“Awesome value”

Ranked #460 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Hong kong
“Awesome value”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed three weeks mainly in the Youth Wing but sometimes in the Hotel as I'd just moved to London and was trying to find permanent accommodation. Since I hadn't found any thing suitable and my booking was running out, i asked if they could find room for me for another week or so. The staff were great they went out of their way to help and managed to find room, although i had to swap a few times form YW to the hotel. Both the Hotel and Youth Wing accommodation is excellent value for money, clean, comfortable and with free breakfast which was plentiful and tasty..high recommend this place...Such a top location, right near Hyde Park, Paddington station,

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building are a lot quieter, there's no double glazing and Craven Terren...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Virtue F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We (2 adults and 1 child) stayed here for 3 nights. There rooms are clean with a wall-mounted t.v. They have 2 single beds normally but we requested an extra bed for our daughter (8). This was our only quibble - the rooms are not designed to take an extra bed and as a result her bed ran at right angles to the bottom of my bed and the room was very cramped as a result. However, this was not enough of an issue for us to complain at the time or for us not to re-visit in the future. We use our hotel room as a place to sleep after a whole day of activities, so it didn't impact on us that much; other people might have found it difficult though. The bathroom was very clean with plenty of hot water at peak times. The breakfast is a cold continental buffet; there are many Germans, Dutch and other Europeans who use this hotel and the breakfast reflects this. There was typically 3 cold meats, 3 cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, croissants, buns, a toast machine, two juices, tea, coffee, 3 cereals and either fruit or yoghurt. The only niggle with the breakfast is that my daughter really liked the yoghurt she had on the first day, but it never returned and was replaced by grapefruit and bananas. I think given the choice in the savoury end there could be yoghurt AND fruit, but yet again this is a minor personal preference. Fantastic location for Tube and buses - we used the bus most days as is cheaper than Tube and got us to the far end of Oxford St. in 10-15 minutes. Will book again next time we visit London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RuthBrady
Scotland
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This continues to offer some of the best valued accommodation in central London. While the breakfast buffet does not change much, it is still ideal for providing fuel to cope with the English capital. Staff are helpful and friendly. Many have been there for several years. Very convenient location. Rooms at the back are quieter.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RaibeartAlba
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my third stay at this Hotel which is convenient to both the high speed train to Heathrow at Paddington Station and the tube from anywhere else at Lancaster Gate. This Hotel is what it is...
At 99pounds (US$155) for a double its not cheap but compared to other regular Hotels its a good price for expensive London...figure everything in London will cost you twice as much as in the US and its a good rule of thumb...save up dont whine, its worth it...!!
Another tip for London....dont take any bag with you that you cant carry up at least 12 to 15 stairs as if you use public transport to avoid traffic you WILL have to carry your bag at some point.
So my general rating for Lancaster Hall is high....BUT and this is a new BUT as times have changed since my last visit...
They do not have good or even reasonable internet access.....they have a computer in the lobby for a fee and refer you to an outside service which is SO bad it defies description.
The upside is every coffee shop in London seems to have FREE high speed Internet although we plan our next day at night in our room so we miss having the Hotel provide responsible service in house. Decent fast free internet that is simple to sign on and leaves you signed in is the Gold Standard and in the whole of Scandinavia, Denmark and Amsterdam that is what we had but Brussels NH Hotel and Lancaster fell far short of the current accepted standard..
We hope Lancaster takes this to heart as I have a Five Star waiting for them next time...

Room Tip: We barely stay in the room so any WITH good internet access is great...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arno1
Jerusalem
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place is a gem. This was my second stay there - the rooms are not as tiny as happens in London sometimes, and very clean. Continental breakfast is quite sufficient, and locations is great - just a few minutes away from Lancaster Gate tube and Hyde Park. The beds are ok, and it was quiet during the night - I ask for nothing more. There's also coffee/tea and tv in the rooms. Closet space is sparse, but I don't know many hotels in London (definitely for this price!) where it isn't so. Definitely best value for money in London!

Room Tip: Note this review refers to regular rooms, not youth wing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Annabelle_Leanne
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2013

First I must say the location is good and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Here's the big BUT this is really a very basic hotel the beds a a bit broken down - you can actually see the curve in the center. you can hear everything though the walls. Rooms are small, bath is small and for me the price of a better room is very worth it. We moved after 1 day even thought I received no refund - this was a special trip for me and my daughter and I just couldn't do it. Especially when I use my ipad for planning out my days and the wi-fi I paid an extra $10 pounds for stopped every 2-3 minutes and I had to log on again and could only use it on one device.

If you aren't expecting much this may work for you but I really can't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Lilylulu95
Iowa
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Location, Cleanliness, Efficiency of Staff, Breakfast, and Price - I don't think there's any place in London that can beat the Lancaster Hall Hotel!

Near Paddington Station for access to Heathrow and the District, Circle, Hammersmith and Bakerloo lines, plus close to Lancaster Gate Tube Station for close access to the Central line, as well as just a block and a half north of Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens - there's no better location for visiting London.

Although sort minimalist, the rooms are absolutely neat and clean. They are a lot more cheery than many of the older rooms in other locations in the Bayswater area, and you get elevators which many times is not the case with the older lodging establishments. Yes, interestingly, the beds are on wheels, and are single and sort of small, but very comfortable. Some folks have talked about street noise of rooms on front side of the hotel, but our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking Craven Terrace, and we really had few issues with much noise since this is not a highly traveled street. In fact this would be my preference (the higher the better of course) for the view of the activity of the street - plus we loved that the window actually opened so you could let in the fresh air.

We found the staff to be efficiently helpful and friendly - In fact one time when we walked into the lobby the desk clerk already had our key out to hand to us - she had observed us walking down the street and remembered our room number before we even asked for the key.

The continental breakfast bar was well done with a decent selection of tasty and well presented items. The staff there were without a doubt the most hard working and conscientious I've ever observed in a hotel. Tables were cleaned immediately, food trays were continually freshened, and the coffee pots kept hot and filled. This was done with a dining room that was generally busy with many guests. In addition, there is a simple little lounge/bar area open in the evenings with reasonably prices.

I have never found any better price for a comparable London room with the level of location, quality, and service found at the Lancaster Hall. We had walked past this place for years on the way to one of our favorite pubs down the street. Mistakenly I had always assumed it was only a hostel type youth facility, but I was wrong. It includes hotel rooms and is very popular with lots of tourists - I'm sure because of the excellent value.

We will return.

Room Tip: the higher floors better if on the front side for less noise, but with a street view - the rooms on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple