“New Years Eve, Never again..”
Review of King's Cross Hotel

King's Cross Hotel
Ranked #398 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Why we paid £150 for this hotel i do not know. Got there and was put in the smallest room. They didn't supply any towels and we had to get ready to go out, and the bloke kept saying they had to wait for a delivery, why they get a delivery of towels for i do not know?! So in the end had to go out and buy our own so we didnt miss NYE. There was no duvet just bed sheets so was freezing, and woke up itchy?! There 'Full english breakfast' consisted of 'Fried egg, tiniest bit of cold beans and under cooked toast. Take ours and everyone elses advise and go stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go choose somewhere else!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for New Year's Eve and at a £140 a room. What we got was not worth £4!!! We we're greeted by a friendly guy. But that's where it began to go down hill. The smell in the hall way was disgusting. The rooms at first glance we're very basic and after further inspection it was worse. Where do I begin. Mouldy unclean fridge in the corner of the room. Lamp had a bulb missing. Toilet seat was broken. Unclean sheets that didn't even fit the bed, so woke up in the morning to find we we're sleeping on a dirty stained mattress. We had to beg for towels as they hadn't had a delivery but they eventually turned up with some. From where I don't know?? The only positive was that the shower was pretty good considering we we're on the top floor and it had good pressure. But even that turned bad when it suddenly decided to go super hot and scalded me. And saving the best for last. The cooked breakfast. Remember £140 a night per room. When told by the clearly irritated cook(term used very loosely) what breakfast was I almost blew my top. Breakfast consisted of beans, toast and eggs. I asked about bacon and sausage. To be told "no sorry". We had to make our own tea in the kitchen where our fantastic breakfast was being prepared in the microwave. Having run out of apple juice we asked for more where a 75 pence carton( price on carton) of juice was brought out, tasted like wee. Our breakfast arrived. 1 and half slices of barely cooked toast and a solitary over cooked fried egg and a meagre portion of cold beans. No sauces on the table. No cutlery on the table, had to forage for our own. And to top it all off as my wife finishing her cup of tea the so called cook came and told us she was now closed and breakfast( term used very very loosely) was finished and whisked it away. My sister in law then told me she was covered in bite marks from whatever was living in her bed. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COST!!! These people should not be allowed to run a dogs kennel never mind a hotel. They might think this is a high standard but to us it was a disgraceful slum that seriously let's the industry down. Seriously not acceptable and needs shutting down!!!!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We needed a place to stay in Kings Cross for one night before our early Eurostar train to Paris. We read the reviews and thought "noo it won't be too bad, it will be fine for 6 hours". WRONG. We walked into a horribly smelling reception area and were greeted by a friendly man. We were told we had a basement room. We got down there to find damp, mouldy carpet, mouldy shower and toilet, paint peeling off all walls, and an absolutely disgusting doona we didn't dare use. The bed was hard. The room was freezing. There was hair in the sink. The toilet was basically in the shower. On the flip side, it was a perfect location for what we needed. Max 5 min walk to St Pancras station. Do not waste your money here. Spend an extra £10 and find a different place.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked two rooms for a weekend trip London. My parents and us two grown up kids were there for three days. The location was perfect, the beds ok, but no closet space whatsoever. The rooms were small, but we spent virtually no time at the hotel, so we were ok with that. The bathroom was clean, but the sheets were not.
Staff was very friendly, but not all spoke English as well as us ;-).

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bathroom. The ones in the hallway looked bad.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked this hotel as I needed something close to Kings Cross for a very early departure. I arrived at Kings Cross Hotel and a note was on the door saying that they would be five minutes, please wait. Eventually someone turned up and let me in. The reception area looked okay, clean and tidy and I thought that it wouldn't be too bad, after being quite nervous after reading other reviews. I was immediately charged £89.99 and shown to my room- downstairs in the basement. To be fair the man who showed me to my room did welcome me, carry my bag and show me where everything was. However, when he left and I had a good look around I was horrified. The room was filthy. Thick, ingrained dirt and dust on the lamps (I didn't dare switch them on) and the toilet was rotten - thick black mould on the bowl and mould all over the walls. The shower was attached to the wall in the toilet with a rusty soap dish and someone elses hair over the walls. Needless to say I didn't use it. The bed linen was however clean and the bed was quite comfortable. Not a lot of sleep though as could continuously hear the people in room above and creaky floorboards. Tea and coffee in room was cheap and horrible. I didn't stay for breakfast so cannot comment on that. Pictures on website are not a true representation of the rooms (or at least the room I had). I will not stay again or recommend to anyone else needing somewhere for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Just don't go.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Claire M
Reviewed October 8, 2012

we were there for 6 nights and it was a perfect place to stay,
24 hours reception with excellent customer services and the nice clean and comfort room
never had a single problem in 6 days, breakfast was basic but as per price of the room was not too much so it was okay with us...
i would recommend this hotel for your stay as with reasonable price just 1 minute walk to Kings Cross St Pancras station. Excellent Location and with clean and tidy room without any noise in London is a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter although front side is also not too bad. Room on 2nd and 3rd flo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

In a nut shell... We arrived to find another persons bag of clothes in our room, worrying? I returned it to reception, up and down 3 flights of stairs, no Thankyou no sorry, I had to double check no one else was booked into or had our room key! £95 for a night in a room where the mattress had sank in the middle. Very uncomfortable with 2 people sharing! No duvet just sheets. Only one mug in the room? 2 people sharing? It's the lack of attention to detail, the fact they have in stalled a hand sink in an ensuite baffles me, I couldn't wash my hands let alone my face or brush my teeth adequately. I couldn't fit the kettle under the tap to make a cuppa in my one shared mug! 24hour reception?! We stumbled back around 3am to have to bang the front door for 5 minutes because the staff member decided to have a nap under the desk!

The worst part, I can deal with the rest of the mess, after trying to sleep on the soggy mattress and no duvet (just a few sheets) I was awoken at 8am by cleaners in the next room, they didn't try to be quiet as our door got banged several times as they were walking past, the walls are paper thin and one of the staff sounded like she was coughing up her lungs. We didn't check out till 12 as I managed 2 hours sleep after this. All in all it made me rather miserable, sticking to the well known hotels from now on as you pay for what you get. Here we got ripped off because of its location and position near tube station. If anybody reading this is dealing with this hotels complaints procedure I'd like some sort of response please. Hspotdot1@hotmail.com

• Stayed: September 2012