“Reasonable room, Good Location, however Building work going on.”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #133 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Dover, United Kingdom
“Reasonable room, Good Location, however Building work going on.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Upon arrival, me and my fiancee were greeted by a friendly member of staff, after waiting several minutes that is. Once greeted, we were signed in by the same member of staff. She was very welcoming, and she was knowledgeable. She went through everything, however she forgot to mention that there was building work going on.

Once I had got my key, we went to out room. The room was quite small, but it was well decorated. The temperature controls were easy to use, and came with a TV with a few channels, and came with SOME tea/coffee. However, for the price which I had paid. I would have expected more then ONE cup of tea/coffee per person.

While looking around the room, I found no dust, and everything was well kept. However, I noticed the curtains were drawn as I went in, and then I found why. Scaffolding surrounded the whole window. Also, there were windows which were extremely close which allowed others to look into my room. The only other rant would be a lack of ventilation in the bathroom, which would have been great for what happened later during the night.

After viewing London for a few hours, I returned to my room, and within half an hour, I was Ill, either from a bug, or food poisoning. Which would have been the Subway I had eaten, which is located across the street.. Either way, I would put it down to the bug.

During the night, I was located within the bathroom for most of the night, that is when the vent fan would of come in handy. I don't need to go into much more detail.

After laying around most of the morning, I had been awoken by several things, Recycle bins were just outside of my window, and sadly the day I had stayed were the days they were collected. This was at 7am, which wasn't ideal as I was in a bad state. Just after that, roughly 8-8:30am, building work seemed to get started, general banging of scaffolding.

When I did manage to salvage some time from the bathroom, to lay on the bed. I found it was not very comfortable, it was very soft, of which wasn't supporting of which I am sure many people prefer. The pillows, also were very soft, which was nice, but nice supporting. It just felt like I was sinking constantly into both, bed and pillow. My fiancee also complained that she did not sleep well.

The good thing was The check out time was at Mid day, which allowed to me prepare for the worse, and to salvage enough courage to make my way to the train station, but not before making a complaint.

When making my complaint, I explained my situation to the staff member who was on the front desk at the time. Sadly, she did not seem as concerned about my welfare then helping me change my mind on asking for any sort of refund. She did offer a free breakfast.. on my next stay. Of which, as I don't travel to London often, I didn't feel it would become very useful.

I also explained that neither of us had a good night sleep, and it was stated that I would have been given a refund if that was the case. In this case. It wasn't going to be given due to not making the complaint during the night, or after several hours of being in my room. Of which, I found that completely wrong. Firstly, I wasn't going to make an attempt to get down stairs to have the next hour of being moved around the hotel to find a suitable room. Even if I weren't Ill I wouldn't do this. As it would of still led to not getting a good night sleep. I didn't bother complaining before bed because I was out in London and figured that my night stay would have not been like how it was.

Overall my experience would have been alright, if it weren't for the Illness. However, I would have liked to be told that there was building work going on during the day time, from 8ish to 8. I feel that was poorly handled. All I was told was "It isn't our fault, it isn't our building" and I was still refused any sort of refund but a "free breakfast".
Also, I would suggest having variety of rooms with different mattresses considering not everyone wants a marshmallow bed, nor pillows.. Also well as more tea/coffee.

I hope in future that this hotel does go further with communication on any building work or interference that others may encounter. As well as amend any problems that I, or any other person may encounter.

Room Tip: Ask if any building work is still going on, as well as have a good room which faces onto a road, rat...
1 Thank Shane C
Ed_Pyke, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and review. I apologise that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, all scaffolding and building work associated directly with our building has now been completed and the scaffolding has been removed. I regret that you were ill during your stay and did not have an enjoyable nights sleep, if you could email me directly with your reservation number on operationsmanager.londoncountyhall@whitbread.com then I can look into this matter personally and work to restore your faith in the brand. Thank you for your time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

When factoring in location, functionality, and price paid I would say this is one of the best budget hotels in London. Having stayed twice would definitely stay a 3rd time - it is very central, right next to London Eye and just a bridge crossing away from Trafalgar Square. Waterloo station is right next to it as well.

Great service, spacious and clean rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location to be suitable to your needs. Thank you for your comments about our rooms and our team service. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed her for three nights in August and our room faced onto the rear courtyard which included a loading bay where staff from other properties were shouting and emptying bottles into bins very early in the mornings.
The rooms were also very hot as there was no ventilation other than a restricted window opening and a fan.
Location was excellent but they need more staff on reception to answer queries. When we told the receptionist about the poor night sleep she just apologised. It was only after we checked out that someone told us they should have refunded us under their "guaranteed good night sleep policy".

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that back onto the courtyard at the back of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ed_Pyke, Operations Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and review. Since staying in August, we have worked with our Reception team training them on more aspects of our operation and hired more team members to be able to answer guest queries at peak times. I regret that you felt that your room was too hot. We do try and keep these cool in the summer months by closing curtains, placing extra fans into rooms and opening windows. Please be aware that we can transfer you (if we have room available) to other rooms in the hotel, just ask our reception team or duty manager. The majority of other Premier Inn hotels in central London do feature air conditioning. Thank you once again for your feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Very nice typical premier inn. Very clean, convenient location, few mins walk from Waterloo underground.
Next door to London Eye and Southbank Christmas market.
Had a very good sleep, I love Premier Inn beds they are really comfortable and our room on the 4th floor was very quiet, although no view this did not bother us at all.
Paid for the meal deal which was very good value. Breakfast was still very busy and this was at 9.45 however staff were very good refilling food items and clearing things away.
Would return to this premier inn.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Bh122
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. Thank you for your feedback about our breakfast, its great to know that despite being busy you felt looked after. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

When booked in advance this Premier Inn is fantastic value for money when visiting or working in central London. Located right on the River Thames next to the London Eye, just across from the Houses of Parliament, you can explore all of London from this convenient base.

We were visiting London for a mini-break as a family and stayed in a family room. The room was clean, modern and sufficiently spacious for two adults and two young children. We ate dinner and breakfast in the hotel's restaurant and were very pleased with both meals. We paid £80 for the room (a Sunday night) and the standard £17.90 for breakfast for the whole family.

On booking the room we were warned that there was construction work taking place nearby. As we were staying on a weekend the construction work had stopped and so was not an issue. However there were pre-Christmas activities taking place along the bank of the River Thames - an ice-skating rink below our window and a 'German' market/fun-fair throughout the evening. We were on the fifth floor - with the double glazing and curtains none of this caused us any disturbance but was full of activities for us to visit with our children.

The staff in the hotel were all particularly friendly, welcoming and helpful - I really would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit central London for some sightseeing.

Room Tip: None of the rooms overlook the River Thames but you can ask for a room with a view of Jubilee Garden...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HJS2012
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our bedrooms to be clean and comfortable and our team to be friendly and helpful. I am pleased that you had two enjoyable meals in our restaurant coupled with our great value breakfasts. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Located alongside the Thames and only a 5 minute walk across a bridge to Westminster station, this is an ideally located hotel. We have stayed here many times. The hotel has undergone refurbishment and is looking very modern and squeaky clean. The staff are even better trained than they were - very friendly and knowledgeable. The room was very comfortable- the beds here are of excellent quality. The bathroom is clean and functional nothing to get excited about and no complaints. The breakfast is a good quality selection, and the hot food is actually hot at all times. Eat early if you want to avoid queuing. I would give the dinner a miss. Book your room early, particularly if you need a family room as these are good value and sell out quickly. The hotel has no air conditioning so I tend to use this hotel in the months when it is not likely to be hot weather. There are steps from the street to the reception bear this in mind if you have mobility issues - there is a bell and a sign saying staff will assist.

Room Tip: Book very early if you need a family room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our hotel to be clean and comfortable with friendly and helpful team members. Although our rooms can be warm in the summer months we do supply fans and keep the curtains closed to maintain as cool a temperature as possible. We also have Premier Inns located nearby which do feature air conditioning. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

Excellent Location. Really easy booking and checking in . Really lovely breakfast in a comfortable room.clean and comfortable bedroom and bathroom. Very friendly staff even the chambermaid was pleasant and friendly. Secure luggage room

Room Tip: Best to try to get a room on the outside of the building
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our team to be friendly and helpful and our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.