“Our automatic booking for London”

and 1 more site!
Lancaster Hall Hotel
Ranked #464 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Canberra, Australia
“Our automatic booking for London”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We have stayed at Lancaster Hall on three separate occasions, most recently October 2011, and will stay there again on our next visit to London. This hotel is all positives and no negatives worth recording. Here are some of the positives. A reasonable tariff. Very polite and helpful staff especially for online booking and at check in. A perfectly adequate light breakfast. Light and bright surroundings. A good size lift. Clean and comfortable rooms. Great location.
As far as location goes, Lancaster Hall is a short walk from Paddington Station which in turn is a major arrival point from Heathrow. Lancaster Gate tube on the Central Line is just down the road while walking back to Paddington Station gets you onto the Circle, District and Bakerloo lines (among others) and those four lines will get you to most visitor destinations in London. While the hotel's breakfast is fine, if you want something more substantial (or some sandwiches to take away) head for Shiela's on the corner. And The Mitre pub opposite has a good selection of food and drinks. An easy stroll down Bayswater Road brings you to the Queensway restaurants and for a pleasant stroll in the park, Kensington Gardens is across Bayswater Road: in fact it is not that far (25 minutes) to walk through the park to the V&A and Knightsbridge. There are several other hotels nearby if you arrive without a reservation and the hotel is booked out. The hotel seems very popular with younger people, which adds to the light and bright atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Close to a very nice park and transport. Rooms clean. Helpful and friendly staff. Quality all round. Plenty of shops and restaurants close by as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Spookarama
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Staff were polite and helpful but we felt as though we were staying in a youth hostel. Other guests were inconsiderate at night time, coming home late and making a lot of noise each night we were there. Breakfast is very basic with slender offerings for people with food allergies/intolerances. Take your own tea bags.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jonkoping, Sweden
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I think this might be the best hotel to stay in with regards to the price and what you get for it. There are perhaps no extras to write home about either. I also love the price structure of not having a price structure, meaning the price is always the same (to the best of my knowledge).

First of all, this building was built as a hotel from the beginning, which is rare to find at its price. I say that as a solely positive thing since it means larger rooms (for London and the price range, anyway) and toilet with bath tub. Nice symmetric rooms with twin beds means extra space for us single travellers. There is also kettle to boil water for instant coffee or tea in the room. Sure, I would have loved to have a small refrigerator too, but for the price of the room that is too much to ask for. The lift felt very new and modern - a lot better than the narrow staircases of some other (converted) hotels I've stayed in.

However, I do hold them responsible for not getting a wifi signal at all in my room that was the second to last in the corridor, but still. I wasn't bothered since I bought a 3G-simcard from Three with 1 GB traffic during 30 days for £11. But I really think that a hotel needs to have fully working wifi to get the highest rating. If I've asked, I might have gotten a room with better wifi coverage. Also note that even with a signal, the wifi would have cost me an unknown amount (not free).

The staff is the best. Always smiling and very helpful. It was no problem printing out tickets that I forwarded as pdf in a mail to their e-mail address. I usually complain when hotels don't have key card locks, and make you turn in the giant key whenever you leave and make you ask for it when entering again, but in this case it was actually a treat to be "forced" to interact with the reception on every entry and get the key.

The only other problem I found was that the beds were a bit too soft, but certainly not the worse I've had. Also, one of the beds had wheels on it. A bit weird, but I guess to make them easier to put together. However the wheels made that bed too easy to move. I doubt that I would have been able to get out of it without pushing it away at the same time.

The breakfast was nice. Nothing extra, but really nothing big missing either. Rolls with big slices of ham or cheese is available. Boiled eggs. Apple and orange juice. Croissants. Cereals and milk. And some days a small bowl of sliced oranges and grape fruits. You pour your own coffee and make your own toast. Do note that the hotel has some sort of affiliation with the German YMCA next door, so there will be a lot of youngsters at least in the breakfast room but I like that better then stuck-up-suits, if you know what I mean.

I guess they can keep a little bit better prices since they don't seem to be affiliated with any larger booking sites (no commissions). You have to book by filling out a form and waiting for e-mails to confirm. I find this a bit cumbersome if you are flexible regarding your dates of stay, but not a big problem.

I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room with good wifi reception when checking in, if that is important to you
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank mikeplate
Manchester
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed in a twin room with a cot bed for our 13 month old, the other reviews of this hotel are spot on with the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff. I almost thought that I was on the continent with the European feel of the hotel.
The continental breakfast (7:30 - 9:30) was very good and set you up for a busy day. High chairs available so very suitable for those with children.
The location close to local transportation links is excellent and it is also within a 3 minutes walk of Hyde park. Local shops selling groceries were useful for pick-nicks and all manner of 'baby products'.
I would defiantly stay at this hotel again! RECOMMENDED

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard B
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed in a twin room for 5 nights at the Lancaster hall hotel. I really loved this hotel, it was not the thypical "english" hotel. It has more of a european feel to it.

Positive: It is clean, big elevator, real frieandly staff. Good breakfast. Big spacious room, clean toilet with a bathtub.
Negative: It really didnt have that many negative sides to it, if I need to list something it would perhaps be that the beds stood on wheels, so it was a little bit hard to turn without the bed moving.

I would really recomend this hotel. many + + + + + + + +

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank anno0406
Egypt
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel was the best in my opinion, I was in London in 2010, stayed in Rhodes hotel which was very nice hotel too, but had no elevators and room was very tiny. This year, Lancaster Hall hotel was more relaxing, it has elevator, a very big breakfast hall, very nice breakfast, location is central, 5 minutes walking to Lancaster gate underground. Staff is very helpful, the hotel is managed by the YMCA Germany. I loved it.. we stayed for 12 nights bb in double room with only 1044gbp, all rooms having tea and coffee facility.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple