“Awesome, family atmosphere in the centre of London”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alhambra Hotel

Alhambra Hotel
Ranked #249 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Awesome, family atmosphere in the centre of London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

This place was amazing, after staying in Europe in hostels and then the Royal national down the road this place was like heaven. Full english breakfast included and close to the tube, just a nice family atmosphere it didnt feel much like a hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SarahM1990

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
BLACKWELL, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

My experience surpassed expectations. This hotel was the perfect setting for my few brief hours in London, as I rested in between a journey from Pitlochry to King’s Cross and my next travel from Euston to Birmingham International. I had a meeting set in St Pancras Station, I visited the British Library and explored the environs of Queen Alexandra Mansions in adjacent Judd Street, in the course of my studies of the artist, Dorothy Woollard! All these places were in the close orbit of the Alhambra Hotel.

The hotel is exceptionally clean and remarkably well maintained. It is brightly lit and I sense that it is decorated daily! The inner courtyard as seen from my room, number 22, was wonderfully tidy. To see a communal area in such condition surprised and delighted me. There is obviously a joint purpose among the owners and occupiers of these twenty or so properties to maintain good standards. I sense also that the local Fire Officer may have persuasive powers in this aim. The young staff are polite and friendly, without being intrusive. My breakfast in the superb basement refectory was very enjoyable. I noted, in my former life as an Environmental Health Officer, that the food hygiene and safety rating for the food premises was five stars out of five. In other words excellent! I chose a room without en suite facilities but the ones I shared were stunning in their simplicity, decorative order and function. There are en suite rooms available and the increased cost is very reasonable.
There is no lift so hauling heavy cases up to the second or third floors will be demanding for less able and less fit persons. The corridors and staircases are narrow.

This is a lovely and charming family run hotel! It looks good from the outside on Argyle Street and it does not disappoint when you step inside. I had my best sleep ever in London, considering the action packed area of King's Cross. I also slept with my window open! There was a beautiful selection of tiny hand made biscuits on the counter at reception, for all guests to sample. This little act means a lot to the guest and traveller.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ROY D
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I had a one night mid-week stay in this B&B. The location is excellent, only 2minutes from St Pancras and Kings Cross stations, and only a 5min stroll to Euston station. There are excellent tube and bus connections only 2mins walk away. Despite the very busy Euston Road being nearby, I slept soundly. The hotel is clean and bright and the staff were friendly and efficient. My room was very clean, the décor was fresh, and had ample space with a small double bed and reasonable wardrobe space. The room also had a safe, TV, and a good standard of tea/coffee. The shared toilet/shower facilities were clean, and the shower was especially good. Breakfast was served hot, quickly, and it was to a good standard - although I would expect a vegetarian breakfast to consist of more than beans and mushrooms! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I had Room 29 on the third floor. The climb to the third floor with luggage was moderately taxing. T...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank RoseThistleLady
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for a business trip to London. Location is great for transport links, being literally on the other side of the road to King Cross/ St. Pancras stations. Check in was friendly. My room was quite small, which I expected, but had recently been refurbished by the look of it. Bed was very comfortable and everything was clean. Bathroom was about as small as you can get, but still useable.

Just one bit of feedback for the management. As your room numbers seem to be quite randomly located better signage of what rooms are on what floor would be useful for guests.

Overall though no complaints, I thought the hotel was great value for money (for London).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DunxR
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I booked the Alhambra to attend some training in Euston and was looking for something comparatively cheap and clean but with no frills. The Alhambra had breakfast and wi-fi included in the room rate and was still significantly cheaper than the local branches of the usual chain hotels.

My room (number 7, a single at the front, bring earplugs) was small but clean with a good bed, LCD TV, tea and coffee making things, a hairdryer and a tiny, tiled bathroom. The shower was fine and the extractor fan was ferocious. There was a small step up into the bathroom to catch the sleepy night visitor unawares. The big window, next to the bed, was single glazed so let in a bit of cold and noise but the heavy curtains blocked out most things. The room had a wardrobe and a bedside cupboard, a small desk and several mirrors, adjustable overhead lights and separate desk and bed lights.

Breakfast was good - full English, real coffee, juice from concentrate and a second round of toast was offered to go with the generous supplies of butter, jam, marmalade and Nutella. One note of caution - the notice in the room and advice from reception was that weekend breakfast was served until 9.30 (9 on weekdays). This is not true as a couple behind me found out at 9.20. Last orders at the weekend have to be made by 9.15 or you're out of luck. Check out is at 11 as advertised and the hotel will keep your bags for you on check out day if you take them down to the basement breakfast room.

The hotel is amazingly well placed for anyone getting off the Eurostar or mainline trains to King's Cross as they're at the end of the road. It is only a few stops from Victoria and a few minutes walk from Euston so couldn't be better placed for transport links.

All in all, very good value for money if you're looking for somewhere to just sleep and from which to explore London.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Eugénie K
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was at the hotel with 2 other friends from 23 to 25 Nov. My room number was 25. We enjoyed the stay at the hotel.

The front office staff was helpful, especially Mr Danzmann. We are 3 ladies from Singapore and had heavy luggages. He helped us to carry the luggages on both days when we checked in and out.

The staff who cooked the breakfast was very nice too and attended to our needs well. It was a shame that we only had it one morning due to the early schedules we had for other mornings.

The room and bathroom were clean. The room's heating was working well and "saved" us from suffering from the cold which we are not used to as we come from a tropical country.

The only complain would be that there is no lift and we had difficulty carrying the luggages. However, we understand from Mr Danzmann that lifts are not permitted as the hotel is under the conservation act.

Tourists from overseas to be aware that you have to pay cash if you don't want to pay the 2% charge for credit card payment.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Tcs40
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Myself with my family (wife & daughter) stayed in this hotel from July 20 to July 23, 2013. First of all I want to mention why I choose this hotel in London. Location of this hotel is very near to St. Pancras International Rail Station. It is only around 150 meter away from gate of the station. So, we can avail train easily to go anywhere in Europe. In addition to that from King Cross St. Pancras Station (just beside international station) London Underground rail for Heathrow Airport is available (Picadilly line). It takes around one hour to reach Heathrow Airport. In addition to that few underground rail routes are connecting this station, so, anyone can visit many places of London by availing London Underground from this station. Actually in our three days visit in London, we travelled by London Underground only to explore the city. We paid !40 pound each day for this hotel, though this is costlier than average North American hotels, but, it is cheaper than most of the hotels available in London. This hotel is situated in a narrow street as a result not much city view is available from window of the room. But, plus point is that you can avoid noise of busy streets.
This hotel has no elevator and stair is also narrow just like residential stair. Size of the room is just enough for three beds and as well as some space for movement. Attached toilet have wash basin, commode and small covered place for shower (instead of bath tub which we generally get in North American hotels). Main disadvantage we faced during stay, that room was not air conditioned (only heating system is available for winter). London was very hot in July 2013; as a result it was difficult to stay inside this room. However, after requesting at front desk, they provided a table fan, which gave us some relief.
It seemed to me that this hotel is run by a family and family members manage most of the day to day job of this hotel. They are very helpful. They provide free breakfast which they called as English breakfast. They cooked and served breakfast to the table of the guests (not buffet style). Quality of breakfast is better than many other hotels.
Though experience of this hotel was not very satisfactory for us, still we may consider this hotel for our future trip in London. Because, most of the affordable hotels in London are not exceeding this standard (as I experienced by searching web sites), in addition to that location, staffs and breakfast quality were good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family