All reviewsroyal opera housecovent gardenno liftdrury lanesplit levelgreat locationsmall hotelsingle roomnarrow stairslovely little hotela ground floor roomtheatre landbottled waterleicester squarewest endlady on receptionjust round the corner
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I booked a twin room for a post-23rd birthday getaway with my twin sister. The minute we arrived I knew this charming little hotel was the right place for us to chill out and enjoy the pleasures and culture of Covent Garden! It really is, and I'd count it one of the said pleasures too!

Our room was LUSH. The minute my sister put her head round the door the first thing she said was "Oh it's LOVELY! It's lovely!". She was so pleased! Her and me both!

We had comfortable beds with a HUGE LCD television, a snug and elegant "study" area and a simple, but spotless bathroom. We truly enjoyed lounging around and sprucing up before heading out for dinner and an evening watching the magnificent 'Warhorse'. The New London Theatre is literally 5 minutes away, so the Fielding is perfect for anyone going to see this fantastic play! Not only that but Covent Garden is right outside the front door. You'll be spoilt for choice on places to eat and drink and shop!

Because the Fielding isn't a B&B you won't get breakfast here, so let me recommend NOTES, a barista coffee shop just down the road and opposite the Film Museum. My sister and I had almond croissants and chocolate + banana muffins TO DIE FOR, and some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. If you're stuck for dinner don't miss out on WILDWOODS restaurant and grill, which is literally opposite the Royal Opera House. You'd be a fool to pass them by!

More on the Fielding itself: extra-generous freebies, including toothpaste and slippers; FOUR lovely fresh white bathsheets; full length mirrors, perfect for checking yourself over before heading out! The only thing we found a little irritating was the fan in our room, as it made quite a bit of noise, but it didn't wake us up-so I'm not complaining!

We didn't see much of the staff because we spent most of our time exploring Covent Garden, but when we did encounter people at reception they were lovely, smiley, social and polite. Courteous and friendly staff are a blessing anywhere you go!

I paid £168 for one night in the twin room. Normally I wouldn't pay this much for one night's stay in a hotel, but since this hotel is in such a superior location and it's lightyears from Travelodge I was happy to pay this amount just for this one special occassion. I would definitely come again!

All in all the Fielding rocks! Thanks everyone at the Fielding for a lovely stay! It made our little trip to London perfect! Molly & Izzi from Gloucestershire X

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Molly Olivia B
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you so much for this totally charming review! There is so much good information for any future guests as well and we are really pleased you had such a great time in Covent Garden and with us too.

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Just spent 2 nights in this beautiful little hotel right in the heart of Covent Garden. I stay in London regularly and I must say that this is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. It's Boutique in style so the rooms are not enormous, but who wants to stay on their room anyway. The decor and attention to detail is great with little extras that really do make a difference. From the moment you step in you are treated to a very attentive customer experience. (I think the lady on reception was called Grace , she was lovely) We were recommended a cafe around the corner for breakfast, it was lovely and very reasonable. All in all a lovely stay and I will definitely return. Thank You !!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank auntys05

We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and and also Wings wonderful breakfasts! We look forward to welcoming you back next time you have occasion to come to London. Many thanks for your lovely comments.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a lovely and friendly hotel. It has the perfect location, so close to the little ballerina statue opposite the Royal Opera House.

My room was a double for single occupancy and therefore a bit pricier than I usually look for. But it was distinctive and special and I had a wonderful stay. I was going to a marvellous gala at the Royal Festival Hall - easily and safely accessible - and everything fell into place perfectly.

The rooms are stylish and full of character. Don't expect standard and streamlined modern (you can find plenty of boring hotels). The shower was super and a real old-style bathroom reminded me of ones I'd stayed in when visiting family. Lovely toiletries and slippers with the name embroidered. Nice little touches.

Such a comfy bed and I ws on the ground floor.
Free wifi. (I had a temporary problem the first day and they offered to reboot. After that it seemed fast and effective)

Great choice of eating places but I went to the recommended one for breakfast. Just right and equally friendly and meticulous.

Will I return? I hope so. As I travel frequently, price is a factor, but we all need a spot of sheer luxury from time to time.

Thank you.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review and we're delighted you had a good stay with us.....it's always nice to hear!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was my first trip to London. Like any other trips, I did quite a bit of homework on my lodging options based on a few key criteria: clean and decent size room at a convenient location which gives the most value for the buck. This may be relative to different travelers but personally, I was not disappointed with this choice that I have made. Thanks to Grace, I was given one of the bigger rooms facing the rear on the top floor, notwithstanding that i had to carry my heavy luggage up the narrow flight of stairs.

I am most happy with its superb location. I was able to return to the hotel to take a well deserved breather each day after I was done with my day itinerary before I head out to the theatres in the evening. It took me about 25 mins to walk to the Picadilly to catch the Ghost musical. Fact of the matter is, i thought i had my itieniary planed out well to take advantage of the hotel location which resulted in minimal time wasted.

However, the size of the room was smaller than I expected but it was compensated with a comfy bed and a well kept/clean room + bathroom. That said, I have stayed in an even smaller cramped room in Tokyo couple years back.

The only complaint I have was that I realized after the fact (when i was checking out) that i was charged £1.95 for a map which I wasn't told of when i picked one up (either from the counter or the rack on the wall). Otherwise, if you are traveling on a budget, I would recommend considering The Fielding as an option.

Room Tip: Try picking a room at the top floor to avoid noises from the neighbors staying above your room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and I'm glad our location helped you to make the most of your time in London. We apologise for the mix up with the £1.95 map, it does have the price on it and it states on the holder it is for sale and the proceeds go to The Salvation Army. We would have refunded at checkout if you had mentioned you were unhappy or wanted to return it instead. We hope this did not spoil your stay.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I'd like to think Henry and John Fielding would be pleased with the hotel graced by their historic Covent Garden name. The location's ideal for London travel - close to the Tube, the ubiquitous London taxis everywhere, in the midst of an urban neighborhood where you can meet all your practical needs (food, shopping, laundromat). We were worried about the lack of a hotel restaurant (I need my breakfast!) but found the problem easily solved within a very short walk. The neighborhood can be boisterous in the evenings, but the hotel itself was quiet. The hotel is well managed by a cheerful, helpful and knowledgeable staff (ask Grace about the Bow Street Runners).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for this charming review and all the info that will be very helpful to readers.......glad you enjoyed Covent Garden history too!