“Great Hotel,excellent location”

Ranked #406 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Scotland
“Great Hotel,excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

Hotel was fantastic. Our room was very large, aswell as the en suite. It was exceptionally clean, and the staff were also very friendly.

The location couldn't have been better. You can walk to the underground without even having to go outside as the hotel is park of Paddington Train Station, which was also beneficial for getting to Heathrow aswell! Even with this you could not hear the station from the room, which was very quite.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2007

Prepaid the room at an excellent rate - for London. Location at the Paddington Station is great for anyone arriving or departing via Heathrow. Also an excellent business location being on the Rail, Tube and Bus lines. The hotel was clean and the staff was great. Check was fast, but not really friendly. My room was spacious by London standards. The room was also very, very clean. Bathroom actually had enough space to move around in.

Nearby shopping and dining is excellent. Even the food court at the Rail Station was excellent. Hotel itself was peaceful and quiet.

Would definately stay at this location again.

• Stayed January 2007
4 Thank bjaysfan21
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2007

Have just returned from a surprise weekend away in London where we stayed in The Hilton in Paddington.

My fiance chose the hotel primarily due to it's location as we didn't have much time after arriving to get across London as we were going to a show - the location couldn't have been better. We literally stepped off the station platform into a lift and into the hotel Check in was easy - no fuss, member of staff was training so was a little slow but has to happen.

Our room was a Deluxe room on the 3rd floor and was great - airy, large and comfortable. It had everything we needed from hairdryer, ice bucket, coffee perculator and we liked the 2 single duvets on the double bed - no fighting for them.

Hotel service was fine - nothing fantastic, but perfectly pleasant.

We had dinner on the first evening which was included in our package. We arrived after 9pm and found everything to still be very fresh and a great selection. It was a biffet with great soup, cold starters, a vast selection of main courses and FANASTIC desserts. The restaurant was quite busy so not romantic or intimate but it did the job.

Breakfast was great - again a huge variety of meats, rolls, salad, yoghurt etc, toast machine, cereal, everything you could think of for an English breakfast and then juices, coffee, pastries - great.

One negative is the price of drinks - £8 for a small glass of wine and £4 for a cola. We bought drinks and snacks from M&S and Sainsbury underneath in the station which was open til late.

This hotel is a great hotel for transport links with the tube and trains just underneath and the bus just outside. We even found a number 27 bus which went directly to Camden from the hotel (24 hr).

Would definitely use this hotel again

Stayed February 2007
5 Thank Trace71
Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2007

Wonderful hotel for a young couple looking to explore London.

The location is virtually perfect for commuting -- directly atop both the Paddington national rail (for trips to/from Heathrow) and tube station (to get downtown.) Also, a few of the city bus lines run past the hotel -- a form of transport we wish we had explored earlier in our stay. The immediate neighborhood isn't especially noteworthy, though Hyde Park is just a short walk away.

The room was gorgeous and spacious (and we are used to American rooms.) Well lighted and decorated with very modern fixtures. No view, but you can't have it all. It did not come stocked with robes or slippers -- one thing we have come to appreciate -- but they were delivered after a quick call to housekeeping.

Service overall was great. One minor complaint -- we needed just a set of silverware in the room to eat a cake we had brought along, and room service charged 3.50 pounds for the delivery. We thought a nice tip should suffice.

One of our favorite aspects of the hotel was the complimentary breakfast. While we expecting the standard Continental fare, it was a first-class buffet complete with made-to-order omlettes, delicious tomatoes, and pastries. We even stashed a few muffins in our rucksacks to keep us during our long museum expeditions. Don't tell anyone.

We would HIGHLY recommend the Hilton Paddington to anyone visiting London (as long as you are willing to ride the tube).

One other tip -- if you are looking for a great, cheap meal near the hotel, stop by the soup counter in the national rail station. Amazing!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room service
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Timmeh!
Cambridgeshire - England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2007

What a lovely hotel, we have just returned from seeing in the New Year at the London Eye & stayed at the Hilton Paddington. We were a little dubious when we booked as last summer we spent 2 nights at the Hilton Hyde park & it was terrible.

we booked through the Hilton website & dinner on the 1st night as well as breakfast on both mornings was included. Our room was outstanding, with a terrace & picture window on the 5th floor overlooking London, views from the London eye to the Albert hall without going onto the terrace. A large comfortable bed with 2 duvets (stops any fighting) was lovely as we are both over 6ft & with a flat screen TV at the foot of the bed. The bathroom had a bath & seperate shower & was spacious.

Considering the hotel was fully booked & had a large New years function taking place we were not disturbed at all by noise or drunken revellers I am very pleased to say. The only down side was we had to queue for breakfast on the following morning as the hotel was full, but a small price to pay.

The pens are also made from recycled sources, fantastic :-)

Location was fabulous & staff were polite & courteous we would reccomenfd this hotel & will definatley be staying there again.

• Liked — Our fabulous room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank toggles
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2006

I stayed at the Hilton Paddington for two nights in July of 2006-one night at the beginning of my trip and the other night before returning home. I choose the hotel based on it's location to Paddington Station.

Check-in is not until 3:00 (I knew this when I booked) and as I arrived at 12:30 from Los Angeles I was a little exhausted. The front desk stored my luggage and I went walking (always recommented after a long flight to get out the cobwebs). I felt very safe in the area and I headed straight for Hyde Park.

I did not eat at the hotel or use the mini-bar. There are nice restuarants in the area and the train station also has food options. I bought a sandwich and a soda to take to the park for a picnic. Later I bought milk and fruit from Sainsbury for breakfast. Beware of the mini-bar. They are always over priced and they are electronically loaded. This means that even if you move things to put in your own stuff, the item will be billed to your account. However, a quick phone call and it was removed with no problem.

When I went to my room, I found it clean and adequate in size. I knew I wasn't staying in the room long so I don't expect glamor. My only compaint was the jack-hammering that I could hear. I took a shower and it sounded as if the room was vibrating. I tried to take a short nap, but it was very loud. I gave up on the nap and went back outside. When I returned after dinner, the noise had stopped and I had a quiet night.

The next day I spent walking in the park again until I had to catch my train for Oxford. The front desk again held my luggage and gave me info on how to catch the train . Very helpful and pleasant.

I spent my second night after my two weeks in Oxford area. Upon check-in, I asked if the jackhammering project was finished. I had not complained before because it stopped and it was before 5:00 p.m. But I did tell them that if it was still going on now I would like a room far away from the workers. I was informed that they were done and they upgraded me to a nicer room. I thought that was a nice touch. The front desk again held my luggage until check-in time. I took the train to Windsor for the day and had a great time.

I would recommend this hotel. When reading other reviews, I often find people are very critical when perhaps it is not warranted. European ratings are not what Americans are used to and just face it, you are not at home having your mommy taking care of you.

• Liked — loaction to train station
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank itraveleurope
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2006

Arrived late from the airport, and checked into a small room with queen bed and room for little else. Ordered a light dinner (soup and salad) from room service and it was quite good. Rooms are highly variable - I have had much better - in this hotel with those on lower floors being better than those on the upper floors.

Lttle needs to be said of the location: excellent. Three or four subway lines have direct access; the Paddington Express takes 15 minutes or so to the airport; and the Great First Western Railroad offers access to Southwest England and sourthern Wales. None of the subway lines are handicapped accessible, hower.

My computer died on my first night there; don't know if from a power surge. So, I had to use the business center for Internet access - at an astonishing price of GBP5 for 30 minutes! Simple access to a computer cost the same. Outrageous! I found a small internet shop directly across the street that charged GBP2 for an hour! And provided fair coffee besides!

The Executive Club is an insult. A room convered to a club room by removing the bed and putting in a couple of tables and uncomfortable chairs. They would be better off closing it and simply saying they are providing a free breakfast instead.

Breakfast was, however, a treat! A full English breakfast complete with black pudding, fried bread and beans was served in a buffet piping hot. Great. Treated a friend to dinner there and found it to be quite good, if expensive.

The prices of vitals in the minibar are astronomically expensive. But like the Internet Shop across the street, there are two markets in the attached train station (open until midnight) that sell diet cokes for GBP0.63 as compared with GBP4.50 in the minibar. They also offer good sandwitches, fresh fruit, wines and other good stuff.

The area around the train station seems safe and accessible. A nearby street had 10 restaurants ranging from a couple of steak houses to Indian and Italian. By appearance, not great but certainly acceptable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room on the first floor