' by 16' plus a bathroom with shower, hairdryer. Coffee-making facilities in room (something missing from every other hotel we stayed in throughout the rest of Europe). Secure luggage storage room if you arrive before check-in time. No room safe, bar fridge, alarm clock.

Negatives: I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere else in the world where check-in is viewed as a military operation. 2pm check-in time is adhered to rigidly, with rope queue lines set-up for the long lines - expect a lengthy wait! Apparently, not only is check-in time an inflexible rule, so is making any sort of cash advance to guests. One night we returned from dinner in a cab only to discover we didn't have enough cash. After not passing a single teller machine on the way home, I ran inside to ask reception for an advance of 10 pounds, which I asked them to add to our room bill. Of course, they had a rule against this, no matter how much inconvenience and extra expense it put us to, and no matter how easy it would have been for them to do as we asked.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank OliviaandSteve
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I stayed here for 4 nights with my sons (12 and 15). The family room was spacious (even by American standards), and each of us had his/her own bed (the youngest slept on a mattress on the floor). The room was very clean, and the bathroom was modern. The staff were helpful and efficient. Unlike some who have commented on this site, we did not experience a wait to check in. We were served as soon as we walked in the door.
The location is very convenient. At the end of our stay we walked around the corner to Waterloo Station to catch the Eurostar train to Paris.
We skipped the breakfast offered at the hotel and picked up something quick and cheap at the Starbucks or convenience store across the street. We made use of a nice internet cafe half a block away.
The County Hall building itself is very interesting, as it was London't city hall til 1986.

7  Thank southernmom
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We stayed in the Travel Inn, County Hall for three nights from May 27th - 30th. I knew it was a budget hotel, so I wasn't expecting the Ritz. We got a basic room, which provided the necessities, which was all we needed. I'll try to touch on some of the major points:

Queue-
We checked in right around 2:30pm (check-in starts at 2:00), and there was a bit of a queue, but it went quick (only waited 15 minutes). By 3:30, the queue was gone, so if you decide to stay here, try to wait until after the initial rush from 2-3:30, and you should be fine.

Location-
Perfect location! Right next to the London Eye (could see it right outside our window). Bus stops were at the end of the street for tour buses and regular buses. Taxi usually were sitting outside the London Eye, so they were readily available as well. We were able to walk to most major attractions (Tower Bridge, London Tower, Big Ben, Parliment, etc...) from our hotel from anywhere from a 5 minute to 30 minute walk. Honestly, the location combined with the price is what makes this such a good hotel to stay at.

The Room-
It was a basic room. Bed, TV, Desk, Chair & Bathroom. No air conditioning, but they do provide a fan in the room (although, there were no plugs on the wall by the windows, so you could only plug the fan in on the opposite side of the room and blow air towards the windows, instead of placing the fan by the windows, and blowing air into the room). The windows are sound proofed, which cut down on unnecessary outside noise. Thought the TV was broken at first, but then found out in order to turn it on, you have to press the '1' button on the remote (not the Power button, go figure). The room smelled a little musty at first, but with no air conditioning, that wasn't too suprising. Once we turned on the fan, and opened the windows for a few minutes, it was fine. OVerall, I've stayed in better rooms, but I've also stayed in much worse rooms. As long as you expect a basic room, you won't be disappointed.

The Staff-
Some were very helpful, and others not so much. Depends on who you got to help you. There were about 2 or 3 occasions over the three days where I called down to the front desk to ask a question, and there was no answer, which I found annoying. On another occasion, I asked one of the workers at the front desk for a phone book to look up a restaurant we were trying to find. She got the phone book, placed it on the counter in front of me, and then just walked away without saying anything (she wasn't helping anyone else or anything like that, just walked away). Not that she really had to strike up a conversation, but it just seemed very impersonal. But then there were others who were very friendly and helpful, so it balanced out.

Food-
We prepaid for the buffet breakfast the they offer for £6.95 each morning, and the meal was ok. The food was just 'ok' (not bad, but not great either), and they were constantly running out of the eggs and bacon (although, to thier defense, it was usually busy in morning). Overall, though, it was very convenient. We probably could have found something a little better for the same price, but we would have to search for it, and it was just easier this way.

Overall-
It's a nice place, with a great location and very good price comparatively speaking. I would recommend it to our friends, and I would have no issues with staying here again...

38  Thank kmichalec
Reviewed May 27, 2005

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is a perfect location, close to westminster and WAterloo tube stations, the Big Bus Tour stop, a regular bus stop. The street is a gated one, so there is not much traffic to keep you awake. The room was soundproofed. In fact, the day after arriving, we slept in till 1030 without hearing any noise. The staff was attentive and friendly. The room was very spacious, and the sheets were changed every day. I believe the duvet was changed daily also. I felt completely safe in the room, and in the location. We checked in at 3pm, and there was no que. The luggage storage was particularly helpful on the day we checked out. We will definitely stay here the next time we come to london!

11  Thank Denise L
Reviewed May 14, 2005

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!
We stayed May 9-11 and found the location perfect for an American Tourist like me! The hotel is located close to the Waterloo station and the Westminster tube station. There's also a bus stop located at the end of the walkway (you need exact change to buy the tickets) and the rooms are cozy, clean and priced well for London. We booked the rooms online and brought our confirmation papers to the check in (which we did not need to show).

The hotel was located adjacent to the London Eye and the Aquarium, as well as the gallery. What I liked about the location is the front street is a private street, so very few cars can enter. As others posted, there's a mini market across the street for milk, snacks, drinks, postcards, etc., a Starbucks, a noodle house (my husband loved the chicken chow mein), and a few other restaurants like a pizza place (lots of people were eating, but I did not try) and an internet place where you can check your email, 30 minutes for 1 pound.

The other travelers posted about the breakfast which was good. I didn't see anyone post that you can prepay the breakfast, which I did do upon check in. Also, I arrived at 2:45 pm on a Monday, and there were no lines upon checking in. The hotel did have the lobby roped off, I guess in anticipation for a queue, but we just walked right up and had 5 staff members ready to help you.

I did like that you need your room key to use the lifts, and the rooms were spacious, as were the bathrooms. My room overlooked the street and it was quiet. It was a rainy day so I didn't have to worry about the heat, but as others posted, there was a large portable fan in the room.

Some people posted for a top sheet, which I did not ask for... I didn't really need one. They used a duvet liked most European hotels used, and I didn't feel the need for a top sheet.

15  Thank Call_Me_Mo