All reviewsroyal opera housecovent gardenno liftdrury lanesplit levelgreat locationsmall hotelsingle roomnarrow stairslovely little hotela ground floor roomtheatre landbottled waterleicester squarewest endlady on receptionjust round the corner
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a lovely and friendly hotel. It has the perfect location, so close to the little ballerina statue opposite the Royal Opera House.

My room was a double for single occupancy and therefore a bit pricier than I usually look for. But it was distinctive and special and I had a wonderful stay. I was going to a marvellous gala at the Royal Festival Hall - easily and safely accessible - and everything fell into place perfectly.

The rooms are stylish and full of character. Don't expect standard and streamlined modern (you can find plenty of boring hotels). The shower was super and a real old-style bathroom reminded me of ones I'd stayed in when visiting family. Lovely toiletries and slippers with the name embroidered. Nice little touches.

Such a comfy bed and I ws on the ground floor.
Free wifi. (I had a temporary problem the first day and they offered to reboot. After that it seemed fast and effective)

Great choice of eating places but I went to the recommended one for breakfast. Just right and equally friendly and meticulous.

Will I return? I hope so. As I travel frequently, price is a factor, but we all need a spot of sheer luxury from time to time.

Thank you.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Anne S
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review and we're delighted you had a good stay with us.....it's always nice to hear!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was my first trip to London. Like any other trips, I did quite a bit of homework on my lodging options based on a few key criteria: clean and decent size room at a convenient location which gives the most value for the buck. This may be relative to different travelers but personally, I was not disappointed with this choice that I have made. Thanks to Grace, I was given one of the bigger rooms facing the rear on the top floor, notwithstanding that i had to carry my heavy luggage up the narrow flight of stairs.

I am most happy with its superb location. I was able to return to the hotel to take a well deserved breather each day after I was done with my day itinerary before I head out to the theatres in the evening. It took me about 25 mins to walk to the Picadilly to catch the Ghost musical. Fact of the matter is, i thought i had my itieniary planed out well to take advantage of the hotel location which resulted in minimal time wasted.

However, the size of the room was smaller than I expected but it was compensated with a comfy bed and a well kept/clean room + bathroom. That said, I have stayed in an even smaller cramped room in Tokyo couple years back.

The only complaint I have was that I realized after the fact (when i was checking out) that i was charged £1.95 for a map which I wasn't told of when i picked one up (either from the counter or the rack on the wall). Otherwise, if you are traveling on a budget, I would recommend considering The Fielding as an option.

Room Tip: Try picking a room at the top floor to avoid noises from the neighbors staying above your room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and I'm glad our location helped you to make the most of your time in London. We apologise for the mix up with the £1.95 map, it does have the price on it and it states on the holder it is for sale and the proceeds go to The Salvation Army. We would have refunded at checkout if you had mentioned you were unhappy or wanted to return it instead. We hope this did not spoil your stay.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I'd like to think Henry and John Fielding would be pleased with the hotel graced by their historic Covent Garden name. The location's ideal for London travel - close to the Tube, the ubiquitous London taxis everywhere, in the midst of an urban neighborhood where you can meet all your practical needs (food, shopping, laundromat). We were worried about the lack of a hotel restaurant (I need my breakfast!) but found the problem easily solved within a very short walk. The neighborhood can be boisterous in the evenings, but the hotel itself was quiet. The hotel is well managed by a cheerful, helpful and knowledgeable staff (ask Grace about the Bow Street Runners).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you so much for this charming review and all the info that will be very helpful to readers.......glad you enjoyed Covent Garden history too!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Looking at the reviews for this hotel I must believe that there are huge differences between various types of rooms. My room was certainly mediocre, small in size and badly maintained (plenty of burnt lightbulbs and non functioning plugs), not to mention that it was at the 3rd floor without elevator. The service was either indifferent or unprofessional, as they for instance completely forgot my wake up call and only called me 45 minutes later pretending that it was only a minor delay! For the rest, the position is good and the street, being a pedestrian area isn't too noisy. All in all I don't think I'm going to stay there anymore, there's plenty of other nice hotels in the area.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Vincenzo C
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

After looking into these comments we can find no trace or evidence from staff or records kept that this is a genuine review.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in June and were pleased with our choice of hotel. It was Jubilee weekend so hotels were generally busy - I think we got the last available room. The location is great, we walked to the theatre on Saturday then down to the river on Sunday for the Jubilee pageant. We found the pedestrianised location quiet and pleasant. There are no breakfast facilities, but there are plenty of eating places in the area, so it's not a problem. The only disadvantage is that there is no lift, so cases have to be carried up the stairs - and we were near the top. There is no fire escape either, but the manageress assured us that fire precautions were in place. Would we return to this hotel? Yes definitely.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and we are happy to hear you would choose to return. I hope you were offered help with your cases and if not then we appologise as all staff are briefed to do this as we appreciate stairs can be hard work with luggage! A lower floor can be requested if you contact us directly and we will be happy to help. With regard to the fire precautions, we have a state of the art fire alarm that will pinpoint exactly any source of heat or smoke allowing instant identification and there is a fire escape on the ground floor at the rear of the building. The doors for all rooms and corridors are built to withstand 3 hours of fire and the Fire Service will be in attendance within minutes. The Fielding is well protected.