“Nice hotel for 1 night in London”
Review of Alhambra Hotel

Alhambra Hotel
Ranked #254 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Nice hotel for 1 night in London”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very good location: just outside of St-Pancrac. This is very handy for Eurostar travelers.
Really nice personnel. There is a Wi-Fi there, but it works sometimes VERY slowly.
Rooms with just basic services, but clean.
Not sure whether it is warm inside during the winter.
The only advice: don't book it at Agoda!!! They charge way too much for this, in essence, hostel.

3 Thank Boris T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night earlier this week and would recommend it for its great value for price. The location near St. Pancras International Station was the main reason we booked it as we came to London with the Eurostar: it's a 2 minute walk from the station, very easy to find and there are many underground lines nearby. You can leave your luggage at the hotel upon arrival even if your room isn't ready (they will put your things in your room once it is available) and leave your stuff in the breakfast room after checking out to take them at the last minute before your Eurostar return trip.
The staff was very friendly overall. We had a 3% additional fee when paying because of the card we used, but we had been warned about that from the start. The staff lent us an electrical adaptator for our stay and there is free wifi at the hotel.
Our room (n°1 with twin beds) was very clean and very calm. This is not a fancy hotel: the rooms are small with no decoration. But we only stayed at the hotel to sleep and we had all the comfort we needed so that didn't matter. There was a fan and a boiler in the room.
The breakfast was very good in terms of quantity and quality (though the English one can be greasy). Make sure to get there early as it can be quite busy.
Overall I had a great stay and would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Room N°1: 2 people (twin beds). Located at the back of the hotel so very calm.
2 Thank FrenchCactus
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My partner and I love visiting London and we always stay in Alhambra when we do. The staff are always friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed in the main hotel this time, rather than in the building opposite and I enjoyed this more; the rooms seemed to be a bit larger here. It's really good value for money and the location is absolutely brilliant. Have already booked again for a trip in October!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was booked into the Alhambra from 5th-9th August for a week of work in London.

My stay at the hotel was lovely. The room was spotless, with clean bed linen and a change of towels daily. The mattress was firm and I slept like a log every night. The hotel itself was quiet and peaceful (I was worried about being so close to reception as I was on the same level), the breakfasts were great and the staff efficient to a fault!!!

The only tiny thing that may irk some guests is the small breakfast room. Often there was a queue, but as I love a breakfast in bed, and the staff allowed me to eat in my room, it was not a problem for me.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for accommodation in London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bradford
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Firstly, I have to say we enjoyed our stay here. The room we had was spotlessly clean, quiet (at the rear of main hotel) and comfortable. We got a good nights sleep every night which is what counts.
The shower room was tiny but the shower itself was very good (when the water was hot)
Location is excellent, easy to access Kings Cross and the underground. The area always felt safe.
Unfortunately, we had a few issues. mainly with the breakfast which we had high hopes for based on other reviews. On our first morning the toast we were served had mould on it. When we informed our server he replaced it immediately with assurances it had only been that piece but we would have expected at least an apology for being served mouldy food. We found the rest of the cooked breakfast unappetising as well, maybe because of our concerns about the freshness of the ingredients at this point. On the second morning we opted for the continental thinking this might be better but the fruit was tinned and the cheese warm so on our third morning we went elsewhere. We may have had to pay on the last morning but at least we were served with a smile and the tables weren't crammed together. I would much rather have had the breakfast as an optional extra.
Another problem was the lack of hot, or even warm water on our last evening which meant we couldn't get showers, very disappointing.
Reception staff were excellent, always friendly and helpful.
Breakfast staff were efficient but I never saw them smile once.
On our last morning housekeeping tried to get in twice to clean the room while we were getting ready, the second time just unlocking the door and walking in without knocking. Not sure why they didn't wait until we had checked out!
Despite the complaints I would still consider this hotel if I was wanting a budget hotel in London again. I would also recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel are very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
South Yorkshire
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in a family room (room 25) for 4 nights in August 2013. The room was small however reasonably adequate with one double bed and a single bed. The bathroom was tiny, with just a toilet and a shower in it. The sink was in the main bedroom alongside the single bed. The double bed itself was dropping to bits underneath, the lining of the bed itself was all ripped and was hanging down on the carpet, the comfort of the bed itself however was ok and the sheets/bedding were clean. There was a fair amount of noise outside from the traffic etc, but this is pretty much unavoidable in London. There were a couple of delivery lorries making deliveries at 1am on the Sunday evening/Monday morning which was suprising!
We only went for breakfast two out of the four mornings we were there. The breakfast, although pleasant was not what you would call 'a full english' as stated. You were given one sausage, one rasher of bacon, a tiny pot of baked beans on the side and one fried egg. There was however toast given to your table. I cannot comment on the continental breakfast as none of us had this. The staff were friendly and happy to help. The breakfast room itself was small and down in the basement of the hotel itself.

Anyone with walking difficulties I would not suggest to stay here if their room was on any other floor than ground as there are no lifts. The stairs themselves throughout the hotel are steep and is the only access to and from the rooms and also down to the breakfast room.

Our room was cleaned every day and towels were replaced on our request. All in all we had an adequate stay. We only required the room to shower and sleep in and did not spend alot of time in it other than for those purposes. The main positive for this hotel however is its location. A 2 minute walk from Kings Cross Railway Station and St Pancras, and the same distance away from the tube station.

All in all our stay was adequate, the disappointment being the breakfast.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My primary consideration in finding a place in London, aside from cost and location, was my husband's sleeping problems. He is easily disturbed and very grumpy when he doesn't get enough sleep. I emailed the hotel to ask if they could please find us a quiet room, and also asking for a cot to be put in our double room. Most hotels would have said the room was too small for a cot, but not at the Alhambra. They put us on the first floor (which in American means the second floor), away from any underground noise, and in the back. It was so quiet, even with the window open. The whole building seems really well insulated against noise. I was so relieved. Sure, the place is small but super clean, everything worked, good shower, and terrific breakfast. The staff was very helpful and printed out info on getting to Heathrow on the tube (cheapest way is a straight shot from Kings Cross, which is two minutes from the hotel).

Room Tip: Rooms above the ground floor and away from the street are very, very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple