“Missed Doorman in Grey Overcoat”

Hilton London Paddington
Ranked #406 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is not a review.. Not having ever having stayed there . This is not a review.
Where is Hilton Hotel in Paddington's black Doorman? He was there for years. Missed.
We used to see him from across the road outside Paddington Underground Station.
I think he is/was a great character playing his part in assisting travellers/visitors/guests in hailing
taxis for guests outside the Hotel. Always immaculately dressed for his role.

Sheila Charles
London

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheila C
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Sheila C. I am delighted to say that the gentlemen you are writing about is still with us and can normally be found at the Hotel between Monday and Friday. Charles is indeed a character and I am sure that his very happy behaviour has helped many a person to have a great day. Thank you for taking the time to write about one of our many fantastic team members. Regards Mark.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,138)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night in early March - arrived late in the evening and after some initial problems with my booking, I was given a standard room which I actually thought was an executive room as it was very nicely appointed and furnished. I even had a fantastic view of the top of Paddington station from my bedroom, which looked great - especially at night.

Breakfast was fantastic with a live cooking station for Omelettes etc - I loved it.

Highly recommended hotel if a little pricey. Great location, great bedrooms!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the centre of the hotel looking over the station - great view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear neiltomo.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hilton London Paddington. The team and I were very happy to read that you had enjoyed your time at the Hotel, despite your initial problem at the start of your stay. My apologies for the inconvenience caused, but hopefully the remainder of your stay was to our normal high standard. I look forward to being able to welcome you back to the Hotel again soon. Kind regards, Mark.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The reason I stayed at the Hilton Paddington is the location. You take the Heathrow Express from LHR, and in 20 minutes you are at the hotel. You can take the escalator up from Paddington Station, and it takes you right to the hotel lobby. This is a huge boon and allows you to plan to day better (getting in and out of London gets very predictable).

Outside of that, the hotel itself is not exactly wow. Its functional. Breakfast is the usual, the internet is charged for but works well in the hotel rooms, and the rooms themselves are not really big but decent.

I also ordered room service one day - it was quick, and the food decent. The hotel was also quick to turnaround requests like ironing suits, etc.

If I am back in London for work, I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank PedroPony76

Dear virgo_08.
Delighted to hear that our easy access to the Heathrow Express helped you enjoy your time in London and that you were able to make the most of it. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards Mark.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We enjoyed 4 delightful nights in London at this hotel. A very comfortable hotel in a great location. Our bedroom was a bit small, but quite functional, and very well equipped. The bathroom was fine. Great tub & shower. Free wi-fi in the lobby, a very good restaurant and comfortable coctail lounge in the lobby. There is an indoor connection between the hotel and Paddington Station. Inside Paddington Station is a passageway to the Tube, London's subway system, and numerous trains including one that is an express train direct to Heathrow Airport. There are numerous shops, inexpensive restaurants, and a couple of small grocery stores inside of Paddington Station. We saved money by purchasing some basic foods and taking them back to our room for a few of our meals. Wonderful sightseeing in this neighborhood, including a short walk to Hyde Park, and very convenient to travel by the Tube to all the famous sights.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked Paddington Station, not a particularly great view. You might ask for a room loo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Tom K. Thank you for taking the time to tell fellow travelers about your experience at the Hilton London Paddington. The team and I were delighted to see that not only did you manage to enjoy the Hotel, but also were able to explore the local area and the historical Paddington station. I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to London again soon. Kind regards, Mark.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here during the first weekend in March. Since we landed at Heathrow Airport in the evening it was perfect for us that the hotel was incorporated into Paddington train station. Saved for us for a long and tiresome journey on the tube. Stayed for 3 nights but because of various reasons I had three seperate bookings. One for each night. I feared that this might would become a challenge during check-in in case we had to change room from one night to the other. But the guy at the Front Office did a terrific job and managed to let us stay in the same room for the entire stay.

Because I am a Hilton Honors Gold member I was also upgraded which was much appricated.
The room in question was large and had a nice bathroom with the usual Hilton amenties. In terms of service I did not have much do to with the staff except for the check-in, but as said before the level of service was high during check-in.

Had breakfast in morning in their lounge for Hilton Honors member. The lounge was quite large and had a good choice of serials, cold cuts and bread. The waiters were attentive and discret.
I only have one negative thing to say about my stay, and that was that the A/C did not work properly. Had problems to cool the room down during the night. It has to be said that it was a bit expensive, but affordable in terms of value for money. After my stay Hilton was surprisingly good in the following up my stay. Especially since I mentioned the problem with the a/c in the survey. Really good customer relationship manager!

So I would reccomend this hotel. First of all because of the location which is simply unbeatable and second because of the great level of service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Groundhopper. The team and I were delighgted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The team works very hard on trying to exceed our customers expectations and with the exception of your Air Conditioning issue, it would appear that we were able to do this. Thank you for providing this valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton London Paddington in the near future. Kind regards Mark.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for one night a lovely room but we was told the only one that was left which was a interconnecting one. No heating in room 426 but was quiet. No bath and a disabled shower which wasnt informed to us when booking in.We informed staff in the morning that there wasnt any heating in this room only to be told if we had rang down they would have changed rooms when we ha already been informed there wasnt any:/ so wasnt impressed so paid and left!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Suey123
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Suey123
Obviously I am disappointed to hear that you had not enjoyed your stay with us and I wish to apologise to you for this. I have been to check the room and the issue with the heating is now resolved. It was a quick fix, so I would encourage you in future to please let us know as soon as possible of any issues, so that we can correct them immediately in order to enable you to enjoy your stay. Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention and I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon. Kind regards Mark.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here as a single traveller for a Monday morning business meeting.
Best bit was the bed - so comfortable! A warm and friendly greeting was very welcoming when I arrived on Sunday night straight off the Heathrow express - the Hotel has an entrance inside the station. I was even offered a choice of which floor I wanted ( there are 6) so I asked for the highest and got 5. The higher you are the better the view and the further you are from the traffic, so unless you have seen the towering inferno recently this is the best policy!
No sky sports on the TV, but if you have sky go on your computer or tablet then you can use the free wifi in the public areas. Unfortunately unless you are a privileged guest, then you've got to pay for it in the rooms.
As I expected, the drinks were expensive in the bar and so was breakfast, but there are plenty of good value alternatives nearby for those not on expenses! i.e.most of us nowadays!!
Overall, a satisfactory experience for me, with the prime objective, a good night's sleep, achieved.

Room Tip: The higher the better in my opinion.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear David A. Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.
Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and that your primary objective of a good sleep prior to your business meetings was acheived. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Mark.