“What a lovely experience!”
Review of La Gaffe

La Gaffe
Ranked #453 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“What a lovely experience!”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

From the moment I arrived, I can not fault this lovely establishment. Clean, friendly, and lovely atmosphere, so rarely found these days. I was even called by my 1st name! Great value for a special place......., oozing with charm! Nothing was too much trouble and the restaurant was well priced and the food was really yummy... still dreaming about the minestrone soup lol!! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Hampstead, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I have stayed at the hotel for over 6 months due to business re-location, the hotel suited my requirements perfectly with its warmth and charm, the owners and staff where wonderful nothing was a problem!
La Gaffe has its own personal charm, its in Hampstead village and has a little village feel, everyone talks to each other, which being in London makes a pleasent change.
i would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for something different, its not your standard group hotel, its a private family business, and has all the charm to go with it!
The food is good and the Bar has a great crowd in the evenings, its a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are less noisy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Stoke on Trent
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My daughter and myself have just had a 2 night stay here. I wouldn't rate this hotel at all. The floor had not been cleaned, you could see mud stains on the floor. There were hairs on the top blanket on the bed. The nets and curtains hadn't been washed for some time. They looked and felt grimy. The mattress was very old and extremely uncomfortable. There were stains on the base by the feet. The whole place is very dark and tired looking. The breakfast was continental. I had a couple of hard boiled eggs which had obviously been left for too long, they had the green ring around the yolk. The breakfast was extremely basic. The kettle in the room needed wiping, it had scum stains all around it, cheap little plastic spoons to stir the tea, which break! The whole place needs updating. i won't be stopping there again, will stop in the Premier Inn further down the road.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank xJackiex
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If You want a laid back and rustic place to stay, with a charming italian restaurant who serves great food in the same building, this is the place for You. Clean rooms and friendly staff. Good value for the money. The hotel is located just a short walk from Hampstead tube and Hampstead Heath. The best of both worlds. 10-12 min by the tube to central London and 4 minutes walk to birdsong and recreation in the lovely forests of the Heath. I`ll stay here for my next trip to London.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Myself and my friend are students and we stayed here for two nights recently whilst on a trip to London. The host, Lorenzo, was absolutely lovely and very accommodating. The room itself was average but for the price and location, you can't go wrong. The shower was nice and warm and our towels were changed and our beds were made the next day which wasn't expected but very much appreciated!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Ok...so I was "lost in London"..no bed for the night. Needed to stay in Hampstead (or thereabouts)..knew I wanted a place where I felt relatively safe (as a woman travelling alone) and also in a neighbourhood which would afford places of interest the next day. I found La Gaffe..and La Gaffe found me! Lorenzo was friendly and helpful on the phone.. they'd had a cancellation and the room was secured - phew!. I arrived was very warmly welcomed, Lorenzo helped me to my room...yes it was up some narrow stairs ...yes, the room is cozy, clean and functional...but interesting art work on the walls and a lovely restaurant downstairs. So convenient! Loved having a mooch about in Hampstead in the morning. Loved being so close to the centre (but far away from the madding crowds)...loved being able to afford a taxi from the gig in Borehamwood to the hotel. Lovely food...good conversation with fellow guests. I had the best time and for the same price as budget hotel chains ...a far superior experience. A little gem...Thank you

Room Tip: Ask for larger towels if you want them...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LadyBarraclough
pound ridge ny
Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband & I & my sister (from Chicago/USA) have just returned from a fabulous stay in London where we were guests at La Gaffe In Hampstead for 10 days. All the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Our rooms were small, but clean and bathroom was large with heated towel rack! We had the family "suite", & my sister stayed in the small room ajoining the main bedroom. We all enjoyed a lesiurely breakfast every morning and had several lovely dinners as well. Cheers to the chef! Hampstead is such a nice area, and the short walk to the underground was a real plus. We were able to do lots of sightseeing. We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Our suite was up a narrow flight of stairs. Although we are all in our 70's we made it but next...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family