“Loved the convenient location...but”

Hilton London Paddington
Ranked #395 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Madison,NJ USA
“Loved the convenient location...but”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

I was not happy with the guest treatment. We had booked 2 double rooms (connected) more than 2 months before our stay. We were traveling as a family of 4,(2 adults,2 teen children). When we checked in we were told our rooms were not connected,in fact we were in separate wings of the hotel. Of course we were upset, but our requests for at least rooms in close proximity fell on deaf ears. We were promised rooms connected the next day,and were assured that our luggage would also be moved by staff so we would not lose a sightseeing day, however that did not happen either. We came back to the hotel at 6:30 p.m.and then after again requesting the change we were accomodated. For our inconvenience we were given access to the Executive Lounge, but would have preferred our room request to be honored instead of the inconvenience and poor "guest" treatment. Also, be careful when you order coffee in the dining room. I ordered one cup of coffee and was charged $12. Besides the outrageous cost, the coffee was awful.I was very disappointed in the attitude of the Hilton personnel as we are "Hilton Honored Guest" members and frequently stay at Hilton properties,but it didn't seem to matter to management. The location of the hotel was great,but unless the stay is short,in the future we will avoid this property and spend our money elsewhere .

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Attitude of management and front desk personnel
1 Thank Jotur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed August 28, 2008

Stayed for two days last week at the Hilton as part of a joint business / vacation trip from the US. It's great for anyone traveling to/from LHR but other than that, it's nothing special for the money.

Location: both Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect go into Paddington, and the hotel is connected to the station. Given that we got into Paddington at 10 pm, this was a godsend to not have to get on to the tube or into a taxi from there. But the area surrounding Paddington is dull and not near any of the major attractions. It's a 10- to 15-minute walk to Hyde Park, and most everything else that the average visitor wants to see is a tube ride away. It's also not really near the major business centers though there were many, many businesspeople about.

Room: we were "upgraded" to an executive room, which was average by UK standards (and frighteningly claustrophobic by US Hilton standards). But everything was clean and quiet.

Breakfast: our room rate included breakfast, which was quite good for a buffet. Good mix of English, continental and American choices. Most every room seemed to get a free breakfast, so if you don't get it, you might as well ask for it. Breakfast runs late; until 10:30.

Service: we had a very hard time getting room service after 10 pm on the first night, but otherwise the staff were friendly.

Overall, if you're coming into London for a quick in-and-out from Heathrow, it's as convenient as it gets. But if you want something longer-term for a visit, you can get the Hilton on Green Park, Tower Bridge, Park Lane or Trafalgar for similar rates and be more near where you'll want to be.

• Liked — central to Paddington
  • Disliked — not central to anything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank cortez1973
los angeles
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Check-in time at the Hilton Paddington is 3:00 p.m., so I did not expect to get into a room when I arrived at noon. I was correct, so I checked my bags with the concierge. I asked if I could use the phone to call my friend because I needed to change our meeting plans. (My mobile phone doesn't work in the U.K.) I was told I had to go back to Paddington station and use a pay phone. Now, mind you, I am a Hilton Honors member, and I was told because I had no room number yet, I could not use the phone in either the business center or the executive lounge.

I managed to meet my friends, and we decided to go to the theatre. At around 5:30 p.m. I called the hotel and told them I would be late checking in. They asked what time, and I said 11:00 p.m., and they said that's fine. I arrived to check in at 10:30, and the front desk clerk told me the hotel was over-booked and they were sending people to another hotel. What?!!! I threw a mini fit, which led to the intervention of a manager, and they gave me a room.

I realize this is probably the busiest Hilton hotel in the world, and they couldn't care less about customer service, but stil, this episode made a bad impression on me.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank mayla
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. It couldn't have been easier to take the Heathrow Express directly there and I had access to the Tube whenever I needed to get somewhere. Plus the Paddington station area has a great grocery store in it, as well as some food stands, so everything was within walking distance.

I actually arrived a little early and they kindly accommodated this weary traveler...the staff was top notch and the food was good as well.

One thing to be aware of: The minibar uses sensors...I had accidentally knocked over a Pringles can and another food item when checking to see if there was enough storage room for my water bottle...and they appeared on my bill. However, as soon as I pointed out this error, they immediately removed it, so al was well.

The room was also nice, quiet and comfortable. Would definitely return again—you can't beat the location!

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — Not much not to like!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Soriah
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on a four-day trip to London over Memorial Day weekend.

First, this hotel is so simple to get to from Heathrow. Just hop on the Heathrow Express, and in 15 minutes you are at the doorstep. We loved being near Paddington Station, where you can catch the tube/buses to the rest of the city or the train to Oxford.

Our reservation included a daily buffet-style breakfast that offered something for everyone. I would recommend doing this if you can. We ate a huge breakfast and often skipped lunch, which meant more money in our wallet and more time for sightseeing. You can also grab a bite at the many eateries in Paddington Station -- Eat., Starbucks, Boots, etc.

The rooms were large enough and quite clean, with plenty of natural light -- even for dreary London. The bathroom was spacious and clean. My only complaint was that the bed was rock hard; it felt like you were sleeping on a board. Still, the linens were very comfortable and clean. As usual, the minibar was incredibly expensive; you could get the same snacks at Boots in Paddington Station for much less.

There is a club/bar/casino in the lobby, and it can get kind of crowded late at night, but the sound was never an issue once we were in our room.

Overall, we had an enjoyable experience, and we would definitely stay here on our next trip to London.

• Liked — Easy access to transportation, from the airport to major attractions to nearby towns
  • Disliked — Bed was way too hard
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jennifernycity
nyc
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We just returned from a one night stay at the Paddington Hilton which we selected for its proximity to Paddington station for our last night in London. Literally the station is out the back door. There is a bridge from the back entrance that leads directly into Paddington station and is a two minute walk to Heathrow Express which then takes only 15 minutes to Heathrow airport. This worked for us since we had a lot of bags to carry. We checked in to a good sized well decorated and clean room and after dropping off the bags went directly into Paddington station and took the Great Western train to Windsor Castle and its beautiful town with shops and restaurants. Paddington also connects to Bath and other locations in Southern England. The Paddington underground station also makes easy connections around London and is not far from the stop for Baker Street and Madame Tussaud's. The room had a double bed and a cot for my son. A refrigerator. A wonderful sized bathroom and tub compared to pint size bathrooms in other hotels we stayed at. The hotel is an attractive building in a high traffic area on Praed Street--with bus depot, train station etc. but we did not hear traffic noises in our room which was airconditioned. I would definitely stay here again. There was a McDonald's and Burger King within one block of the hotel so it is not Knightsbridge if you want a posh area. Paid about $280 U.S. with tax via a popular hotel website deal but breakfast was not included. If booked here again would do it directly through Hilton website. Ths hotel's standard posted rates were much higher and they seemed to cater to a very weatthy Mideastern clientele and business crowd. There were families with children as well. We went out of the area to restaurants. Hotel service was generally good although they could have been friendlier upon arrival. Room was ready on time when we checked in at about 1 p.m.

• Liked — Convenience to connecting transportation and trains
  • Disliked — I wish breakfast prices were more reasonable
1 Thank jrknyc
South Carolina
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Rooms small, noisy and not clean. Doors to hallway did not provide any sound barrier. You could hear conversations up and down the hallway. Exterior bedspread and bedskirt dirty and stained. No noise barrier between floors and roudy room above kept us awake all night. Not just roudy, but bouncing basketball against walls and floor. Complaints to desk did not help....desk said they went to room and found everyone asleep. Unless you just had to stay there because Paddington Rail station attached, don't do it.

• Liked — Attached to Paddington rail station
  • Disliked — Dirty
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank laurel607