“Lovely restaurant - pity about the service”
Review of The Gilbert Scott

The Gilbert Scott
Ranked #870 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Great British dining is executed perfectly at Marcus Wareing's The Gilbert Scott with a menu featuring British produce cooked to perfection. The beautifully grand Gilbert Scott bar presents fine bespoke cocktails and an imaginative wine list. There is a private dining room for large parties and the Kitchen Table is perfect for an extravagant meal, close to the lively hub of the kitchen.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have dined at this beautiful restaurant a few times when we visit London and have always been impressed. However, on this occasion, we were really disappointed with the time we had to wait. First of all we had to wait far too long to place our order. The starters arrived and were excellent, however we then waited at least 45 minutes for our main course. The manager was most apologetic, but said things like "Your food is next on the pass" when clearly it wasn't! We didn't ever receive a reasonable explanation and it really spoiled what should have been a special evening for my Husband's birthday. The food was fine but did not live up to its elegant surroundings.

1  Thank InezEdinburgh

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ventured down for lunch without a booking on a Thursday and so glad we did. Front of restaurant ladies not the most warm or engaging but we were delighted to have a table on our child free lunch date.

First off, the restaurant is gorgeous. Historical, grand and understated. Not easy to accomplish, the gin bar very attractive but as it was lunch so we abstained. We chose the set three course lunch, wonderful variety and we weren't disappointed. We loved the tomato entree, mains - the pork chop and sea trout were delicious. Desserts loved loved the best bread & butter pudding we've ever had.

After the initial coldish arrival the restaurant staff were fantastic! Jan michel ( hope that spelling is right) as maitre de was warm and friendly. We were very happy to have the lovely Conor look after us and he had the right balance of service and personality perfected. He really made our experience perfect, we bought two copies of Marcus new cookbook and were delighted with the personal inscription. Sommelier was so friendly and approachable and picked a gorgeous light red for us, we just really enjoyed our date. A tour of the kitchen was an added treat and as a huge Marcus Wareing fan really my day. Just wish he had been there, probably best for him he wasn't.

Have recommended to friends and hope to be back.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my second visit to the Gilbert Scott, I loved it the first time and loved it just as much the second if not more. Beautiful decor, lovely service and great food. I had the oysters and then hake and both were truly delicious. Love the ambience and the pianist playing at regular intervals. I hope to go back again next year - it's special. If you get the chance go!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

It was my first visit to the restaurant, which had been highly recommended by a relative. We had a drink in the gin garden first and then ate in the main restaurant. The ambience was very relaxed with very attentive service. Food was very good with a good choice of food. The only downside to the experience was when I found a bone in my main course (clearly shouldn't have been there) and the waiting staff did little to apologise for this outside of delivering complementary sorbet, which was nice but not wanted. The dessert menu is fantastic and sorbet was definitely not up to scratch.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I dined here on Thursday evening. The setting is spectacular and well worth a look. However the food did not match up to the setting. As a veggie I was disappointed with the basic offerings. I chose an onion dish which basically comprised of two medium onions with a tiny bit of stuffing perched on the top. Not a balanced meal as there were only a couple of minuscule cheese dumplings which i assume were the token protein element. The additional cover charge and auto addition of a service charge of 12.5% bumped up the overall cost of two starters and two main courses and no drinks at all to c£60. A price that we would not have objected to had the meal been of higher quality.