“Great Location and Value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #134 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Cornwall
“Great Location and Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2008

I get to travel a fair amount and have stayed in Premier Inns all over the place and by in large they are simple, plain no fuss places and the staff are always keen to help.

That said I had never stayed at the County before and I decided I would take my family for two nights, for my wifes birthday.

I have to say the location is just brilliant! right next to the Thames and the London Eye, so finding your way back was not a problem! The food was fine, as was the overall hotels decor
The rooms were not the best compared to other PI's I have stayed at and we didnt get particularly interesting views but for a cheap hotel right in town close enough to the tube you cant go wrong! Well worth a stay

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank sdcsmith2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (867)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

This is a nice hotel in a great location. It is right beside the London eye. I mean really beside it. About 2 minutes from the front door of the hotel. In the opposite direction in about 4 minutes walk is Waterloo station, where you can get trains buses and tubes. It was so easy to get around. From Waterloo underground you have 2 or 3 choices of lines to take to all of London s numerous interesting places to visit. OK, as you may have guessed, it is well located.

Fast check-in and even faster check-out. 3 effeciant lifts. A bottled pop and water dispenser and snack dispenser at the enterance to the ground floor lifts. Also near here are two credit card opperated PC's. (I think all hotels should now aim to provide free wireless to their guests) Great breakfast. Good enough dinner. Decent sized bar, but not much athmosphere there. Good sized (high) beds and bedrooms. All very clean.

I think this hotel would be hard to beat for location and quality. It is right beside the much more expensive Marriott. If you arrive there by Waterloo tube, follow the signs for London eye or South Bank and you will exit the correct way for your hotel. Walk towards the London Eye and take the street to the left about 100 metres before you reach the eye and the hotel entrance is just a few metres on your right.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no free WiFi
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wearb
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

My family & I stayed here for a weekend at the beginning of November 2008.

Let me first state quite clearly that I loathe going to London. I detest the place, and become Mr Grumpy all weekend when dragged along to our crowded capital.

The Premier Inn softened the experience somewhat. We went by train which was faster, easier & cheaper than driving, and an easy tube ride from St Pancras dropped us just a few hundred metres from the hotel (Waterloo undeground station?).

The mainly East European staff were friendly, and the queue to check in was not too long. Our room (No. 600) was spacious enough for the family, with a double bed in one area, and a single bed & a pull out, for the two kids in the adjoining annex.

Bland, plain, beige-washed walls, pristine tiled bathroom with solid, steam-proof door. What do you expect? Give me a homely pub room in Yorkshire any day, for 1/3 the price :)

Once the long queue for breakfast had subsided, we served ourselves the usual stuff, and the "kids eat free" deal meant the price was right.

After trudging around in the rain all day, playing the tourist at the Tower, and then enduring the shopping hell of Regent Street where you get less personal space than a battery hen enjoys, finally getting back to the Premier Inn was actually quite a relief.

The first night we ate at a converted firestation pub / restaurant, which was fine, and just a short walk away. The second night was more my choice of eating; a nice little Indian restasurant, called, bizaarely, "The Thames" , also just around the corner on Waterloo Road.

During the night I thought a I heard a deep disco bass beat. It went on all night, both nights, right until the morning. The tune never changed, but I suppose that's modern music for you. My wife, Kylie, never noticed it, until I pointed it out, then she couldn't get it out of her head.

I think it may have been the humming of the air conditioning system. We were on the top floor, and there was possible pipework in the roof? Only a minor point - the family could scracely hear it, but my hearing is quite sensitive even after a few Prides and Cobras.

Purely for research purposes, I ventured down, alone, to the hotel bar once, but it was ghastly. I quickly downed one pint of overpriced Guinness and left. It was the same breakfast / dining room, and was full of stranded, pub-banished familes, folornly watching sport on the many flat screen TVs. No resemblance to a proper "pub" at all.

So, to conclude, what's the Disney connection in the title? This was my one little bit of fun in the whole weekend.......

Shortly after plonking our bags down in the room, we spotted a MOUSE scurrying swiftly across our carpet! I tried to catch it, as it would have made a wonderful trophy to parade through the reception area. But it was far too quick for me, and disappeared under the kids' bed. We lifted up the beds, and the little blacksmith mouse made a bolt for the door. It squeezed under the door and scampered off down the hall.

Phew - what a lucky escape! It nearly finished up in the black plastic mousetrap, located under the kids beds along the back skirting board. Note for budding zoologists - you need a special tool to get into these boxes to find out if you have your own captive room pet.

We laughed about it, but then a big argument ensued 'cos neither child now wanted to sleep on the bed on the carpet!

We shared our Mickey Mouse encounter with a member of Reception staff, almost immediately, on our way out to eat. He shared our mirth, but did seem rather unconcerned. A little feigned sympathy would have been appreciated. He offered us another room - but what's the point of that? Our mouse had already gone - to someone else's room now! I told him it squeezed under the door - he laughed and said, "they have no backbone". Obviously, not a proper Zoologist.

So why do I still give the place 4 stars? 'Cos it's OK. It's what you expect for this kind of place. The location is perfect and the price is OK when you're a family of four.

I work in the tourist trade, and will actually recommend the
Premier Inn for a short stay to my inbound guests if they really must visit London.

On checking out, we mentioned the mouse again (we were not out to make a big fuss, and were not demanding a refund; we're not those kind of people), just because we wanted someone to take the wildlife observation a little more seriously. This time, the English lady took serious note, and it seemed she would take some further action.

Anyway, it was fun. When you visit - take a look under the beds :)

• Liked — The Mouse
  • Disliked — Bland boring rooms, big queue for breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank vtrman
stafford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

very impressed with location, room and overall friendliness of staff. location is excellent as within one minute walk from london eye on south bank. couldn't ask for more. room size considering this is london was really good and thanks to staff for accommodating weary travellers (as we were) coming off the back of an 11-hour ovenight flight and getting to the hotel early by finding us a room. very much appreciated this gesture as arrived at 9am (well before the 2pm check-in time).

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — average breakfast (at best!)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights. First trip to London and had heard all the stories about tiny rooms etc in London hotels. Was really pleasantly surprised to have a lovely spacious room with spotlessly clean bathroom. Comfortable beds and serviced daily. Very quiet and no noise on any of the nights. Breakfast was excellent. Staff were exceptional and about the best we have ever encountered anywhere. So pleasant and always a smile and a greeting (to the point where one ran out into the street after we departed to say goodbye). Nothing was too much trouble. Would definitely stay here again and its a top location too for all the London sights.

• Liked — comfort and staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agr54
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

Had a family room, everything was just as they said, clean comfortable, excellent location right next tot he eye.
Ate in the restaurant Saturday night, lovely food, children ages 8 and 11 ate every scrap. breakfast too was brilliant, and so well priced.
Staff couldnt have been better, nothing too much trouble, all smiling and helpful.
Will be staying there again next year.

Darwin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Several months ago, my husband emailed the Premier Inn to book a room with a 'king size bed'. We were advised that this was available and the booking made. On arrival the only size in the hotel was a double, the hotel states that they guarantee a good nights sleep or your money back. Well, we didnt have a good nights sleep, we both kept falling out of the small double bed, the kid next door cried most the night and we were very disappointed with the hotel. We told customer service on checking out, and instead of the money back guarantee, we were told 'sorry'. I would not recommend this hotel for couples or persons seeking a romantic getaway. Fine if your looking for a cheap room without the normal hotel comforts.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Bed and room size
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family